I got my LaScalas!!! (Well, one anyway!)

Hello,

As some of you know (Colterphoto especially) I have been looking for LaScalas. Well, I thought of a plan! Since I can't afford to get two, I'll get one now, and one later! 9.gif

Saw this guy on ebay and the price was reasonable, and I'm not TOO TOO far away. So I couldn't resist!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7323080517

Now it will need a tweeter, it's got a generic tweeter in there, so I'll be looking for a K-77M for it. Otherwise, everything's there. I'm excited!

For now I'm going to hook it up and listen to it solo with an analog preamp and marantz amp I have. I was watching the ebay auction as it was ticking to a close. Man, that's not good for my heart! As the last minute was rolling by and I'm refreshing every 5 or 10 seconds my heart felt like it was gonna burst outta my chest. Ebay can be stressful! This is the first installment in a several year dream that will finally be realized.

This should work out good, now I'll take my time enjoying this one, and in time get a second one when I can. It seems like singles don't come up that often, but when they do, they cost less than half of a pair. Guess not too many people just want one. I figured I'd use it to my advantage.

Any comments you have would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Jon

Congrats! way to get inventive about the purchase options! Thats one way to shop and work the budget at the same time!

Contact BEC (Bob Crites) for a replacement tweeter.

Let us know what you thing, especially in relation to your Cornwalls, now which will be mains and which surrounds..hhmmmmmmm...

Is it in industrial? you won't know on this one unless you have jack plate or take off doghouse cover and look at woofer.

Now it's time for the rope caulk trick while you're inside them, and check all the xover connections- very dusty in there.

Your price was certainly right- good job man! Looked at the ebay bidding, you played a cool hand dude. You deserve a $300 LS! wwoooohhhoooo

Michael

Mike,

Yes, isn't that the question?! I'm not sure! It'll be fun to find out I guess. Also had another question for you guys- would someone mind taking a look at the network in the pics- does that look right? I see a resistor in there, I'm guessing it's to balance the tweeter, since it's not correct. Does that look like a Klipsch crossover to you?

In the future I plan to get a K-55-V driver with A or AA network to more closely match my Cornwalls. Maybe someone will be interested in swapping drivers?

Anyhow, that's all in the future for now, I'm going to just enjoy it. I'll contact Bob about the tweeter, thanks for the suggestion.

-Jon

P.S. As far as the playing a cool hand, man it didn't feel like it at the time, I was sweating it! But I didn't want to go higher than I had to. It seemed like I got above what the other guy was willing to pay, cause the last 3 or 4 minutes he wasn't doing anything.

jwcullison,

The pics are in the ebay auction.

Bsbutton,

I'm not sure what tweeter's in it, kinda tough to see, whatever it is, it doesn't match up with the existing holes, so he had to make new ones.8.gif Kinda a bummer, but I don't think it should be a big deal. The old holes for the K-77 are still there.

-Jon

Whoa, sounds like University. Getting exotic! That would be sweet. Only problem, I have NO idea what a University sounds like, can anyone elaborate? I'm looking for something on the smoother side. I've heard of people putting University woofers in these, supposed to be a nice upgrade? I dunno, never heard em.

Aww, my kitty's so cute! She's sitting on top of my monitor as I write this, listening to Don Henley on the Cornwalls.

-Jon

----------------

On 5/24/2005 10:43:07 PM BS Button wrote:

You could go with a PH-5VH via Dean or Bob C. I think Dean's got a couple.

----------------

That's a K55M, relax, you're fine. Looks like a very dusty AL xover, the least desirable but most used LS xover. (all 4 of mine have em, it's pretty expensive to go changing it all out) The resistor is original to the AL design. Again, it works, it rocks, relax and use em for a while before you go changing thing. The voicing match between LS and Cornwall is gonna be off due to the horn far more than a minor driver change. If you wanna make changes, I'd recommend doing a BEC cap upgrade first, but wait until you get second speaker so you can have them done as a 'matched set'. I think that's what Bob or Dean would recommend.

Just get K77 tweeter installed, clean off circuit board, tighten up screws, do rope caulk on mid horn, RELAX and enjoy.

Save your nickels for LS#2 now.

Michael

Since you now have one Lascala ( Congratulations! ),You are now in a great position!

There are any number of folks here looking for a center speaker for Khorns:

Your options ?

Sell your single for a reasonable profit.

Split a pair with someone wanting a single Lascala for a centre speaker.

Cornwalled,

Congratulations on the single La Scala. I wanted to bid on it and use it for a center, but it was too far away to drive to pick it up.

If you decide to sell or find a pair to split let me know, I still want a center, but would prefer an split cabinet industrial.

Enjoy!

Paul