"OLD" receivers are great!

popbumper

All:

Picked up a Sansui QRX 7500 receiver yesterday - for FREE (and a set of Sansui speakers, sorry, can't quote the model right now). This receiver is HEFTY, comes in the standard 70's obligatory walnut veneered case, and puts out a lot of power - aside from a dirty volume knob, it is completely intact and functional! Also has some neat functions that I honestly don't understand - throw backs to early surround sound. Fun stuff!

Chris

Quadraphonic, baby! That's one groovy receiver, man...far out! Like...do you have four Klipsch speakers for this massive receiver, man?10.gif

Seriously, that is one cool receiver...hope all four channels work properly. If I recall, Sansui made some of the best quad receivers back in the day. If you actually have any good quality quad recordings from that era, you should be totally blown away with the sound! My dad had one of the last Sansui quad receivers back in '77 or so, with four BIC bookshelf loudspeakers. Playing his quad LPs, especially organist E. Power Bigg's "Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues", a CBS Records Masterworks LP of the four organs of Freiburg Cathedral, played from a central console controlling all four pipe organs at once. Now that was really heavy, man, with four distinct organs being played individually or all at once from all four corners of his music room. To me, that recording was the only time that quad actually worked as it was intended to!2.gif

I picked up an old Sansui 8080 (two channel, about 80 watts per channel) receiver a while back. This is the second 70's Sansui I've had. It's truly amazing just how good these old receivers can be. I'm very happy with mine in my main system right now using some old Avid speakers with them. The Sansui replaced my Scott LK-48-b tube amp a while back. It's that good!

Dave1.gif

I had the Sansui QRX-5500 once upon a time. It was a very good receiver for medium-efficiency speakers (22 watts/channel x 4). I never used it in the quad mode though. I also used it as the head amp mated with a Sumo Polaris PA, before I got a Sumo Electra preamp, which is the cleanest preamp I've ever heard.

>...quad LPs, especially organist E. Power Bigg's "Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues", a CBS Records Masterworks LP of the four organs of Freiburg Cathedral, played from a central console controlling all four pipe organs at once.

Jim, you reminded me I have a near-mint copy of that in SQ. Haven't heard it in a long time, and then only in Hafler passive. I can't wait to see what it sounds like (only 2 more weeks in Missery!) with the Panasonic Class D with ProLogic II or Neo 6. Should be interesting...

I've a number of other QS/SQ releases I'll need to look up as well.

Dave

Speaking of old receivers; my very first receiver "1981 Pioner SX-3700" with 45 watts per channel. I still use this from time to time, when I first fire it up and turn the volume knob, I get a scratching type of sound. When played for 30 minutes or so, it seems to be reduced, any ideas?

----------------

On 6/13/2005 7:46:21 PM mustang1 wrote:

Speaking of old receivers; my very first receiver "1981 Pioner SX-3700" with 45 watts per channel. I still use this from time to time, when I first fire it up and turn the volume knob, I get a scratching type of sound. When played for 30 minutes or so, it seems to be reduced, any ideas?

----------------

Sounds like the potentiometer is dirty. With the receiver off, turn the knob back and forth really quickly about twenty times. This is called "exercising the pot" and in many cases will fix the problem. If not a more involved cleaning may be called for.

Since I recently purchased my Klipsch Forte's I've been enjoying them with my vintage Pioneer SX-1980 (270 WPC) modified with a homemade tube pre-amp. They shure don't make them like they use to. The walnut veneer of my Klipsch speakers matches the walnut veneer of my Pioneer receiver.