dual subs or dual drivers

merkin

I searched but I could find any threads on this. I don't think klipsch makes any subs with dual drivers so I hope this doesn't offend them.

Is it better to have two seperate subs or one sub with dual drivers. I realize that the two seperate subs would cost a little more. So would it be better to have two SVS pb12 plus's or one SVS pb12/2 plus other than the monetary issue. If the two subs are better so that you have less directional sound is that much difference worth the extra cost?

Just looking to get into the sub market.

----------------

On 5/18/2005 9:30:05 PM merkin wrote:

I searched but I could find any threads on this. I don't think klipsch makes any subs with dual drivers so I hope this doesn't offend them.

Is it better to have two seperate subs or one sub with dual drivers. I realize that the two seperate subs would cost a little more. So would it be better to have two SVS pb12 plus's or one SVS pb12/2 plus other than the monetary issue. If the two subs are better so that you have less directional sound is that much difference worth the extra cost?

Just looking to get into the sub market.

----------------

very good question to ask. In theory it is the same as long as the enclosures are the same. One thing about the directional sound is that below 120 hertz it is near impossible to know the direction unless those are massive speakers in a small room where the pressure from the sub can be directionally felt aka a svs b4 in a 12x12 room with the ports facing you. If you are actually feeling where the sub is directionally you are asking the sub to do more then what it is supposed to be and make up for what your regular speakers should do. even most computer speakers get to 120 hertz. Back to the other question.

Since you are asking if two subs are better then one in a enclosure or two separate subs. There are many factors that need to be factored in the equation. Design is one thing to be noted for. Is that one sub with two speakers be in a push pull configuration where one speaker is faced into the box while the other faces out (in which the design does not gain any more spl but is much lower in distortion) or the main concern is the total enclosure of the box/es. If the sum of two sub boxes equals the one with two speakers in one box then more then likely no. A main law of subwoofers is the bigger the enclosure the lower it will go. Putting two speakers in one enclose designed for one will make it sound very boomy and will not go low. As for putting two subs, they would need to be side by side to obtain a +3 decibal bonus. If they are say in each corner there might be depending on what type of room and size be cancellations or simply put forth room nodes. Some parts of the room will be boom, others bass heavy, and others wimpy and where you sit you might encounter that and maybe 3 feet away it could sound great.

Oh btw klipsch does make a speaker with dual subs. It is found on the promedia ultras and 5.1 and 4.1 and they were supposedly designed by the rsw team 2.gif and it outperforms a rw10 i believe (the ultra 5.1)

On another note, most people do not have the room for two separate enclosures and is highly unaccepted by the WAF.

----------------

On 5/18/2005 10:24:10 PM Jay481985 wrote:

In theory it is the same as long as the enclosures are the same. One thing about the directional sound is that below 120 hertz it is near impossible to know the direction unless those are massive speakers in a small room where the pressure from the sub can be directionally

----------------

The rule of thumb is actually 80Hz... but I find that some sounds in that range are still distinguishable, depending on your room modes.

----------------

As for putting two subs, they would need to be side by side to obtain a +3 decibal bonus.

----------------

Actually if they are "coupled" as in the same spot... as two drivers in a single enclosure... you can actually get 6db increase. That is 3db from improving the efficiency (ie: two drivers vs one) and 3db from double the amp power (most dual driver subs also have double the Wattage)

----------------

If they are say in each corner there might be depending on what type of room and size be cancellations or simply put forth room nodes.

----------------

Yes... in which case 3db would be a good assumption on average increase.

It is true the room modes will play havoc on the response in all cases. Having two separate subs in different locations do make balancing phase and placement much more difficult and can lead to errors. BUT it can also be used to balance out some wild peaks and improve performance. This is not for the uninitiated...

----------------

Oh btw klipsch does make a speaker with dual subs.

