OT: New High-Definition Video Camera

picky

Mrs. Picky and I just returned from a two-week trip out to South Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa driving out from Michigan. It was a genealogical research trip to try and find information on both of my wife's lines (her mother and her father). It was a highly successful trip and we were even able to go inside the farm house her dad was born in. During the trip we bought a relatively cheap Garmin hand-held GPS unit to record the coordinates of each home, gravesite and the land her ancestors owned. Now, future researchers of the line will have no trouble finding the locations using the latitudes and longitudes we've recorded. I also shot lots of video on the trip using my 7-year old Canon Elura MiniDV camcorder. However, the second to last day of the trip, the flip-out video screen stopped functioning. I guess the ribbon-cable must have finally worn-out after 7-years of hard use. The viewfinder screen still works, but the on/off switch started to cut-out intermittantly about 6 months ago. In short: It was time to replace the old camera.

After work I went and purchased a new video camera. I have not been a big Sony fan, but it's been my experience that on of the things Sony does do very well is that they make excellent video cameras. I bought the Sony Model HDR-FX1 High Definition, MiniDV camcorder. It was after much deliberation as I actually preferred the professional model, which is the HVR-Z1U. Unfortunately, I could not justify buying a $5,000 camera without a business case. So, I found the consumer model (HDR-FX1) at a local store for $3,499.

I did research the cameras on line, but there are now so many "shyster" camera sites out there with them all lying to me (everyone was trying to sell me the Japanese-market professional model for $3,999 and then screw me over on the accessories that were supposed to come with it in the first place). All this after they insisted the camera was a US Market camera! A perfect reason to buy things from a reputable, authorized dealer! So, I visited my local camera shop and they made me a sweet deal on a floor model, WITH a full US Warranty! Hey, I gave the web a shot and then made what I consider to be the best and safest, logical choice.

The camera is incrediable! The image quality is the best I have seen in a prosumer-level camera. I had considered Canon's XL-2 but it is not Hi-Def so I nixed it. The only other camera I considered was JVC's GY-HD100U Hi-Def camera. But, it came out over 2 years ago. JVC is coming out with a new one in August that is in the the $5,500-range and has a Fujinon cinema lens set included! But, I have a friend's wedding to shoot in July so I could not wait. Plus, the new JVC is above my price point of $4,000 or less.

I will be using this month to familarize myself with the camera so I can shoot the wedding with confidence in early July. I may even bring it to the Friday night mixer down in Indy. I don't know how many others here have an interest in shooting Hi-Def video, but I'll be happy to write a report of this camera as time goes on and my experience with it grows. It's going to be a busy month!

I have the Z1 and real happy with it and also the Canon XL-1s.

The problem is unless you downconvert to 16 x 9 digital no one

will be able to watch it at the present time. You can PTT to the

JVC D-VHS tapes but no one has those machines yet. They are very good

quality wise. Then there is the Sony HDV recorder/player for about

$3500.00 but nobody has them either. There are no discs available yet

for burning HDV and there are few recorders available and only in Japan.

Sony is still conferencing with the HD-DVD people about a compromise on

burners and discs in relation to the Blu-Ray. Many news articles saying that

there will be additional delay's. HD-DVD technology can be converted too

on present production lines in 15 minutes. BluRay requires a billion

dollar factory and the discs still cost more than the HD-DVD discs. So unless

you supply a D-VHS deck with the tape your client will not be able to view the wedding for a few years, then they will probably be divorced.

JJK

Picky,

Very cool! I have used a GL1 and GL2, along with a Sony. I liked the Sony better. I am more inclined to go with a Sony when I make a purchase. Also more inclined to get one that will do DVCAM. Although the compression is the same as MiniDV, the track width is greater, meaning the tapes hold up better.

Sure doesn't mean the video looks better.2.gif

Marvel

Guys: I've used my little Canon Elura for 7 years now and I also have access to an XL-1 Canon. The Elura has been a remarkable camera, despite its tiny size. I have now outgrown the limtations of the smaller cameras as I am sure you can imagine. The XL-2 was a very serious consideration for me this time. However, I am disappointed that Canon did not offer HD on the XL-2. It made me feel that if I did buy the XL-2 that it would be akin to buying a very good reel-to-reel! I do own a JVC D-VHS and I already understood the issues raised here about the lack of a delivery method for HD to any prospective clients. Given the fact that I only buy a new video camera about every 5 to 7 years, I considered HD an imperitive knowing that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are just over the horizon. So, with this purchase, I feel that I am one step ahead of "getting there" with the total HD gambit. An HD camera was undoubtably the largest hurdle I will have to overcome. I would have liked to afforded the Z1 so that I could shoot in DVCAM, but, oh, well. The HD burner will come later. I can still shoot in standard def with this camera, so I am good there as far as any outside distribution. At home, we'll simply watch in HD. Now, I need to upgrade my NLE software so it will handle HD.

Picky-welcome back! I have wondered where you've been and nearly sent you an e-mail yesterday to see how things are going. That trip sounds wonderful-full of beautiful scenery and lots of sentimental value! Congrats on the camera and welcome back!

David

I forgot to mention that you can use the MY-HD 130 computer tuner card to view your HD stuff, capture your Sony HDV stuff to computer with Cineform Connect HD, then change the file ending from m2t to tp then put the file into the file viewing folder of the MY-HD card which will play the file directly from your hard drive. The quality is outstanding (I knmow I have all that stuff) and you can PTT from the MY-HD card to your Sony Camera or the JVC D-VHS vcr. I have about 110 files I recorded off the MY-HD Tuner card which has all the toy's including remote control auto programming, the whole shot.

digitalconnection.com

JJK

dkp: Yeah, I've been really busy for about the last month so I haven't been contributing as much time to the forum as I would like. Thanks for the warm welcome back, pal!

JJKIZAK: Thanks for the tips. It's good to know there's someone out there with some HD video experience that is willing to help. It's such a new medium for us consumers.

Nick: Thanks, man! QUACK!!!

aflac_2.jpg

...AFLAC!

post-10177-13819266286174_thumb.jpg