DVD PLayer recommendations

drick

I'm looking for some suggestions on a new DVD player. I currently have a Sony DVP-NS975V, which is far and away the biggest disappointment of any product i've ever purchased from Sony. This is my second unit, and it just died on me again. I am in the process of sending it back to Sony to get it repaired (which i have to pay for of course), so i need a new unit.

I need a unit that has excellent sound, and 1080i upscaling to match the rest of system http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=54764&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={0678A162-6C98-4E02-8A99-56F34C0C458D}

I was looking at the Denon DVD-2910 or perhaps the Samsung DVD-HD941?

Any suggestions?

any other suggestions then besides the 2910? I do care a LOT about sound quality.

p.s. i would like to be able to watch burned DVD +R DL disks on it as well, looking at the specs, it appears it can handle it just fine.

May I ask an aside question WITHOUT hijacking the thread.

You mention the need for 1080p playback, and this raises a question that I would appreciate your insight on...

As the VAST majority of the sets that most people think are (and which are being represented as) HDTV ready are infact ONLY EDTV capable (852x480 res) or (1024x769 res/1024x1024 res, where the signal is scaled DOWN to the set's native resolution), and sets exhibiting 1280x768 or 1366x768 that only natively supporting 720p...

Does anyone really have a 1920x1080 res TV capable of NATIVELY supporting 1080p HD video?

If someone can help me out here I would appreciate it - simply private message me so that it does not further mix this thread!, as I have not found anything for less then $10K that proposes to do this!

Thanks ...

Now get back to answering this gentleman's question!

well that is actually a good point as it appears that my tv has a max resolution of 1386 x 788 Pixels? Not sure what that equates to in regards to 480, 720, etc. , but am i going down the wrong path here?

720p

You may be able to find an optimal player for slightly less money that will do exactly what you need.

Just a thought.

I have run into this issue as I have started looking around. Lots of promises, but much less as far as what has been actually realized! And even LESS content! 2.gif9.gif But the prospect of Jerry Springer Oprah and MaxX and Street Smarts at 1080p is awfully inviting!2.gif3.gif

----------------

On 5/15/2005 7:47:55 PM damonrpayne wrote:

I was looking at the DVD-HD 950 (replacement for the 941) when it comes out. Some peple (IndyKlipschFan) are using other Samsung models and I haven't heard any complaints.

----------------

i went down to the local best buy, and picked up the HD-850, and am NOT very impressed with it. sound and picture quality are both significantly less than the sony.

any ideas as to when the 950 comes out? i looked on their web site, and it doesn't say. i kind of need one now.

I would humbly disagree... The Samsung model I have (the 931) is outstanding sound wise... Picture wise, I use the 1080 out setting on a DVI cable...it is flat out incredible in HDTV which my HDTV also a Samsung...also up converts to a OUTSTANDING pics..

Put it this way... The my DVD's look 99.99999% as good as the HDTV signals I get. As for the sound...

Sound quality is just as breathlessly incredible. I use an optical cable out of the DVD player directly to the Aragon Stage One for sound. Again I am very happy!

I always love people who do not own a particular piece of equipment and dog it... I DO own the 931 and could not be happier... Seriously. I was at the CEDIA show and saw it hooked up with RCA, S, component, and DVI side by side... DVI does look MUCH better...

As a side note.. Samsung has a new HD DVD player out this month (May) A Model 950. The dealers may be a little reluctant to carry it, if for nothing else, it comes WITH the 6 foot HDMI (the same as DVI plus sound) cable for free... I think it is a absurd value, but can't remember if it is 299 or 399 retail.. Most people charge 200 for a 6 ft DVI HDMI cable.. THAT is what is absurd!!

Do not get too sucked into negative biases by some who have never seen these units or do not sell them at your retailer. Compare stats like I did Samsung packs a LOT of machine for a great value with all the bells and whistles too.

My opinion... yes. But, I have it, and I KNOW how good it is too.

I have heard some issues with the 941, and not all models in the Samsung line may produce the above results. Shop carefully. If the 950 is an improvement somehow.. I will order it for the 2nd HT in a heartbeat.

