NAD and Klipsch combo

Hi,

I have had my Klipsch RF-35s for just over a year now and am very happy with their performance. I'm contemplating to replace my marantz receiver CD player combo for a NAD integrated amp and DVD/CD player. I am mainly listening music, but like to be able to play de HDCD format and DVDs as wel.

Particulary interested in the S300 integrated and the S570 DVD player, but the C372 and T562 is also on my short list.

Anybody out here has hands on experience with the Klipsch NAD combo? Before testing anything at home I'd like to piggyback on the fast knowledge out in this forum.

I am currently using a NAD 762 which works ok, but I liked my Sony TA-E9000es Pre/Pro and Kenwood KMX 1 amp combo better. The Sony died and I changed over. The Sony death is a very long story as it was under warranty and after one year of hassles and 3 dead units I gave up. I am powering Chorus II mains, Quartet center and RS-7 surrounds.

On a borrowed basis, I have. On an owning basis, I own three NAD Receivers.

I found detail and sound stage to be quite nice - Cornwall IIs and Heresys.

No harshness. In a short summary, I would go for it. Nad gives a very good value, their power ratings seem to be on the low side - a credit.

Had an older late 80s NAD integrated amp with the PE (power envelope) feature that enabled it to have 6dBs of dynamic headroom. It was rated at 40wpc and put out 160watts on peaks.

I also had a Proton D940 receiver, which was made by the same company who made the NAD units, and shared most of their technology. Proton called their version DPD (dynamic power on demand) but it gave the same results - 6dBs of dynamic headroom and put out the same power - 40wpc with 160watt peaks.

Both units seemed like they produced more power then they should, so perhaps they might have ben intentionally under-rated (like the old HK x30 receivers from the mid-late 70s) in their listed specs. Then again, perhaps it was just the super-high dynamic headroom that did it. Either way, they both sounded really excellent to me on my Heresy IIs.

I would give the edge to the Proton however. It simply sounded fuller, with slightly lower "lows" and slightly higher "highs."

I know - the frequency specs were the same on both units, but nevertheless, my ears told me another story when listening. I really can't explain why.

-H2G

NAD should be fine with Klipsch. The Silver series integrated is very good but for the price I think you may be able to do better. There are tons of good integrated amps in the $2200 range. Also check out the Sim Audio I-5

Classe Cap151, Naim Nait5i, Portal Panache, Krell 400ix, Plinius 9100, Unison Research Unico. All excellent amps and I would say at least as good as the NAD if not better, I personally like the Unico, Naim, and Sim Audio amps the best, while not that powerful these amps have a very warm and punchy sound that works well with Klipsch. You can find most of them new under $2500 or used under $1500. As for a cd/dvd player you may want to try one of the universal players that do SACD, DVD-A, CD, DVD and MP3. Marantz, Denon and Pioneer make some nice universal players, and theres tons of mods available for these players if you should ever want better sound.

First post. I'm pleased to learn that there are so many Klipsch fans out there.

In '92 I purchased a pair of Quartets (still used as my mains in HT setup), an NAD Monitor Series 1600 tuner/preamp and NAD Monitor Series 2400 amp. I felt this was a great sounding package. I retired the preamp when I switched to an AV receiver, and I took a noticable hit in sound quality for 2-channel stereo. Been thinking about setting it back up to hear what I've been missing for the last 5 years.

But to comment on your question, I agree with others who say they are a good match.