Can the heresy squawker and tweeter be used in a cornwall?

snuck

Curious as to see.. Im trying to do a DIY corny, Obviously the Heresy woofer cannot be used, but aren't the squawker and tweeter the same? If someone is aware of something important that I'm missing, or knows how this won't work, by all means I need to hear from you!.

Cheers

-vic

If I were to do that project using the drivers and horns you mentioned, I would use a type B crossover like used in a Cornwall and locate some k600 Horns. They come up on Ebay once in awhile.

A heresy crossover would "cross" the woof/mid a 700Hz and MAY screw up the way the woofer is supposed to sound (tuned).

jc

I bet you could probably get away running the cornwall woofer up to 700Hz and not have to bother with changing the horns or crossovers. 600-700Hz is like 1/8th of an octave (one note). I'm sure the reason klipsch used the bigger horn on the cornwall was because the cabinet was already big enough for it to fit and it probably has less distortion than the driver would.

If you're careful with the cabinet construction, you can just use the parts you have now and if you feel the need to use the new horn, then it's just a matter of making the cutout larger and changing out the crossover.

Here is another alternative. Build the Cornwall to spec and use the cabinet as a bass bin. Mount Altec 511B's on top of the cabinet and use a set of Altec drivers as well. Preferably 802-16G's or 902-16's. Mount the K77's on top of the 511's. Easy to do. The type B crossover will work great for this configuration also. This is REALLY a great setup. Especially when powered by quality tube gear.

In some of the Heresy's I've owned (I think about 5 pairs over the years) there was some writing in pencil on the K77s, like -3dB or something similar.

Remember that Klipsch tested all the EV drivers and sent back the ones that weren't up to their standards. The writing on the K77s suggests to me that they may have selectively used K77s that were a little lower in output specifically for Heresy's. This could be a way of helping to balance out the sometimes top-heavy Heresy frequency response.

If this is the case, it may be not as desirable to use a K-77 from a Heresy in a Cornwall, etc. This is just speculation on my part--I have never made any measurements to see if the Heresy tweeters were actually lower in output. Would be nice to see if Andy remembers any arrangement with certain K-77s being specified for Heresy's.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Interesting point about using the type B network with the Altec drivers you mentioned. I have given this some thought but for a different reason. Have you tried this combination?

I have seen the use of the Altec drivers with some of Al's networks in which you could change the taps for different dB of the sqwauker. I understand the imedance matching would work but what about the sensitivity. Any one know the sensitivity of the popular Altec drivers such as the 902B (8 or 16 ohm)? Would the Altec substitution be too "hot"?

jc