Info below:

Specifications for the 950.

www.samsung.com

Video: Hi Def Conversion 480p/720p/768p/1080i HDMI/DVI Compatabile

DVD Audio SACD, 6ch output

Playback Formats R/RW/+R/+RW/CD-Audio and SVCD

Video DAC 54MHz/10BH

Audio: Audio DAC 192 KHz/24BH

Terminal Audio: Coaxial Digital out 1 set

Optical Digital out 1 set

L/R Stereo out 1 set

5.1 Channel Audio Out 1 set

Terminal Video: Composite Video out 1 set

Component Video out 1 set

S-Video out 1 set

Net Dimensions: 16.9"(W) x 2.3"(H) x 9.9"(D)

Net Weight: 4.6 Lbs.

UPC Code: 036725609501

Supplied Accessories: 2 Cables (HDMI/DVI)

Remote Control

1 AAA Battery

-------------------------------------------------

Some key points about the Samsung HDTV too. FYI:

DLP (Digital Light Processing ) TV

New "Floating Screen" Compact Light-Weight Design - Fits Where Others Won't

Digital Cable Ready (DCR) with CableCARD

Built-In Analog/Digital Tuner (NTSC/ATSC)

Samsung Cinema Smooth 720p Light Engine

- Single Panel Design-Crystal-Clear Picture

Without any Possibility of Convergence Errors - Smooth, Film-Like Images

- Up to 2500:1 Contrast Ratio with Outstanding Colors and Deep Black Levels

- Whisper-Quiet Operation

TV Guide on Screen®

1280 x 720p Digital Format Converter for All

Inputs

Samsung's Latest Generation DNIe Video

Enhancer

Cinema Smooth Film-Mode 3:2 Pull Down

AnyNet System Control Solution

No Burn-In or Screen Aging

30-Watt Audio System with Built-In Speakers

HDMI, IEEE1394, Component Video, S-Video Inputs and more

Again, just to reinforce the 1080p issue, unless the TV is capable of fully diplaying it (and VERY FEW ARE!!!!) it is a moot point. I can upconvert to 5000000p to my Sony 32 inch TV. It still desplays roughly 648 lines with the balance being vertical interval.(D-1 NTSC resolution = 720 x 486) & D-2 NTSC res. = 720 x 540.)

I am looking at a list of 38 plasma TVs with a price up to $13,000, and none of them support 1080p HDTV natively! Theory and practice are two different things. So buy what can be realized. To use a very poor analogy, it is rather like saying my DVD player provides SACD output and I use a composite RF feed to my analog TV for playback. My TV will not reproduce the capabilities of the DVD unit. And despite the DVI output of the player, if the TV doesn't support it, the point is moot.

Beyond that suggestion, I wouldn't begin to tell you which DVD player can playback the best picture of a standard I can't see!9.gif

With all due respect,I can go to the local circuit city and find piles of returned samsung players(at least in Louisville area).I ask the guy why he had 4 or 5 of the same models stacked on each other priced cheap,he said he didn't know but they sure return alot of em'.I bought one,841 and the thing locked up every other disc and the sound quality was a non starter.Thats only my experience but samsung ain't for me,if you think you can get it all in 4lbs good luck,since you ask for suggestions I gave mine.

Go with a Denon 2900, great sound and you should be able to pick one up in mint condition or a demo unit for 5 c-notes. Don't know if I can even take advantage of the picture quality. I just hooked mine up changing from a ten year old Yamaha CDX 860 and didn't expect much...boy was I ever wrong...

hehehe No Problem fish.....

Like I said.. different models hopefully different results...

We have had this same conversation before... You had/ have the same outlook and same opinions.. I just went farther this time and responded with facts off of the Samsung site is all, for everyone else to look up is all.

While I do not doubt some lines and some series unfortunantly have glitches and are replaced with newer models. I do not get my "expert infallable advice and opinions" off of the minimum wage local big box stereo kid at his store.

wow, looking for that thing on the web, the only place i can even find it is from Dell. It's only $199 too, that is pretty cheap! i have to wonder about the quality of it for that price, bearing in mind my current scenario with the sony.

although, for $200 i can afford to take a chance

Hey Indy,its great you enjoy the samsung,thats what its all about.Just so you know I think there is no such thing as "expert infallable advise or opinions"other than mine2.gif.It may be worth a look at audioreview.com just to see if there is a pattern of problems,not that the reviewers are the last word but as a tool.

Ovation legend,Les Paul Studio,Fender Strat w/factory Demarzio humbuckers,Fender Foto Flame Telecaster,thanks for noticing.

With the setup Indy has I do give weight to his opinion of the samsung model in question,it could'nt hurt to audition.