Denon Receiver advice, please?

tripod

Well, the itch to upgrade is back and it must be scratched.

I've all but decided on buying a refurbished Denon AVR-1905 for $296.

However, before pulling the trigger I would like to know your collective opinion on this.

Are there any negative aspects to the 1905 that I should be aware of?

Are there other Denon models that will provide the same or more capabilities for less money? There are so many Denon models out there that I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of what is what. One thing I want for sure is signal conversion, which the 1905 does.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

At that price point I would not expect too much, save some more money and get a better receiver. Consider buying a used higher end receiver. Your system will only be as good as your weakest link.

The older Denon AVR-4800 is a hell of a receiver, I had one! My brother in law has it now. I bought it used a few years ago.

While I understand that more money will typically get a better receiver, I don't plan to get a high end unit anytime soon. It's just not an option for me at this point.

From what I've read about the 1905, it seems quite capable and I'm wondering if anyone feels otherwise. If so, please share your specific concerns/suggestions.

Thanks!

----------------

On 5/31/2005 10:19:10 AM tripod wrote:

Well, the itch to upgrade is back and it must be scratched.

I've all but decided on buying a refurbished Denon AVR-1905 for $296.

However, before pulling the trigger I would like to know your collective opinion on this.

Are there any negative aspects to the 1905 that I should be aware of?

Are there other Denon models that will provide the same or more capabilities for less money? There are so many Denon models out there that I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of what is what. One thing I want for sure is signal conversion, which the 1905 does.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

The 1905 is a terrific receiver for the price and includes three component inputs with video upconvesion to component transmission. I recently installed one at my in-laws and was impressed with the features and sound. BTW, what speakers are you using? I purchased my refurbished Denon 3805 through Dakmart with no problems. I couldn't convince my in-laws to buy the refurb unit and save $200 but I suggest you try it. Dakmart refurbs include a one year factory warranty. Good luck.

----------------

Frzn: Thanks, the 3801 looks like a great receiver, but I don't think it has the video conversion I'm looking for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IAmtnbikr: Thanks for the dakmart link, I didn't know about them. I was looking at the 2105 as well. CNet's review seems to indicate that the 1905 and 2105 are VERY similar, so I think I'll be happy with the 1905 too. Since Dakmart doesn't have any 1905's or 2105's right now, I'll probably go with ecost, who is also an authorized reseller for Denon. Thanks again for the response.

Duffinator: Thanks to you too. As I noted above, Dakmart doesn't currently have the 1905 that I'm looking for, but ecost does, so I'll probably go with them for now. The 3805 sure looks impressive, but it's out of my range for now. I'm definitely okay with buying a refurb. I figure that those have probably been checked more carefully than regular production units.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1122664506

I just sold my 4802 and went up to McIntosh. This was a heckuva buy. I got 1200.00 for mine about a month ago. To be honest my McIntosh is really nice and sounds great, but the Denon was not very far behind on overall performance. Denon processors in my mind are tremendous. I'd keep my eyes open for one of these at this kind of pricing. I darn near bought it, but difficult to explain to my spouse why I would need another HT receiver when I just bought a 6500.00 receiver.

Good luck--you can't go wrong with Denon

There is a HUGH difference between the lower end Denon (made in China) and the higher end stuff (made in Japan).

A salesman suckered me into a AVR 1804 and it sounded like CRAP compared to my two channel amp. Took it back in less than a week and traded it in on a B&K Ref 50 and thus began another relentless round of up grades.

James

Here's hoping that my impressions are different than yours. 4.gif

I ordered the 1905 this afternoon. 9.gif

----------------

On 6/3/2005 9:25:16 PM jheis wrote:

There is a HUGH difference between the lower end Denon (made in China) and the higher end stuff (made in Japan).

A salesman suckered me into a AVR 1804 and it sounded like CRAP compared to my two channel amp. Took it back in less than a week and traded it in on a B&K Ref 50 and thus began another relentless round of up grades.

James

----------------