need more bass for my k-horns

iwillwalk

I assume the KHorns are on the 20-foot wall...

The sub would idealy be crossed-over at around 40Hz, right? You likely have enough sub unless you listen at 115 dB. I have a Hsu STF-3 and it blends in very well.

Subs usually calibrate lower than we expect...

If the music, or movies, are very dynamic you will run out of clean bass long before stressing out the Khorns.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 9:07:20 PM psg wrote:

You likely have enough sub unless you listen at 115 dB.

----------------

Yes... the peaks are at pretty loud volumes, but the avg SPL will be well below 110db.

----------------

On 6/3/2005 6:31:32 PM iwillwalk wrote:

but being paralized i cant feel it until is VERY loud.

----------------

I never realized that although your alias seems obvious now. We are not talking just about a "matter of speech" , right?

I opted to go with a DIY infinite baffle sub in hopes of keeping up with the khorns... and I don't dial it hot. If you are looking for a comercially available sub, I'd point towards the SVS PB12-Ultra/2 but it doesn't come inexpensively.

Have you considered "bass shakers"?? it'll add the feel without overpowering your ears...

Rob

so you think he 25-31 is enough? because i use tgo run live sound so i love it LOUD.do you think the ultra would fill the void or go all the way?

my promlem is my corners are full of k-horns

& bass shakers would have to be on my wheelchair ???

build a false corner for the sub? that could be a topic on its own......hum

----------------

On 6/4/2005 12:49:33 PM iwillwalk wrote:

i use tgo run live sound so i love it LOUD.do you think the ultra would fill the void or go all the way? ... the sub is distorting.gain about 1/2 way& crossed over at 40 hz thats my questio

----------------

Well "loud" is a relative thing... but like I mentioned in my other post... khorns can do "loud" better than most subs. Your room is a decent size at 16x20 (not big nor small) and I'm guessing that it's very well possible that your sub is running out of steam.

BTW, the "gain" knob really isn't an indication of subwoofer headroom... but rather you processors subwoofer output level.

----------------

build a false corner for the sub? that could be a topic on its own......hum

----------------

Corner placement will give you the loudest, but not necessarily the flattest bass. Optimising your placement or building a false corner won't provide the gain you seem to be looking for (±3db?) but may help somewhat.

A more powerfull sub will take it a step further. What kind of budget you looking at?

----------------

bass shakers would have to be on my wheelchair ???

----------------

If you live in a wood structure (wood framed home) you can place the bass shaker beneath the floor of your primary listening position. Placing it on your wheel chair really isn't a good option, as it'll restrict your movement.

----------------

can you put a sub in a closet? and if so how long can a sub cable run?

----------------

If you mean in a closet, but with the door open... Sure why not.... but it's performance will be similarly room dependant as placing directly in fornt of the closet.

Rob

----------------

On 6/4/2005 3:55:52 PM iwillwalk wrote:

my k-horns are fine

the sub is distorting.gain about 1/2 way& crossed over at 40 hz

thats my questio

----------------

Don't pay any attention to the gain knob; in application terms it means nothing. What sub are you currently using? This would help me understand what you may mean by loud. If it's an RSW-15 or DD-18 then much louder by your definition may cost thousands more dollars, but if you're using a Best Buy/Circuit City bought sub then we can surely find you some more headroom.

If you're not familiar with the SVS product mentioned previsouly (PB12Ultra2) then you may not be aware of its capabilities. I currently use in the HT a PB12+2 which is the step down from the Ultra TV-12 driver but still an earth mover. My brother said that on his way to his car in my driveway he could feel the pavement move (and the Ultra is more potent yet!). The SVS line is well known for its subsonic performance and may be the shake you're looking for. I love my entire Klipsch lineup but their subs just aren't designed for the powerful subsonic extension I desire.

Ya know, if you didn't want to use the closet anymore it could always be converted into an infinite baffle setup 2.gif

An IB setup might also be an option if you've got an attic above you or a basement below you. If you want more output all you have to do is keep adding drivers. (4 - 8 of any 15" IB sub should get you 120dB at 20Hz with only a 1000 watt or so amp)

The real key here is how much you're willing to spend.

For most people, an IB gives you cleaner, lower sound for less dollars than any commercial cub, internet direct or otherwise. If you had to pay someone to build it, you would loose the cost advantage. I don't think the poster would tackle such a project.