The Phantom of the Opera

dkp

All in all a very good movie-definitely one for your collection if you are partial to the music included within. I've seen Phantom twice in Toronto and while the movie was (musically) a definite step down from the theater, it was by no means a slouch. Not much to add on the script, but the black & white was kind of neat (not included throughout). One thing that really irritated me was the mismatch between the actors lips and the soundtrack. At times it seemed like I was watching one of those old Japanese movies. This didn't seem to occur all the way through the movie, but it was frequent enough to be an annoyance. Although I haven't watched all the way through, I've seen it in the theater and this is definitely a great movie to own.

Demo scenes: 8-10 and 20. (from what I've seen thus far)

David

----------------

On 5/14/2005 2:30:24 PM Allan Songer wrote:

My favorite review of this show:

My mentor in the movie prop business said this after seeing the original production in New York years ago.

"I liked it just fine. I thought BOTH songs were good."

Damning with faint praise at it's BEST!

----------------

So true -- all the songs sound almost like different versions of the same song all "Andrew Lloyd Weberized".

I liked this DVD, though. Mainly because there are so many elements outside of the opera house that give background to what is a timeless story. And Miss Rossum is a goddess--And Minnie Driver is the ultimate diva--

Using the captions enhances the experience because almost all the dialog is sung and the accents are strong, so its easier to follow what the characters' words are --

I sure would like to see more good musicals and rock operas in the movies--

Fantastic movie, full of grandeur, spectacle, and eye-popping visuals. I've seen the play, I'm intimately familiar with the Michael Crawford/Sarah Brightman recordings, and this movie did those perfect justice. Granted, the actors weren't nearly as skilled in their delivery of Webber's intricate, interweaving songs, but they still do a pretty damn fine job.

Whether or not you've seen the Broadway production, buy this DVD. If nothing else, it's worth it simply for the stirring, evocation, truly moving music.

• 2 weeks later...