Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab LPS--Why are they special?

A quick question from a CD generation guy who is making an attempt at getting into LP's.

I purchased a bunch of records from a yard sale, and included in the find is a Sealed, never opened or played, "Supertramp--Crime of the Century" LP.

It is the release by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, and claims to be "Half-Speed Mastered" and Super High Fidelity Limited Ed.

I only paid a quarter for the LP, but a quick ebay search shows the album selling from 40-200 bucks in opened condition.

Is this record that rare, or is a MFSL recording that good? Should I hang onto the record or sell it, having never heard Supertramp?

Any help out there?

I own two MFSL records--one Billie Holliday and the other the Mulligan/Webster LP. Both are pressed on super-high quality vinyl with ZERO surface noise--the Billie is a 180G and the Mulligan/Webster seems to be a 200g. I have originals of both of these LPs and the MFSL versions stack up pretty nicely--they are somewhat lacking in "immediacy" and seem to have both the bottom and upper ends boosted in that "audiophile pressing" manner.

Gary should chime in on this one--I seem to remember him telling me he has ALL of the MFSL LPs!

----------------

On 5/26/2005 12:22:22 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I own two MFSL records--one Billie Holliday and the other the Mulligan/Webster LP. Both are pressed on super-high quality vinyl with ZERO surface noise--the Billie is a 180G and the Mulligan/Webster seems to be a 200g. I have originals of both of these LPs and the MFSL versions stack up pretty nicely--they are somewhat lacking in "immediacy" and seem to have both the bottom and upper ends boosted in that "audiophile pressing" manner.

Gary should chime in on this one--I seem to remember him telling me he has ALL of the MFSL LPs!

----------------

Hahahahahaha. All of them???

I have about 50 and really like them compared to the originals releases (with a few exceptions).

That one you have is pretty common but will probably sell for at least $50-$75 since it's sealed (check completed sales - I'm just guessing). I personally do not care for Supertramp and would sell it in a heartbeat. I've paid quite a bit for some of my MFSLs. The biggest difference in sound quality is the amount of detail you hear in the recordings (along with the other qualities already mentioned) due to the half-speed recording. I think you should sell it and use the money to buy one you know you'll listen to a lot. I just wish I had loaded up on them when they were in production. New, they sold for about $20-$25.

Too bad it is Supertramp 11.gif2.gif If you want to make money I am sure you will get in the 20-50 range on ebay. 200...I would be surprised. I just bought David Bowies MFSL Ziggy Stardust on ebay for 20 something. Not sealed and new...but arguably a more classic album. Find the true Supertramp fan and maybe.

This is my laymans understanding of 1/2 speed masters and MFSL. They use master tapes, not copies, of the recording session. They play them back at 1/2 speed and in turn the equipment that is used to make the "stampters" is operating at 1/2 speed. This allows for more detail in a 1/2 speed master LP then a traditional setup. Finally during the pressing of the vinyl they user more and better quality vinyl. So any 1/2 speed master lp (there are lots) should sound pretty darn good. It is my understanding that MFSL or Mo-FI or Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs is just very good at what they do. So as a general rule a MFSL "Boston" album will probably bring more then a CBS 1/2 speed master "Boston" album. Insert what ever album name you want in place of "Boston". I did read somewhere that The Who "Face Dances" album by MFSL is a dog. No personal experience on my end though.

I have 3 that I bought over 20 years ago, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Aqualung, and Led Zeppelin II. They still sound as good today as they did when I got them. Actually better since I have a better TT now than I did then.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 1:06:08 PM rplace wrote:

The more I think about it Supertramp was very forward thinking in the name of that album. I would, in fact, be the crime of the century to pay 200 bucks for that album.
----------------

Well then, someone out there is commiting the crime of the century...lol. Here is the link from ebay for a sealed copy of this album going for that price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4731834410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I guess with ebay, its all about finding the right buyer...

----------------

On 5/26/2005 12:22:22 PM Allan Songer wrote:

...and the MFSL versions stack up pretty nicely--they are somewhat lacking in "immediacy" and seem to have both the bottom and upper ends boosted...

----------------

I've seen a few MILFs in that condition, as well...

----------------

On 5/26/2005 1:53:37 PM fini wrote:

I've seen a few MILFs in that condition, as well...

----------------

Fini, ROLTFLMAO just about peed my pants. I prefer the top boosted over the bottom. Eventually gravity catches up with everything.

Fletch, is yours the UHRQ version or just the standard MFSL?

The Crime of the Cetury just keeps goin up in price...lol

The album I told you guys about yesterday is not up over 300 bucks on the ebay site. One just like mine sold for nearly 150 last nite.

I listed mine today. Hope I get as lucky as the guys who listed these albums this week...

Here is the link for that one goin for over $300 now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4731834410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

----------------

On 5/27/2005 5:40:10 PM fletcherkane wrote:

The Crime of the Cetury just keeps goin up in price...lol

The album I told you guys about yesterday is not up over 300 bucks on the ebay site. One just like mine sold for nearly 150 last nite.

I listed mine today. Hope I get as lucky as the guys who listed these albums this week...

Here is the link for that one goin for over $300 now...

----------------

I've got a "Crime of the Century" on Mobile Fidelity. Great album, great sound, great band. Remember "Breakfast in America"? That's another great record.

There's a whole lot of reasons why Mobile Fidelitys are so good. One reason is the no longer available JVC vinyl compound. JVC won't share their formula with anybody for any price. Nothing's ever beat it.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 12:54:20 PM garymd wrote:

Also a dog - MFSL copy of John Lennon's Imagine. They go for about $30 sealed.

----------------

That's a current issue by the recently reformed Mobile Fidelity. They've gone out of business two or three times. Crime of the Century is part of their original catalog.

My 1st MFSL LP was CotC, about 10 years ago. Found at a garage sale for $1. Had it a few years, then finally sold it on the 'bay for 20 something. Then 2 years ago, I found MFSL & Columbia half speed masters, and a couple of Super Disks, all for $12.

Amanda McBroom - West Of Oz (Sheffield Labs)

Kenny Rogers - Greatest Hits MFSL

Air Supply - The One That You Love MFSL

Little River Band - First Under The Wire MFSL

Emmylou Harris - Quarter Moon In a Ten Cent Town MFSL

Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim MFSL

Natalie Cole - Thankful MFSL

Neil Diamond - His 12 Greatest Hits (Direct Disc Labs)

Judy Collins - Judith (Direct Disc Labs)

Willie Nelson - Stardust (Columbia HSM)

Journey - Dream, After Dream ( CHSM) factory sealed

Paul Simon - Greatest Hits, Etc. (CHSM)

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (CHSM)

Neil Diamond - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (CHSM)

Neil Diamond - On The Way To The Sky (CHSM)

My current plan is to get rid of these later this fall, along with a few large classical box sets I found cheap. (That was also my plan for last year!)

NP - HELLOWEEN - Better Than Raw