Poll: Would you prefer the Yamaha RX-V3000 or the Denon AVR-4802?

Kain

BTW, I have to decide between these two receivers. The problem is that I CANNOT audition them, and so I must rely on peoples opinions and comments. I would get the Yamaha RX-V3000, but the thing that is holding me back is the fact that some people are saying that it is too bright.

Perfect timing with this post.

I've also got these two on my short list of receivers to upgrade to. I plan on having the next upgrade be the one that I hold onto for a number of years so I really want to make sure that I get it right.

My first choice normally would be the Yamaha. I currently have a lower Yamaha model and am very pleased with it. However, there are a few things that I would like to have in a receiver that the Yamaha doesn't have and the Denon does.

1. Adjustable bass management (Denon goes down to 40hz, Yamaha fixed at 90hz)

2. Same as above :-)

3. second set of rear surround channels

4. DTS ES discrete

If any new Yamaha comes out with some of these features, especially the bass management, then I'd go with the new Yamaha. But if it's only between the RX-V3000 and the AVR-4802 then I think I'll be buying my first Denon.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

I would have to suggeest the Yamaha. I currently own the RX-V1000 and love it. For the record I think that when people say that Yamaha is "too bright" that is only so with the cheaper models. The higher end models are just right to me anyway. The Yamaha RX-V3000 does have both DD 6.1 and DTS ES and it also adds two front effects channels if you are interested. I also prefer the Yamaha because it is more streamlined and elegant looking than the Denons. But this is all just my opinion and either model is a great choice.

------------------

Panasonic CT-36HD40 HDTV

SONY DVP-S530SE DVD

SONY CD-210 CD

SONY VHS PLAYER

YAMAHA RX-V1000

MONSTER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS

MONSTER CABLE Z2 BIWIRE

RF-3 BIWIRED

RC-3

RS-3

KSW-12

Unless I'm mistaken the Yamaha is DTS ES MATRIX and not Discrete.

From the RX-V3000 section of the Yamaha website:

"Utilizing a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital or DTS signal, Yamaha's Matrix Decoder extracts a rear center signal, (DTS ES)."

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

This message has been edited by erdric on 09-05-2001 at 10:23 PM

oh yea if you're talkin features the denon 4802 has those caus 1) denon is king of the features & 2) this unit just came out.

looks great to me if only for a preamp:

THX Surround EX/DTS ES 6.1 Discrete/THX 6.1/Dolby Pro Logic II/Dolby Digital/DTS A/V

Receiver World's First A/V component with THX Post Processing for DTS ES Discrete 6.1;

DTS 96/24 5.1 Decoding for DVD-Video; Dolby Pro Logic II with THX Post Processing THX

Surround EX; Dolby Digital, including Matrix 6.1; DTS Lucasfilm Home THX Cinema 4.0

and 5.1 post-processing; DDSC-Digital featuring dual Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit

floating point DSP processors THX Ultra Certified 7 Channels equal power amplifier

section 125 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) 150 watts per

channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) Power Amplifier Assign function, lets you

assign 2 of the 7 amp channels to drive second zone speakers directly Adjustable Cross

over Switching (40, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz) Surround A/B Speaker Switching 24 bit, 96 kHz

A/D conversion Analog Devices AD-1854 24 bit, 96 kHz highest resolution DACs Pure

Direct audio mode, Shuts down video and/or DSP sections for the highest audio

fidelity ALPHA 24 processing in Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes (front left/right channels)

processing via SHARC DSP Real 24 bit, up to 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver 3 sets

component video inputs, compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for

progressive DVD, DTV (50 MHz bandwidth) 8 sets composite and "S" video inputs 7.1

external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) inputs for future multi-channel formats (such as

DVD-Audio) 8 assignable digital inputs 12 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM

tuner Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp outputs RS-232C port for external

controller Enhanced AKTIS RC-8000 LCD IR touchpanel remote included; optional RF

transmission capability using the AKTIS RC-8001ST Charger/RF Base Station Available at

dealers in Late August/Early September!

what i'm wondering about is how it sounds w/ my system,

room, preferences, etc.

Ah crap. Frown.gif

I just phoned the Denon dealer here in Dubai and he said that the highest/best model they have here is the Denon AVR-3801.

I guess I now have to decide between the Yamaha RX-V3000 and the Denon AVR-3801.

So, which should I get? Remeber that I CANNOT audition these so I must rely on your comments and opinions.

Just my two cents on Denon ... I have the 4800 and as previously posted, it is great just as a pre-amp. I have all 6 channels (except the center) running pre-outs to tube amps or powered subwoofer. To find all these bells and whistles in a pre-amp would cost $$.

By the way, even the amp sections sound great with the horns ... but I think I like tubes just a wee bit better.

------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

McIntosh MC-30 (driving Belle)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

thanks chris. i just picked up an acurus A200X5 power amp & looking toward the denon 4802 as a preamp for 5 channels & using it's amp only for the rear center.

though would kinda like to see what aragon has for their new preamps/processors at the cedia show this week.

No adjustable bass management on either would make the choice easier for me. I'd stick with Yamaha.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

Point out to yor dealer the 3801 is last years stuff and get a really good deal on it.Localy it could have been had last week for $649.

I'll side with Denon.I like my 3801 a lot.It's the 3rd Denon I've owned.I get the upgrade bug.

Love to have the 4802.If price isn't a problem,wait for the 4802 to get there or get it from the net.

Have owned Yamaha and to me it was a bit bright and edgy with Klipsch.But that's my ear.Also like the "direct"mode for music and have always had a problem finding it on a Yamaha.How do you get to 2 channel stereo,by-passing all the DSP stuff,Yamaha guys?

Denon and Yamaha seem to have taken two separate approaches to the surround system. Yamaha's enhancements are based around the front channels, providing a wider soundstage up front. Denon on the other hand has centered its approach on the rear/side soundstage. Keep in mind that I have not heard the Denon system, and have yet to experience the full potential of the Yamaha. My opinion is simply based on my preceptions of performance. Personally I believe the front soundstage is the most important, which would initially make me lean towards the Yamaha. The Denon has more power at 125w evenly distributed through 7 channels. The Denon would appear to feature an impressive rear soundstage, but is it so much better than the Yamaha to give it the edge? The Yamaha features 8 channels, 100W X 6 channels and 25W X 2 (front effects). Although the front effects channels are less powerful, they feature enough power to add the extra width and depth to the front soundstage. For the rear, the Yamaha adds a rear center channel for 6.1 playback. My opinion is that the Denon consentrates too much on rear enhancement, while the Yamaha provides a more rounded improvement. As I said, this is only my opinion based solely on conjecture.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70