where to find lowest price on VPI 16.5 record cleaner?

robster

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:58:43 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The VPI 16.5 and all of the Nitty Gritty models are crap, really. And if you are going to use crap, you might as well buy the cheapest model out there. That's what Chris was trying to say and I was agreeing with him. Just trying to help out--too bad if we offended you.

----------------

More poor advice, 2nd edited version.

In actuality, record cleaning machines are almost essential if you want to enjoy used vinyl.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they are essential. But the VPI 16.5 and ALL of the Nitty Gritty models are built to a price and are rather crudely made--in no way am I suggesting that they don't provide an essential function, much in the way a Hyundai performs the same essential functiion as a Cadillac. Choosing among the various Nitty Gritty models and the VPI 16.5 is akin to deciding between a Kia or a Hyundai.

I have seen and heard the results when a really excellent Record Cleaning Machine is used. One day I might well decide to BUY one of these really excellent machines, but for now I'll make due with utilitarian crap.

New furniture models

http://www.smartdev.com/loricraft.html

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:57:29 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:50:11 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I know TWO people who have an extra cork mat for their VPI that they use for the initial cleaning of exceptionally bad thrift store vinyl.

THe Nitty Gritty works great and I'm sure the VPI does as well--but since this thread was about getiing the LOWEST price, Chris and I mentioned a CHEAP, effective alternative to the VPI.

----------------

If you'll go back and read carefully, you'll find Robert wanted low price info on the VPI 16.5. Once again, as you did when you recommended a Thorens in another thread, you talk up something that you have, while ignoring the interest of the person posing the original question.

This was not a thread discussing the relative merits of competing record cleaning machines.

----------------

Also sprach wenig stechen Arschloch. "Listen up boys, and please clear all posts with our little moderator-wannabe before posting."

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:58:43 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The VPI 16.5 and all of the Nitty Gritty models are crap, really.

----------------

You know a lot more about this stuff than most, so I won't dispute that. I'm just here to say I have the Nitty Gritty 1.5FI, and it works pretty darn well for me. I'd probably have to spend several thousand to get a real high-end cleaner to do any better.

Dude, I have been using a 1.0 Nitty Gritty for more than ten years. It works GREAT, but you have to admit it's not of the highest quality. Once you see and feel and hear what a Loricraft or Keith Monks machine can do, you'll know what I mean. I just can't pull the trigger on a $1800 machine--- YET! One day I will break down and buy one I am sure. All I have to do is sell a few rare records that I have duplicates of, but DAMN! $1800 sure is a lot of money for a record cleaning machine!!

Y'know, Allan, even with the VPI, I don't have any records worth more than my cleaner... As a matter of fact, I don't think I have the stamina to clean enough records in one session that would add up to that much.

You see where I'm going with this...

wow this thread got pretty heated for a simple question about best price for a 16.5,I have the 16.5 and had the nitty gritty and both clean the records just as well,the only thing that might make a difference is the fluid and brush you choose afterall you cant get any more than about 29 inches of vacuum unless your in space then you can pull 30.9.gif

When the Library of Congress began their tape archiving of their record collection a few years back, they had to choose turntables and cleaning machines to use. They considered them all and finally settled on Simon York turntables (I think a total of 10 versions for the different disc types and speeds) and the VPI 16.5 record cleaning machines. It's also interesting that they chose tape (video I think, but I'm not certain right now) over digital storage.

Also, when you use any cleaning machine, you should always clean the record first before putting it on the platter to AVOID cross contamination from thrifty records. It's common sense.

To compare the plastic toy Nitty Gritty to the VPI 16.5 is almost laughable. The Nitty Gritty is adequate in a pinch or if you just don't have the resources to buy a real machine.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:11:00 PM ben. wrote:

Y'know, Allan, even with the VPI, I don't have any records worth more than my cleaner... As a matter of fact, I don't think I have the stamina to clean enough records in one session that would add up to that much.

You see where I'm going with this...
----------------

I know exactly where you're going--I'M ALREADY THERE! That's why I am still using the bottom-of-the-line Nitty Gritty!

I do know one maniac with a Keith Monks RCM and have seen it in action. First off, it's QUIET! That alone is worth a few bucks, don't you think? You can actully clean records and listen to your hi-fi at the same time! I do my record cleaning in a converted closet because the noise drives my wife CRAZY!

From what I've seen, ONE SINGLE PASS with the Monks/Loricraft machines gets the record as clean as four or five cycles with a cheap machine--no kidding.

