Forte magnets affect my TV

franczyk

Hi everyone. I finally picked up a pair of original Fortes and man, do they rock... I first tried it with my NAD amp, and it was just screechy. Later, I moved my Dynaco from my office system and turmed it up to full blast with Dire Straits (the manditory audition song) :-)

I caught my wife out of the corner of my eye when she walked in, and expected her to start yelling to turn it down. (it was rock concert loud) Then I noticed that she just stood there with a huge grin on her face and couldnt stop smiling. When I finally turned it down, her first words were "man, that Dyanco DOES sound better on those speakers. You need to get another one for out here!" Rock on!

Anyway, for my problem: The top right corner of my 32" tube tv has a slight discoloration from being too close to a speaker in years past. Its very slight under normal circumstances (maybe 3 inches long and only 1/4 inch thick along the top right corner, and only visible under certain colors). However, if I put the forte anywhere within 4 - 5 feet of the TV, the discoloration becomes pretty huge. Worse yet, if I toe the speakers in, even at 4 feet, the discoloration becomes larger. I can put my proacs right next to the TV cabinet and I dont have a problem at all. What can I do? Fortunately, the Fortes sound better when placed wider within my room, but Id like to have the option to move them in, as the right side woofer is now partially blocked by the couch.

Thanks.

Yes, it is odd to me too. The rate of magnetic feild attenuation with distance in free space is inverse sixth power (real short range) - do you have any of this stuff close to any metal frame or stand that might be helping the effect from place to place?

Paul

If you keep the speakers to close to the tv for long periods of time, you are taking a chance of messing up the tv screen for good. I would suggest moving the speakers away from the tv until you dont see the different colors on the screen. The older Fortes were not a shielded speaker , so this is why this is happening.

My Fortes that I still have used to do the same thing, so I moved on of them out of the room completely, Now the tv is in the garage.

Well, the side of the TV that doesnt have the magnet damage does not give me any problem at any distance. I think it is because it is already damaged that it is hyper sensitive... Plus, I think the forte magnets are significantly more powerful than the magnets on the ScanSpeak drivers in the ProAC 2.5s I have.

Maybe insanely strong magnets is partly how Klipsch is capable of getting such high sensitivities.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/2/2005 8:17:29 PM djk wrote:

After you fix the speaker or move it away, buy a de-gausing coil and fix your TV.

----------------

I second that!

Best,

George

----------------

On 6/2/2005 11:58:16 AM pauln wrote:

Yes, it is odd to me too. The rate of magnetic feild attenuation with distance in free space is inverse sixth power (real short range) - do you have any of this stuff close to any metal frame or stand that might be helping the effect from place to place?

Paul

----------------

Nope, no metal rack. Its a wooden cabinet.