RF 7's Vs Klipschorn (hear we go again)

Oh and yes - Cathy looks young and pretty enough for my wife to ban me from this forum if she knew young lovelies were posting here instead of just boring old farts like me.

Now where did I put my pipe and slippers - oh there they are under my corset - next to the glass with my teeth in and my toupee (spelling?)!

Mental note: Must stop keeping my toupee in a glass.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 9:48:02 AM KlipsDude wrote:

da Dude -D-MAN- had tis to say in class today, the only smart *ss (bleep)

in da room.

=================================================================

Is this a trick question?

The physics for just the woofers:

Khorn - 4 sq. feet of horn mouth EACH.

RF7 - 2 x 10" dia direct radiators EACH.

Khorn = 600 sq. inches total radiating area

RF7 = 31.4 sq. inches total radiating area

Which one do you think is more efficient and better for reproducing low bass notes by moving air?

==================================================================

D-MAN, Like Dude, you need to take your seat and sit back down.

Dude, where you been? Technology often defies terminology and

logicality Dude! Dude, like your getting old, our new days are

not like your old days. Sit back down and listen and learn.

Oh yea, and Kathy Mason, like hubba hubba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.gif
yummy yum yum
2.gif3.gif2.gif4.gif6.gif9.gif

----------------

With only 3 posts to your credit maybe you should think about what you say before you open your pie hole.9.gif

Your thoughts are like school on sunday: "NO CLASS"

----------------

On 5/31/2005 6:17:23 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

I think there is definitely a problem with math here.

A=pi*r^2

RF-7 radiating area is (((5 in)^2)*3.14*2)= 157 sq. inches

If the Khorn throat mouths are 4 sq. ft, then it's ((12 in)^2)*4 = 576 sq. inches

But none of this matters because you're comparing apples to oranges. I don't think that the air mass at the horn mouth behaves exactly like the woofer/air interface.

Now be honest Meuge - you edited that a number of times.

I firs saw it and noticed you used the diameter instead of the radius - I clicked on reply and it had changed by the time I quoted you.

I went back and noticed you had only measured for one of the woofers on the RF7 - again I went to reply - quoted - and you had changed that.

Waddaya tryin to do to me?

Anyway - it is definitely correct now!

Frzninvt keeps what you got Dude!

You already paid ya money, now just enjoy!

No one is asking you to ditch your stuff, ya fool! 4.gif

Dylanl, if I'm gonna open my pie hole, you know it will be right in your

face man! Don't ya know you aint supposed to be wanting pie holes Dude!

What kinda frikkin guy are ya anyway! Man, I better watch my hole around

you period! 6.gif6.gif6.gif14.gif

On 6/2/2005 11:28:08 AM meuge wrote:

A=pi*r^2

If the Khorn throat mouths are 4 sq. ft, then it's ((12 in)^2)*4 = 576 sq. inches

Hmmm, 4 x 1- inch woofers = 314 in^2, so maybe that's his error?

So a KHorn has 4 times the area at the horn mouth, but meuge is right that it's comparing apples to oranges...

----------------

On 6/2/2005 12:37:50 PM wrote:

No one is asking you to ditch your stuff, ya fool!
4.gif

you period!
6.gif6.gif6.gif14.gif

----------------

KlipsDude,

We're certainly glad to have new blood around here once-in-a-while, but read a little and you're notice this place is far different from most forums and USENET groups. People mostly respect eachother and help eachother out. We don't use slang abbreviations to save a few keystrokes; this isn't a chat room. So please bring it up a notch and refrain from posting rude and crude remarks. This place is a lot nicer without them.

I agree that the radiating area/mouth area comparison is a matter of disparate fruit.

Also, for the sake of accuracy, the radiating area calculation for the RF7 would be a bit low. You need to account for the cone shape. The calculations shown describe the surface area of a flat disc.

Also, excursion has everything to do with it, if you're basing your comparison on the volume air displaced.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:28:08 AM meuge wrote:

----------------

----------------

A=pi*r^2

But none of this matters because you're comparing apples to oranges. I don't think that the air mass at the horn mouth behaves exactly like the woofer/air interface.

----------------

Damn! He got me! it's 62.8 sq. inches on the RF7 (2 x 10" dia x 3.14). And I rounded the Khorn up, ALRIGHT?! The mouth is technically 9 (approx) x 37.5" x 2.

Horn mouths act EXACTLY like a large vibrating membrane of air the size (area) of the horn mouth. That's the whole point to horns being more-efficient "transformers". How can someone have an opinion on horns if they don't know how they work?!

And the apples-to-oranges cop-out doesn't cut it - they are both loudspeakers intended to essentially "move air" and use the same electrical source to do it. Different size and cost constraints aside, which one is a better approach to overall sound? Also, if reduced distortion of all types is a consideration, direct radiators are NOT the way to go.

I don't buy into the so-called physics of the tower-style direct radiators as holding a candle to a well-designed horn system. However, other considerations may apply other than the overall sound quality, such as size and cost constraints. But let's face the facts - when it comes to REALISTIC sound, SIZE DOES MATTER.

DM2.gif

I just vaguely recall, about 15 years ago in a graduate fluid dynamics class, having to solve for the most efficient shape to transfer energy from a membrane to air. It turned out to be... an exponential! Thus the exponential horn! Then I understood my my La Scala did 104 dB on 1W. I should dig up that math...

----------------

On 6/2/2005 12:37:50 PM KlipsDude wrote:

No one is asking you to ditch your stuff, ya fool!
4.gif

you period!
6.gif6.gif6.gif14.gif

----------------

I will not respond to your southern California Jim Rome antics. Late

To all others:

I also like to discuss Klipsch with new members but it just seems about once a month or so we get some big mouth loon that starts putting down the regulars. Sorry D man, not that I should be speaking for you but to me the previous post was out of line based on how we share information here. Given a little time the wind will shift and the dust & grime should blow away.

Sorry if anyone else was offended with pie hole but it is commonly regarded as your mouth and not any other human orifice

D-MAN, who cares, I don't care what calculations you try to use to put down my RF-7's, I am happy, very happy with them. I just listened to one of my favorite CD's and WOW, WOW, and WOW!!

I love the detail on these, I hear things I never heard before and the music fills the whole room with slam dunkin hit in the chest bass. Man I love these speakers, so awesome and clean sounding. This is the BEST speaker Klipsch has ever made! Now I wanna hear some titanium diaphragms in a Klipschorn! I be wonderin if Klipsch has thought of doing that for the more detail the titanium have, man I'm all for it! That would be awesome.

Hey, I'm not the jerk here, if some bozo gunna put down my RF-7 for my choice, it aint gonna work.

• 5 years later...