----------------

Klipsch does offer the KW-120-THX subs which were designed to be used as pairs... and great units in my opinion 1.gif

I currently use a single unit... and will be upgrading to another more powerful single sub. Maybe that just makes me lazy? 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 5/18/2005 10:24:10 PM Jay481985 wrote:

Oh btw klipsch does make a speaker with dual subs. It is found on the promedia ultras and 5.1 and 4.1 and they were supposedly designed by the rsw team
2.gif
and it outperforms a rw10 i believe (the ultra 5.1)

----------------

The frequency response of the Ultra 5.1 sub and the RW10 are about the same. The RW-10 is louder, it has more amp power.

As for the other questions, look here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=65547&sessionID={790CD3DC-22C7-4D6E-8787-E982D8AA2BEA}

All thing being equal (total amp power, drivers, box volume, tuning, and so on) there would be little difference between a single sub with two drivers with twice the amp power and dual subs.

Thanks for your responses. I was wonder whether i should just get the pb12 plus and then if I wanted to go larger buy another one later or just bite the bullet and get the pb12/2plus right off. I've talked to their techs and gave them my specs on the room and they said the 12 plus would work. Can you have to much sub?

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:08:17 PM Jay481985 wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2005 5:24:07 PM CECAA850 wrote:

NO!!!

----------------

agreed well except one package i saw... four freaking krell mrs attached to 7 mra

----------------

I know of this guy who has four 18" high excursion drivers in an IB for over 26L of displacement... 4.gif

oh, wait a minute... that's CECAA850 9.gif

Rob

Two drivers in one cabinet versus two drivers in two cabinets...

Really, the only difference is that when a driver in the single cabinet goes out, then both drivers are inoperable because the tuning of the cabinet is dependent on both subs working properly (probably not a big concern for home situations).

A single cabinet forces both drivers to be mounted in the same location, which means you don't have the option of trying to implement alternate placement options to counteract acoutical problems.

Two drivers in one cabinet is generally cheaper though because there's less woodwork involved and there's usually one amp powering the two (instead of two amps total...depends on the setup of course).

One very important thing to realize is that using two drivers means that you have a large total cabinet volume that is getting divided amongst the two. In most cases, going with a single driver designed for a larger cabinet will get you better results than using two smaller cabinet drivers...and it's generally cheaper to go with a single driver too.

IB's are a totally different situation where more is definetly better. Heck, I'm surprised CECAA850 isn't going with 8 drivers for 52L of displacement 2.gif16.gif

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:14:59 PM formica wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:08:17 PM Jay481985 wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2005 5:24:07 PM CECAA850 wrote:

NO!!!

----------------

agreed well except one package i saw... four freaking krell mrs attached to 7 mra

----------------

I know of this guy who has four 18" high excursion drivers in an IB for over 26L of displacement...
4.gif

oh, wait a minute... that's CECAA850
9.gif

Rob

----------------

True, it is a sickness, but at least I'm not as bad as the guy with 2 B4+'s in an apartment!

I recently tested 2 subs vs one big sub. I had the kw-120thx dual sub and amp package vs the svs pb12/plus/2. I placed them in the same location(kw-120thx side by side) in my back corner and calibrated both at 85 db's with white noise. It was very close but IMO I thought I could feel the svs just a tad more, not much. I could have turned up the klipsch 50% more but Had 75% left of gain on my svs as well. I would say they were even but you can buy 3 svs's for the price of the klipsch dual sub package. That is why svs is so great. I would buy the svs pb12/plus/2, you will not regret it unless you don't have the room for this huge sub.

James

I tend to agree with all those who expressed that two subs are better than one.

All subs and speakers, for that matter, all have their strengths and weaknesses and once you recognize that, it is much easier to blend a system that emphasizes the strengths of all your components and minimizes the limitations.

One speaker may be cleaner and smoother but struggles with base, an other may be extremely competent at lower frequencies but is less than graceful over the rest of the range.

Two subs also allow you to provide better sound over more of the room usually. Using the strengths of lets say the SVS for sheer power on the bottom end and the RSW for a smoother and more accurate mid range, I think you would be much more satisfied with the sound then having only one or the other. Or even two subs that are indentical.....