There goes the budget....

nowonder

Well, I'm in the process of building a home theater. After much listening, I fell in love with the Klipsch THX speakers, and they are going to be delivered next week!

So a couple questions...

1) What is the least expensive receiver I can get away with without crippling these beautiful speakers? Could a denon 2805 hold out for the first couple months until my finances recover and I can add some monoblocks?

2) As much as I liked the THX Subs, I didn't get them. For the money I have to think that there are alternatives... Any other recommendations?

I've always lvoed the Klipsch sounds, glad I could finally join the family in a big way.

--nw

And oh BTW, congrats on the awsome speakers. SVS will deliver a extremely high quality sub for significatnly less than the THX Sub.

As far as the Power of the AVR, based on your post it sounds like you know you will need more to make those THX speakers really shine but specificly I do not know if that Denon would do to tide you over.

Thanks for the heads-up on the SVS, i'll check them out.

Yea, I'm not fooling myself into believing that the high sensitivity will make up for the low wattage... but I'm thinking it's better than using the 20 year old pioneer (pre dolby pro-logic) receiver until I can save money... :)

I don't upgrade often, but I make it count.

--nw

Not that I have anything against the Svs, there are a lot of options for the same money, especially used equipment. Paradigm makes a few very nice models, a new PW-2200 should be comparable, a used servo-15 and x-30 would be mint as well.

Velodyne also makes quite a number of excellent models. Check out the new Klipsch Sub-12, you could have 2 for almost the same price as one svs, like the poster above.

Here is a copy of a post from a moderator, with the output of their subs, corner loaded.

RW-8: 103dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RSW-10: 109dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RW-10: 110dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RW-12: 113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

Sub-10: 115dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

Sub-12: 117dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter

RSW-12: 119dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

RSW-15: 121dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter

Stacking two Sub-12's in the same corner should get you to 123 db@ 1m, at 30 hz. Don't overlook the performance offered here. While others may chime in and say you absolutely cannot live without lower frequencies, I tell you to audition and listen for yourself. Room gain will also play a big part on the lowest frequency reproduced.

If you have the means, try to audition all of the subwoofers that you can before making up your own mind. The Thx subs, with the amp will play a lot lower than the rsw, or the other klipsch offerings.

Not to start anything here but I have owned a Klipsch sub and demoed others that were alot more than my 20-39PC+ ($800.00) and the SVS was much tighter and offered cleaner deeper DB's with greater SPL than anything with in a grand of it that I compared, including the RSW-15. Now that THX I have never demoed and might be one heck of a sub, but I imagine it is very expensive and thats why I suggested the SVS because for the money I doubt it can be out done.

For those that arent familier with SVS, it is an internet only company that only makes subs. They sell direct without a middleman and are more than happy to take your room specs, listening habits and budget to come up with the sub that's right for you. In fact the sub I wanted was more than the one I purchased, but the I purchased was what they suggested based on the information I gave them. I do not work for them, but I am a very loyal and happy customer of theirs.

I do suggest demoing many brands, but you wont be able to demo a SVS unless you have a friend with one since they sell direct. They do have a 45 day return policy with 100% refund if you are not totaly satisfied although the cost of shipping it back is on you. I hope this helps and again sorry if this turns south into a debate about subs, most people are very biased, but of course I am completely objective as long as it's a SVS. 9.gif

Foxman, what, are you suggesting that the 20-39 pc+ with it's 12" driver ( not the Ultra ), bested the RSW-15 in terms of output? I think that you need to demo the two side by side again.

You can send the Svs back if you don't like it sure, but you could also do this with a brick and mortar store, provided you leave a healthy deposit and are in good with the owner.

I am suggesting that the RSW15 was boomier and not as tight. The 15 isnt crap, but as a consumer and a Klipsch fan I was dissapointed that anything cheaper was that much better. Don't let the fact that it is 3" bigger fool you into thinking it is better. Size matters, but the 12" SVS is a much truer(sp?) sounding sub with less boom and much tighter bass. I will try to find a more objective comparison than my impression, but I am telling you I was not impressed with the RSW-15. I also owned a PW2200 Paradigm and sold it shortly after getting my SVS. The Digm suffered from some of the same things that plague the Klipsch.

Well the most important aspect of the low frequency reproducing system is the room. There are a LOT of people that tend to " jump on the bandwagon " because someone told them so. Just how flat is flat response? Do I have the equipment to test it? No, and I would assume that the average consumer does not as well.

