DeanG crossover upgrade for KG5.2

I've had my KG5.2s for more almost 15 years. They have survived possible replacement by a Bose system (!) and three moves in the last six years where there were always doubts by my "better" half whether they should be kept in the family. I refinished them -from alot of advice on this forum-so they would match our big armoire. So they are dark Bombay stained and polyurethaned oak finish because they couldn't stay if they didn't match!

Anyway, a Yamaha receiver pushed them originally until I realized that Frank Sinatra sounded like crap when it was turned up. I upgraded alot exclusively from eBay over the last few years trying 5 different power amps and 7 different pre-amps and adding an Adcom D to A converter--again with alot of help from this forum. A B&K ST202 amp and PT3 preamp push them now. All SS with no plans yet for tubes.

I tell you this because I've never considered getting different speakers and they have stayed while everything else in my system has gotten upgraded. Probably the biggest improvement in their sound, though, came from upgrading the crossovers through DeanG.

I just got them back from him Wednesday (after he had them just a few days), re-installed them and hooked the speakers up to my system cold. The difference right out of the box was sublime. I managed to work at home the rest of the week so I've really gotten a chance to listen to some music.I listen to alot of old blues, jazz, pop, and 70's prog along with current rock and alternative. So, in the last few days its been Pat Metheny, Champion Jack Dupree, Clapton, Bill Frisell, Louis Prima, Lightnin' Hopkins, Nora Jones, Gabriel-Genesis, Yes, Hooker, Nektar, Dave Matthews Mastodon, and some classical CDs. These crossovers make a very nice difference in all of them, and the badly-recorded ones sound much closer to being exceptional. Much smoother highs that go behind and around you more, and separation between instruments seems a tad more pronounced. Low-low frequency bass is lower and smoother wihout punchiness. Separation seems better yet both sides sound more in synch. I run DVD sound through the D to A converter, and "Maria Full of Grace" sounded fuller last night than any movie I've played yet. Sorry for my lack of techie talk--

As its been mentioned, I don't think this upgrade would matter to someone who doesn't listen to music much. But for us who are yearning for that next oomph of improvement to our sound, I recommend this highly--I feel like its a new set of speakers for a little over $200.

By the way--I did pay full price and receive no compensation for this yarn. DeanG just does good work--

Over $200!

I'm in the wrong business. 2.gif

I'm just kidding Dean. A laborer is worthy of his hire.

Great that the change is really so inexpensive. We could all easily spend a lot more with a lot less change for the better.

Marvel

It sounds like the same old story that I have heard before, that Dean is a hero of the crossover world. I just hope that Dean dosen't start to wear tights and start to fly thur the air like Spiderman, boy wouldn't that be a sight.14.gif. All kidding aside it sounds like Dean does great work. 9.gif

It has nothing to do with me. Like Charles said, it's a testimony to what the better parts bring, and it's why I started doing this in the first place. The kind words and reviews are certainly welcome, because every time I begin to doubt the parts can make the impact they do, I read something by one of you who went through with it, and it tells me that I'm not crazy after all. 9.gif

How'd you like that fancy back plate Keith?

I not only liked how the back plate looked, I appreciated how easy it made it to re-install it. The lime/mint green color is quite fetching--Did I have a choice of colors?

Just kidding--it makes a much better vibration-free installation with the extra board and padding than just screwing the board to the back of the cabinet--

I'm listening to Zappa guitar solos right now through the B&K amp--I've alternated between it and the ADcom 60-watt. They both sound great, but I notice that the speakers have a much better response at low and high levels -- bass is deeper and cymbals are smoother, not to mention the separation and clarity at low volume---