RF 7's Vs Klipschorn (hear we go again)

----------------

On 5/30/2005 6:04:36 PM edwinr wrote:

That's a good call, Dean. The Klipschorn is a right pain. That's why I sold mine. They're a b*gger to get right. They're hard to please. Demanding. Temperammental. They'll drive you to drink. They'll rip your head off if you don't feed them right. Why bother?

Remands me of some women I know.

----------------

RF 7's are temperamental too depending on the amps used. And when you do get the Klipschorns right as you know you are in audio nirvana. I never got that feeling when I listed to the 7s. But the 7s are a damn good speaker it just depends on whether or not they do it right for you or not. IMO the Klipschorns more dramatic, dynamic and do a better job of disappearing but the 7 are a bit more detailed.

The RF-7s are better.

Oh, did you want a reason? Sheesh! Actually, I've never had the pleasure of listening to Khorns. But I can say that with the right setup the RF-7s sound fantastic for music. They are probably more sensitive to equipment vagaries, but from the stories I've read they are waaaaaaaayyyy less sensitive to room architecture/placement than Khorns are.

Scott

My listening room has no corners to put KHorns in. Therefore, the RF7 is a better speaker for me, since I can put it just about anywhere. In my case that is on each side of my monitor.

I'm always amused when this discussion comes up. Both speakers ARE great accomplishments, but they are both built for different applications. There shouldn't be attempts at comparing them. The KHorns are a great speak for those who have the ideal room, deep pockets (unless one buys used) and a tolerant wife. The RF7s are best for the rest of us. To me that means that the RF7 is a better speaker since it fits more applications. Others may say that makes it pedestrian.

The RF7 has done more RECENTLY to keep the Klipsch company healthy financially than the KHorn has, so if you were to ask the Klipsch CFO which is a better speaker, what answer do you think you would get?

Jerry Rappaport

I have own the RF7s for a short time (they are now with my sister). I don't have KHorns but I have listened to them before. Compare to Cornwalls, I'll say the Cornwalls beat the RF7s hands down.

The problem with KHorns is that you need good corners and large room. With Cornwalls, you don't need corners and the room doesn't have to be gigantic. Cornwalls play well in general in mid-size room (not too small and not too large).

I will still choose KHorns over RF7s. The RF7s are overly bright in the highends. They get worse with SS amps. Just my opinion, please don't flame me.

The Klipschorn hands down. The La Scalas and the Cornwalls also sound better than the RF-7s. They are far more musical, but are also a lot larger. I personally find the sound of the RF-7s to be hollow and thin when compared to the speakers listed above.

I forgot some things:

Properly set up and positioned a pair of RF7's will kick the KHorn's butt for depth of image and (therefore) apparent realism of the soundstage (in 2 channel mode only) - IMHO / YMMV and all that.

Provocative - but well caveated!

I would also say that the RF7 projects a life size image whilst the KHorn projects a larger than life size image. Depending on your preferences that could make either one a better choice than the other.

Finally the Khorn rolls off a lot lower than the RF7 (17.5 KHZ). This could also make a difference if you are in your 20's or early 30's, or female upto 40 something.

Thanks all for your response's. For those of you who don't know me, I have owned a pair of K-horns for over a year now. My room is 25 X 15 and due to the spouse wanting to change the room up (speakers on the short wall) and a possible move I have been looking for alternatives to the K-horns.

I have already switched my amps from 20 watts set's to 120 watt PP Dodd's. I originally wanted to go with La Scalas but my friends in the DFW hornheads group keep telling me the La Scalas are VERY forward sounding. ????? I guess my next step should be to listen to some La Scalas in my room with my gear.

I have a bridged center channel box from audiokid. So there would be three speakers along the 15 foot wall. The only problem is now we need sub woofers etc. etc. for this set up to work. All the best, Guy

"I originally wanted to go with La Scalas but my friends in the DFW hornheads group keep telling me the La Scalas are VERY forward sounding."

Only because there isn't any real bottom end to the speaker, so like the Heresy, it sounds really tipped forward. There is an easy fix for that.

"There is an easy fix for that."

One?

1. A bass boost button on your pre-amp.

2. Tone controls on your pre-amp.

3. An Equalizer - many and various to choose from.

4. A Sub woofer - or 2.

5. Building the ported box thing under the LaScala.

That is 5 without thinking.

Khorns make everything sound good: movies and music. I heard Deans RF7 upgraded crossovers at Daddydees Arkansas gathering in May 2004Quite impressive. Clearly audible difference. Much smother. Removed harshness in high-end. Everybody noticed. Heard RF7s against Khorns in same room. Khorns much better in mid-range, but still same horn sound, just larger, clearer, more effortless sounding. Soundstage not as deep (Rf7s away from front walls).

Also heard noticeable difference between Cornwalls and Chorus versus LaScala and Khorns, with their larger mid-range horn. LaScala and Khorns better width, clarity and accuracy of the mid-range.

Khorn IS a pain in the ***: big, heavy, needs superior amplifiers, and room corners. Ohh, but what glorious sound from a speaker under $10K! The deeper bass of the Khorn does balance the wonderful mid and high range of the LaScalla.

10.gif

It seems the price of e-bay has gone up a lot over the last year or 2. What was once a bargin is now drawing top dollar. It's better to find stuff at thrift stores and garage sales now since deals are very tough to come by on e-bay. I purchased a pair of OO Forte's in excellent condition a few years ago for average of what they were selling for at the time, $400. This pair would easily draw $5-600 today. I thought it was only FL real estate that appreciated like that2.gif !! I'm keeping my Heritage.