Sorry: Same question, different day

fini

Clipped dropped by today, to try out his new test pressing (12" 45 RPM) on my Khorn system (Mac 1900, Kenwood KD500, SME 3009 Series II arm, Shure V15 III). Something was way out of whack, and I am thinking it's the cartridge (it wasn't the disc!). I know I've asked more than once, but I'd like some high output cartridge recomendations. I think Max had suggested Denon and Ortofon. I'm on a tight budget for this purchase, and thus am not looking for anything high falutin' (is that the correct spelling? Maybe it's phaleutin...), just a decent cartridge that doesn't sound like crap, or skip out of the groove like my other cartridge, a dang dancing Grado. I'd also be interested in anyone's "leftover after upgrading" if it's in decent shape. Trades are a possibility, as well.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 8:15:30 AM scott0527 wrote:

I like this Audio Technica for the price and ease of availability. It's got "fulsome bass".

Those Denons Max points out are a good price too. I might have to try one of those for my non hi-falutin' turntable.

----------------

I forgot to mention that the Denon's Bass response kicks some serious butt.

ah think yer gonna luv it!

----------------

On 6/2/2005 6:21:35 AM maxg wrote:

Denon 110 or 160.

Not great differences between the 2 so whichever one you can find ASSUMING your arm is medium mass or higher (I do not know your arm).

I dont know the Ortofon range at all these days.----------------

i-1.jpg

I sold Mr. Fini this one a while back. "High Mass?" We got your high mass right here!

I think Max's suggestion of a Denon DL-110 or my previous suggestion of an Ortofon MC-1 would work great--both are excellent "budget" high output moving coil cartridges and availble new in the $125-$150 range.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 9:33:04 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 6/2/2005 6:21:35 AM maxg wrote:

Denon 110 or 160.

Not great differences between the 2 so whichever one you can find ASSUMING your arm is medium mass or higher (I do not know your arm).

I dont know the Ortofon range at all these days.----------------

"<a
http://www.vinyl-lebt.de/SME/SME3009/i-1.jpg">

I sold Mr. Fini this one a while back. "High Mass?" We got your high mass right here!

I think Max's suggestion of a Denon DL-110 or my previous suggestion of an Ortofon MC-1 would work great--both are excellent "budget" high output moving coil cartridges and availble new in the $125-$150 range.

----------------

Yup!

That'll do! Not heard the Ortophon so cant compare to the Denon's - anyone on here heard both?

I'll roger up for Max' DL110/DL160 recommendation, I have the DL 160 and love it. Needle Dr says they test at 2.2mV vice the rated 1.6 mV. I am inclined to believe the 1.6 mV rating myself it does require a bit more volume on my system to produce a similar level output compared to other source devices.

My Yamaha is at 2.5 mV. The Denon does quite nicely, it is mated to an older Denon TT with a med/high mass "S" arm. I am just getting back into vinyl. Not sure why I left so many moons ago other than a youthful eagerness to embrace the then new technology of the "digital disc". Oh well my return is proving to be an enjoyable one.

Fini, I have a spare Ortofon X5-mc that you could borrow for a while to see if you like it. We can discuss price latter. Got a great deal from Mr Juki in Hong Kong on it. I owe you for the Black Widow anyway. Send me your adddress if interested.

Jim N