Which setup is better?

vl3rd

I know my situation may seem like nit-picking, but I can't decided which would be better... 2 SVS CS-Ultra cylinder subs connected to a single 1000 watts RMS amp, or one SVS PB12-Ultra/2? I know both of these subs employ the same TV-12 Ultra drivers, but I can't make up my mind as to which setup would yield the greatest output with the flattest frequency response. I would use the sub(s) almost exclusively for music. Both setups are nearly identical in price, and I know either one would sound amazing. Any advice?

If you are not using any kind of EQ, the box sub has a single band PEQ to help flatten out your room response. On the other hand, you have the option of using the 2 tubes non-colocation to help even out dips and peaks, something you can't do with a single sub. Non-colocating the 2 subs will give you about a 3 dB loss however. Which look do you like, box (big) or tube (tall)?

If music is your primary consideration, I would suggest mixing the RSW-15 with the SVS. The RSW is smoother from 30 to 70Hz and the SVS is great for reproducing the really deep base in the lower 20 to 30Hz range.

I have been saving my pennies for the SVS (and priming my wife for this massive black tube Vs. the Cherry RSW she finds attractive) for this very purpose.

Denon 3805 and 910

RF7,RC7,RS7,RSW15

Panasonic AE700u

H10 HD DBS

Harmony 688

----------------

On 5/21/2005 9:17:49 PM CECAA850 wrote:

Which look do you like, box (big) or tube (tall)?

----------------

I agree that given the similar ± performance... it becomes a question of what works best for you.

BTW... I'd mock them up in your room to give you an idea of how large these are, and what your placement options would be. The 190lbs may be a little heavy to experiment with placement... but once your done, it's not going anywhere. 2.gif

Rob

Is this a music application? If so, I would go with 2 subs over 1. I use two and run them in stereo, one on each channel. I found it made a difference and sounds much better than one sub running on a center channel output signal.