Are Horns the Answer?

D-MAN

Ran across this on the web (Linkwitz website), I parsed it for readability:

19 - Which loudspeaker parameters are important to create the illusion of a live performance in the living room?

The preference in loudspeaker product design is for small size, while preserving maximum low frequency extension and output volume.

If the goal is to create a realistic reproduction of a live event, then certain speaker parameters must be adequately controlled, such as volume displacement, intermodulation distortion, stored energy and off-axis frequency response.

Components must be carefully selected for low distortion performance.

Parameters like phase linearity and cabinet diffraction are sometimes overrated.

Multi-channel speaker setups require propagation delay correction and bass management, if not all speakers cover the full frequency range. These issues are reviewed at the advent of high resolution surround sound. The new technology can only fulfill its promise and expand into more than a niche market, if capable loudspeakers are widely available.

Sounds like HORNS to me, BIG ONES.

Here's the website I found this:

Linkwitz

DM2.gif

I have a lot of respect for Linkwitz, even if I don't agree with everything he espouses. He's right on the money in this phrase:

"Parameters like phase linearity and cabinet diffraction are sometimes overrated. "

I recall reading coverage of some major show-maybe it was CES-in Stereophile. There was a squib and picture of two proud guys with their creation. They had built a die-cast baffle for the MTM me-too design, "assuring phase linearity".

I thought, "Well, congratulations. You have solved two system design problems. Driver alignment and baffle rigidity...the first a very minor issue and the second achievable by far less costly means. Oh, and BTW, if you change your drivers you're probably looking at changing your dies, hope you have the budget for that." Never heard of 'em again.

Linkwitz is one of the last scientists in the loudspeaker industry (along with Keele, Allison, Kantor and a handful of others). The rest are marketeers.

I too have respect for linkwitz - I agree with him on most counts.

Id have to say that a horn loudspeaker when well designed eg JBL monitors will satisfy alot of audio cravings,and its where im heading when I can afford it(diy)

But the badly designed horns are much worse than a designer who spend 3minutes designing a 2way TM system3.gifIe its harder to get a good horn system.

The controlled directivity is a huge plus by itself,one I simply cant ignore considering room effects on music.

Low distortion in the crucial midrange is the one factor that drove PWK. The low and high ranges were an afterthought. What an afterthought though! We often talk about the incredible dynamic range of the Klipschorn. In my opinion, the most amazing aspect of Klipschorn design, is the sheer top to bottom coherency of the sound.

----------------

On 5/20/2005 11:36:29 PM scriven wrote:

Are Horns the Answer?

Yes! And I don't much care what the question is.
2.gif

----------------

Are Horns the Answer?

Hmm that could work just as well.....

----------------

On 5/24/2005 3:45:48 PM seti wrote:

----------------

Are Horns the Answer?

2.gif

----------------

Are Horns the Answer?

----------------

LOL big time.

So, just to finish the thought "What is the Question?"

----------------

On 5/24/2005 4:15:04 PM hwatkins wrote:

----------------

On 5/24/2005 3:45:48 PM seti wrote:

----------------

Are Horns the Answer?

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

Are Horns the Answer?

----------------

LOL big time.

So, just to finish the thought "What is the Question?"

----------------

You mean the one to life the universe and everything ?

how many roads must a man walk down ? 42 hmm possibly