I keep thinking it couldn't be that difficult to convert a spare turntable into a cleaning machine. Maybe add a Sears Craftsman power washer and a shop vac, and you'd be good to go. It'd drown out the sound of that Nitty Gritty, for sure.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:05:50 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Once you see and feel and hear what a Loricraft or Keith Monks machine can do, you'll know what I mean. I just can't pull the trigger on a $1800 machine--- YET! One day I will break down and buy one I am sure. All I have to do is sell a few rare records that I have duplicates of, but DAMN! $1800 sure is a lot of money for a record cleaning machine!!

----------------

I am surprised that you don't have one. True, it'd be worth as much as five of your turntables, but you'd be the only here who owned one, so think of the bragging rights. Ben would swoon (see below1.gif ).

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:20:18 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:11:00 PM ben. wrote:

You see where I'm going with this...----------------

I know exactly where you're going--I'M ALREADY THERE! That's why I am still using the bottom-of-the-line Nitty Gritty!

I do know one maniac with a Keith Monks RCM and have seen it in action. First off, it's QUIET! That alone is worth a few bucks, don't you think? You can actully clean records and listen to your hi-fi at the same time! I do my record cleaning in a converted closet because the noise drives my wife CRAZY!

From what I've seen, ONE SINGLE PASS with the Monks/Loricraft machines gets the record as clean as four or five cycles with a cheap machine--no kidding.

----------------

You loon, I was trying to tell you to buy one, already! You wouldn't wash your Armani in a $200 Hotpoint washer, would you?

Fini,

I saw something on a web site that had instructions to do just that. The guy bought a cannister vac from a thrift shop and modified an attachment into a wand with a slit in it. And if I am remembering correctly used an old turntable and a clamp of some sort. It appeared to be able to do what my Nitti Gritti can do although with a little better build quality!

Josh

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:13:22 PM spaaaz wrote:

wow this thread got pretty heated for a simple question about best price for a 16.5,I have the 16.5 and had the nitty gritty and both clean the records just as well,the only thing that might make a difference is the fluid and brush you choose afterall you cant get any more than about 29 inches of vacuum unless your in space then you can pull 30.
9.gif

----------------

Part one of instructions from the true expert on vinyl around here, Analogman:

Supplies and equipment:

A vacuum type cleaning machine (I own and prefer the VPI 16.5)

A white 100% cotton bath towel, get it NEW and only use it for this purpose (dedicated towel), find one as plush as you can

A stainless steel salad bowl with a mouth opening of 12 1/2" or as close as you can find, they're often sold in sets (small to large) at places like K-Mart and are cheap, give the wife the left overs and be a hero

A SOFT, ALL NATURAL BRISTLE BRUSH (shaving) the best I have found are marketed under the Burma-Shave brand

Distilled water

A bottle of Kodak Photo-Flo

Isopropyl alcohol-99% PURE, 99% pure is getting harder for me to find, 91% seems to be more common and will suffice, don't go any lower

An eye dropper-the "standard" one, about 2" long

CLEAN measuring cup, I have a dedicated Pyrex for this purpose, use whatever you wish as long as it's CLEAN

White paper napkins

A bottle of a mild but EFFECTIVE surfactant, I strongly recommend "Dawn" Ultra-Concentrate Original Scent (the blue stuff)

The hard part is over, getting every thing together, now you're set for life!

The Solution:

It's been around for years in one form or another, this is what I have settled upon

Recipe for One US Gallon

75% distilled water

25% isopropyl alcohol

One eye dropper full of Kodak Photo-Flo

One eye dropper full of Dawn

Mix THOROUGHLY-Shake-Shake-Shake until you can't shake no more

It's DONE-you've just manufactured $5,000.00 worth of "approved" High Performance, anecdotally verified record cleaning solution, using PROVEN scientific methods!

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:40:39 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:05:50 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Once you see and feel and hear what a Loricraft or Keith Monks machine can do, you'll know what I mean. I just can't pull the trigger on a $1800 machine--- YET! One day I will break down and buy one I am sure. All I have to do is sell a few rare records that I have duplicates of, but DAMN! $1800 sure is a lot of money for a record cleaning machine!!

----------------

I am surprised that you don't have one. True, it'd be worth as much as five of your turntables, but you'd be the only here who owned one, so think of the bragging rights. Ben would swoon.

----------------

I thought they quit making Keith Monk's machine about 10 years ago?