Sales Tax in California

scott0527

I won an Ebay auction from and Ebay seller that appears to be an Used audio/video equipment dealer in California. I live in Ohio. After paying with Paypal, he sends me a note for an additional $16.50 for Sales Tax. I politely emailed back questioning the Sales Tax since I live in Ohio and he sent this email.

"Hi

I^m sorry , but my sales tax board requires me to collect sales tax as if you came to California and bought this item over my counter. But I don^nt have that in writing to email you so I^ll for go the sales tax and protect that top and get it out to you as soon as possible

Thannx again "

I'm not a Tax attorney but that sounds like a load of bull to me. Ulitmately, he's saying I don't have to pay it so I'm ok on this deal. But I thought maybe some of you might have some knowledge of sales tax laws in CA. Also wanted to warn others to watch out for this sort of thing.

He only would need to collect sales tax if:

1) He ships to California Address.

2) He also has a location doing business in YOUR state.

3) Possibly, if it is "drop shipped" from a third party doing business in YOUR state (NOT SURE THOUGH).

The whole 'use tax' thing, and especially how it might apply to Ebay (merchant) purchases, is an entirely different matter.

2) He also has a location doing business in YOUR state.

3) Possibly, if it is "drop shipped" from a third party doing business in YOUR state (NOT SURE THOUGH).

I think in these instances, Scott would pay the Ohio rate, rather than the CA rate.

You should not be charged sales tax. Boy, that'll be the day, if (when) they start collecting sales tax on interstate e-commerce...

Thanks. That is the way I understand the laws although I know things are always changing. I think in this case the guy is just trying to play on the confusion to squeeze and extra 8% out of those that don't question him.

PS. based on this sort of shinnanigan, I can't wait to see what this seller considers "Excellent Condtion" to be! 14.gif Fortunately, I just need the item for parts.

NY requires that the consumer report any interstate, internet, and Indian reservation purchases and pay the sales tax when they pay their income tax. I'm pretty sure nobody does it, though.

Me? I don't shop on the web.2.gif