Forte Fever

Southern

I picked up my first Klipsch speakers today (e-bay buy). I am the proud owner of a set of Klipsch Forte's I. I orignally hooked them up to my re-capped Dynaco 70's and listen to them for an hour. The main fuse blew (smelled like a resisitior blew). Then I hooked them up to my old Pioneer SX-1980 that I modified by connecting up a home made vacuum tube pre-amp. The sound is fantastic, the music seems like I have a live band in my basement. I am now a Klipsch-aholic!

like you I tried different speakers and am new to this forum, my local coffee shop had quartets and I was amazed everytime I was in there and there's a diversity of music.

I bought my forte II and found this forum and have spent the last six months reading and reading and reading. The knowledge in the archives is invaluable. welcome

Which tap did you use on the Dynaco? I found that the 8 ohm tap makes the speakers far too hot in the treble in my room. The 4 ohm taps fixes the frequency response greatly.

BUT, my room is far too large, and it sucks the bass out so when I use the 8 ohm tap, the treble sounds even brighter. I have a fairly 'live' room that is enormous. 30ft by 25ft with 11ft ceilings and open to 2 hallways and a 9x5 entry.

Southern,

I've been "infected" with the same fever you have for about 20years now. I bought my first pair of Forte I's from a local Tweeter store and loved the way sound when I got them home. I paid about $1,100 for them Being in Bose's backyard, I was looking to buy some Bose 901's and a co-worker did the right thing by steering me to the Fortes.

A friend of mine had a relative working for General Cinema back then. GC was in the process of replacing speakers in a number of theaters with Klipsch speakers and my friend was able to get a pair of Forte's for 1/2 the price. Well, I was able to jump on that opportunity and got a 2nd pair for half what I paid for the 1st pair.

Aside from having to replace a woofer early on(digital recording of an F16/18 blew it out) I have had no problems at all.

My Forte's have transitioned through different sized rooms, 2-channel, Dolby Pro-Logic, and now HT/DD5.1. I listen to a varied mix of blues, jazz, rock and now HT.

Best of luck with yours. You made a good decision in getting them.

Thanks for the replys & advice.

I am a new form member but I am not new to Klipsch Forums. I been reading posts and searching the Forums for the last 8 months. The stories & expert advice has convinced me to purchase a vintage set of Klipsch speakers. Now that I am a Klipsch owner I decided to become a forum member.

The sound from the Forte's continue to amaze me. Comparied to my old speakers it is like a heavy curtain has been removed and the sound is very much alive. I would like to move them upstairs into my living room (due to higher ceiling) but since I don't want to piss of the wife too much they are in my basement.

Regarding speaker protection, I am considering installing circuit breakers instead of fuses - any advise using resettable breakers instead of one time fuses?

I used the 4 ohm tap when I had the Forte's hooked to the Dynaco. I havn't had a chance to look at what cooked in the Dynaco amp.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 2:35:52 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

tube amps like to see a load the same . or higher on the output Tap..

you may have hastened the demise of some component, due to the current mis-match ...

I LOVE my Forte' 2's

never to be sold ...

FUSE >>FUSE >>FUSE>>FUSE>>>FUSE

fast blow 1.5 amp

----------------

I will fuse my speakers before hooking them back up to the Dynaco's. My Forte's are rated at 4 ohms, I even measured 4.4 Ohms with my DMM. The type of my Fortes are listed as "WO". Are there different types of Forte speakers?

----------------

On 6/12/2005 6:58:04 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i'm not much help, 'cause i have never measured mine ..

but Klipsch say's 8 ohm ..

just look under "product " on this here very site ..

----------------

Thats what is confusing me. The speakers have "Nominal Impedeance: 4 Ohm" written on the rear speaker cup.

Ok, if we take 4 ohms as a minimum ( at tuning point ), with 6 ohms as a nominal figure, 100 watts into 6 ohms, as the maximum you'd want to input, then: Voltage sq/resistance=100.

Therefore, 100 x 6 = 600, square root of 600 being 24.494 volts. 24.49 volts applied across a 6 ohm load = 4.082333 amps.

A regular fuse will blow at 200% of rated current after 2 minutes, I am still searching for information on the characteristics of fast-blow low amperage fuses in 3AG or SFE-20, the most common glass fuses. ( 1/4" x 1 1/4")

From all the information I have read, you need overloads of at least 200% to open even a fast-acting fuse, so I would not recommend any more than 1.5 amps given this information. I would start with a 3/4- 1 amp fuse to be safe.

Apparently Klipsch labeled the Fortes at 4, 6 and 8 ohms, depending on their mood. All of those values are essentially true, since the impedance varies between all of those values. Treating it like a 4 ohm speaker sounds the best to me.

This kinda makes me laugh, since it makes me think about those guys who put $1000 inch-thick power cables on their amp, which then, two inches down in the circuit, runs all the power through a fuse with a filiment that is maybe .25 mm wide.

Hah.