Sure the Klipsch RSW-15 rolls off a little bit higher, but room gain will make up for a bit of that. What is important is the amount of distortion that is present for the output levels. A PR does have limitations, in the amount of travel, yes, but also no port noise.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 3:06:02 PM foxman wrote:

I am suggesting that the RSW15 was boomier and not as tight. The 15 isnt crap, but as a consumer and a Klipsch fan I was dissapointed that anything cheaper was that much better. Don't let the fact that it is 3" bigger fool you into thinking it is better. Size matters, but the 12" SVS is a much truer(sp?) sounding sub with less boom and much tighter bass. I will try to find a more objective comparison than my impression, but I am telling you I was not impressed with the RSW-15. I also owned a PW2200 Paradigm and sold it shortly after getting my SVS. The Digm suffered from some of the same things that plague the Klipsch.

----------------

I think this is the first time in my life that I've heard anyone describe an RSW-series sub as "boomy".

----------------

On 5/27/2005 4:28:27 PM DrWho wrote:

DIY is always another good option as well...and it's more fun
2.gif

----------------

I have heard that the 12" Titanic DIY Sub is fantaastic although the only person I know that has done one lives 4 states away from me

14.gif

But, he swears by it.

I am not going to claim that I have heard every sub on the market, but I have heard quite a few. And I have no interest in trying to tell someone that a particular sub isn't good if I have not heard it, nor in entering an emotionally based holy war over brands...

But personally, short of a few DIY designs (and I AM interested in hearing the big Titanic!), and short of my Velodyne HGS18series2, my powered SVS Ultra is the best sub I have encountered for the price. And the 'smaller' SVS subs must be considered in that small group of best buy subs.

I will be honest in that I started out not wanting to like them, but both my experience with the unit itself, and the ease in dealing with the company has surpassed all of my expectations! And I am not shy about complaining about a substandard unit! And if I find a better value I will quickly change to champion that unit!

So please, and by all means, listen to the various subs, but do not rule out SVS (nor Hsu)! Their buisiness model (direct sales bypassing the middleman, meaning more money in YOUR pocket) and a quality product make it a hard unit to beat. And the economic model simply means that you are getting 25-30% more unit for the money then the retailers can deliver.

So listen around, and look at the reviews of the SVS and Hsu units! And note too, how many real people here swear by them just as the reviews do. They are not hype. Just good sounding units at excellent prices.

And try to determine what unit will sound best. Good luck!

----------------

On 5/27/2005 2:51:25 PM foxman wrote:

Not to start anything here but I have owned a Klipsch sub and demoed others that were alot more than my 20-39PC+ ($800.00) and the SVS was much tighter and offered cleaner deeper DB's with greater SPL than anything with in a grand of it that I compared, including the RSW-15. Now that THX I have never demoed and might be one heck of a sub, but I imagine it is very expensive and thats why I suggested the SVS because for the money I doubt it can be out done.

For those that arent familier with SVS, it is an internet only company that only makes subs. They sell direct without a middleman and are more than happy to take your room specs, listening habits and budget to come up with the sub that's right for you. In fact the sub I wanted was more than the one I purchased, but the I purchased was what they suggested based on the information I gave them. I do not work for them, but I am a very loyal and happy customer of theirs.

I do suggest demoing many brands, but you wont be able to demo a SVS unless you have a friend with one since they sell direct. They do have a 45 day return policy with 100% refund if you are not totaly satisfied although the cost of shipping it back is on you. I hope this helps and again sorry if this turns south into a debate about subs, most people are very biased, but of course I am completely objective as long as it's a SVS.
9.gif

----------------

"but I have owned a Klipsch sub "

which one may make all the difference in the world, the KSW's are not great subwoofers

Wow, Thanks for the responses everyone!

As much as I prefer to listen to electronics before I buy, I'm not adverse to taking the risk and buying over the internet especially given the price differences compared to the locally carried brands.

What is the general consensus around here about outlaw audio (both for monoblock amps and their sub)?

I will be spending the next few weeks reading reviews on everything mentioned in this thread. I do trust comments in threads like this more than some reviews I've seen on the net, since they are often trying to create/maintain a good relationship with the supplier. Has anyone every had a BAD experience with an online-only sub company?

For those who have asked, my sub budget is currently in the $500 to $750 range, but i'm willing to go higher if needed. My theater room is 16x24.

Thanks again!

--nw