What would you do? Need opinions please

Remember the KG4.5s and KG2.5s I told you I got from Ebay? Well for some stupid reason I thought I would go ahead and take them apart and see what the drivers were and if they are ok. If I remember correctly, the 4.5s uses a single K-1005-K 10" woofer and the K-85-K 1" tweeter (same as the 5.5).

I opened them up and the tweeters are right, but one speaker has the K-1023-K woofer (what the KG5.5s have) and the other is a K-1001-K (what the KG5.2 have). Needless to say, I wasn't happy and I double checked the KG2.5 bookshelfs and ("whew") they are right.

So here is my situation since I mainly bought these speakers to use as parts for my custom center speaker.

1) I could keep them and use the K-1023-K woofer for one of my spare 5.5s. That speaker has a bad woofer anyways, so one of my problems would be solved. Then depending on how close in timbre the K-1001-K is to the K-1005K woofer, just use that for my center until I could find one or order a new one from Klipsch (about $100 ea.). That would be the only part I would have to try to find since I have everything else I need.

2) Send the 4.5s back to the seller and have him reimburse me for those speakers. I do plan on calling him (if he isn't already out of town). I will keep the KG2.5 regardless. The bad thing is, I would have to find another pair of 4.5 for the parts I need (tweeter, crossover, etc.), so it would be like starting all over again for me. This would be easier if I hadn't started my center speaker project. All I have left to do on it is glue the front/back panels, veneer the cabinet, and install the electronics. I have made a lot of progress with it in the past few weeks.

3) Sell it all and just say "the hell with it" and get 3 pairs of RB-35s. All my speakers would match. They would be brand new with a warranty. Problem solved.

This really just bums me out.8.gif

Door number 3 does look more tempting, but like you said, it would be expensive. I don't think I can do that.

I emailed the seller last night. He did mention at the time of the sale that he would be out of town till June the 12th. I think I'm going to ask for a refund on the 4.5s.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me the difference between the KG5.2 woofer and the KG5.5 woofer? My center speaker will be using the parts from a 4.5, so how close are they to the stock woofer and which one should I use?

Why the big deal about the different woofer? Just because it has a different number on it? It probably is a direct replacement and performs just as well. I doubt the seller even knew, and probably won't be too open to a refund because of it.

Have you even taken the time to call Klipsch parts to see if the parts that you are looking for are available? I am sure if the woofer was indeed replaced at one point in time that Klipsch recommended what driver to replace it with if the exact replacement was not available at the time.

I too think that you are stressing over a relatively minor issue. I do believe however that if the woofer was indeed changed at some point and the seller was aware of it that he should have made mention of it.

It does sound like I'm being nitpicky. Sorry about that. I don't mean to be. Honest.

I'm also guessing the seller probably doesn't know either. From what I can remember, I think he bought them from a friend of his that owned a stereo shop.

I had called Klipsch about the replacement woofer and the info I got was there was a difference between the stock woofer and the ones in my 4.5s due the the 4.5 using a single woofer vs. the dual woofer design of the 5.5/5.2. Because of this, I'm wondering if the frequencies below the crossover point (1600Hz) will be -3dB lower than what it should be due to the different woofer and stock crossover.

I do apologize if I'm coming across as being anal retentive. If it helps, I can use one of the woofers to replace the shot woofer in one of my extra KG5.5. I more or less bought the 4.5s for parts anyways for my center speaker project, so at least one of my KG5.5 will be repaired. That is the bright side I have been looking at.

Thought about selling that pair to have more room in the back of my basement anyways and maybe using the 2.5s as the back surrounds instead of upstairs.

I haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen to the 4.5s. I just gave them enough time to see if they worked or not.

Appreciate the comments and the help you all have given me in my other posts. Thanks a bunch.9.gif

dont sound like nitpicking to me , you bought a set of 4.5's and why shouldnt you expect to receive 4.5's, i wouldnt care how they sound i expect to get exactly what i pay for and i bet everyone here that says just listen aand then decide would have been upset if they had got something other than they expected, i would listen to the speakers and if happy i would try to get the seller to cover the cost of the 1 woofer so they match at least, although i would say dont get your hopes up. and if seller fails to make the deal right he deserves neg feedback this also helps any future buyers know of his short commings10.gif Joe