Placement of RC7 on top of TV

nuclearay

Hopefully, before the day is out, I will have dragged a Mitsubishi 65711 into my house. I cannot remember if I read on this forum or some other -- that before putting a heavy center channel on top of the television it is wise to have something on top of the TV to distribute the load across the entire surface rather than having all of the weight pushing in the middle. I think that with the weight of an RC7 this sounds pretty good in theory, but I would like to hear from y'all.

I've also heard it's best to try and spread the weight of the RC-7 over the top of a TV. If it was me I'd set it up there and look to see if the top of the TV is deflecting at all from the weight. If so I'd put it on something to spread the load.

Enjoy your new Mitsubishi, I had one of their direct view models for over 12 years and loved it. My sister has had it now for a couple of years and it's still going strong. 1.gif

I recall reading that the best solution was to get a piece of tempered glass cut to fit the top of the Mitsubishi and then place the speaker on top of the glass. You can go to www.hometheaterspot.com, find the Mitsubishi forum, and search for glass top, center speaker placement, or something similar. As I recall they had very specific instructions for this. Good luck!

I am not familiar with the newer models of Mitsubishi so I don't know what series the 65-711 is. I have a Mitsubishi 65-909 Diamond and have been COMPLETELY impressed and pleased with it. I chose the upper end model for several technical reasons but I didn't realize that the piano finish (i.e., hard plastic) would be one of the biggest benefits.

For the last 3 years I have had not only my center speaker on it but 2 DVD players, DirectTV decoder, monster hts 2600 and AV receiver. I have no signs of bowing. Of course YMMV.

----------------

On 5/6/2005 7:24:35 AM WS65711 wrote:

I have a 65711 that I bought in 2002. I also have an RC7. I would NOT put the RC7 directly on top of the 65711 under any circumstances. It's just too heavy!

----------------

In light of WS65711 observations, I would disregard my comments and consider bvkirby recommendation 2.gif

LMAO...you guys question mounting on a RPTV for a RC7, but yet I have a KLF-C7 mounted on top of a TUBE, thank you Klipsch for the mounting screws at the back of the C7, worked out perfect...YES A TUBE...if you question the fit and RPTV you win..2.gif

----------------

On 5/6/2005 10:15:48 PM boomer9911 wrote:

LMAO...you guys question mounting on a RPTV for a RC7, but yet I have a KLF-C7 mounted on top of a TUBE, thank you Klipsch for the mounting screws at the back of the C7, worked out perfect...YES A TUBE...if you question the fit and RPTV you win..
2.gif

----------------

It's not about the fit--It is about the concern of the top of the TV bowing. 2.gif

I have the RC-7 on top of my Mitsu WS-48515. Under the RC-7 I have a Board stained to match the AV center with rubber feet on the outer edges of the board so the weight of the RC center is spread out but really the bulk of it is on the edges of the TV where it is strongest. The board matches the width and depth of the top of the TV.

Guest Anonymous

I like the omni-mount center channel mount I use for my RC-35. It is made of steel and distributes the load very nicely. Also, its back legs have a wide range of adjustment (about 2"-8") and swivel feet for angling the center channel and accomodating for sever slopes sometimes encountered on the back of televisions.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 8:31:54 AM tkdamerica wrote:

----------------

On 5/6/2005 10:15:48 PM boomer9911 wrote:

LMAO...you guys question mounting on a RPTV for a RC7, but yet I have a KLF-C7 mounted on top of a TUBE, thank you Klipsch for the mounting screws at the back of the C7, worked out perfect...YES A TUBE...if you question the fit and RPTV you win..
2.gif

----------------

It's not about the fit--It is about the concern of the top of the TV bowing.
2.gif
----------------

Boomer -

The 65711 is about 5ft wide and the top is relatively thin material, probably less than 3/4" thick.

The inside of the top portion of an RPTV is basically a big hollow box, except for the mirror.

Placing heavy items on top runs the risk of causing the top to sag, possibly pushing the mirror

out of alignment or causing the front lens or protector shield to bow outward. See attached image.

Click for Image

Place the 50lb RC7 on top at your own risk!

I have my RC7 sitting on top of my 61" RPTV....with no problems....

See the RC7 is pretty wide so the load is spread on the front edge...since the rear is held up with the adjustment screw thingy....

The top of TV is particle board with some extra pices glued in certain places....

Thanks everyone for the insight.

The size of the TV in my living room is absolutely frightening. And I don't get skeered easy. It may have something to do with the fact that my previous TV was 27"... I also had the RC7 on top of this TV -- if I remember correctly, both my previous TV and the RC7 were the same width. The speaker was 'OH' so precariously perched on top as the speaker hung off of the back quite a bit.

Now that the Mitsubishi is home, my speakers do not seem so enormous anymore.

For now, I have the RC7 sitting on top of the Mitsu. Until I come up with an ideal solution (be it glass, a shelf, whatever)I think the cabinet should do fine in the short term. This thing is built like a tank.

One step closer to bliss...

12.gif

Ok, I admit it. I AM WRONG. In fact, it's worse than that. I LIED !!!

The folks over in the Mitsubishi forum on HomeTheaterSpot, you know, those that have

lamented that the top of their Mits now sags, those jokers are liars too! I haven't

actually seen all those posts over the past three years, I made it all up.

We here on the KLIPSCH forum know better. We know that we can put all the weight

we want on top of that big open box. It will NEVER sag or bow. We'll show THEM !!!

It's built like a TANK. It would take a BAZOOKA to do it harm.

And anyway, even if it does sag, we here at Klipsch know a really easy way to fix it and

make it like new again. It is really easy to fix, isn't it ???