1986 cornwalls in Iowa , final bid, 999.95

tuned4life

ebay item#6780135149. i was watching this auction with much interest. was pretty surprised to see them go for 999.95. i have a pair of 1986 cornwalls that are exactly like those except mine are in mint like new condition. i had offered mine here for 800.00 and no one was interested. i am going to sell my newer version 1986 cornwall's or a pair of 1983 cornwalls with butted corners. im kind of conflicted on which pair to sell. i like the older version but am not crazy about the butted corners. i like the 1986 cornwalls also but not crazy about the fact that the back panels arent removable. any input as to the pro's and cons of older cornwalls and newer version cornwall's would be appreiciated.

"any input as to the pro's and cons of older cornwalls and newer version cornwall's would be appreiciated."

Hoo-boy! each (and all the permutations in between) has their partisans. I have two pair of 86s, i.e. later CW IIs. I had heard the CW Is in the late 70s and after studying the later CW IIs decided that is what I want. The non-removable back makes no difference in practical terms, since the drivers can be removed from the front. The 86 cabinets are better braced, and I think the K79 and K52 tweeters and mids are better than their K77/K55 ancestors. OTOH, the later CWIIs have a very chintzy crossover-it works, but it's not

up to Klipsch standards. The K77/K55 CW Is are also prized for their very close sonic match with other Heritage systems using the same drivers. The theory was you got the same mid and highs with each Heritage, just a smaller dollop of bass as one moved down the line. Not exactly true. The larger baffle of the Cornwalls makes for a smoother transition from bass to midrange than in the Heresy or the LaScalas or Belles, to my ears at least.

Ok, here are a couple of reasons that you didnt get $999 for yours:

1) Local pickup only hurts sales. This cuts down your possible sales dramatically. It is much more difficult to sell when you do not ship.

2) Pictures are important. People want to feel confident that they are getting something that is in good condition, not an old roachy set that have been around the block.

3) Though I tend to trust those that post on the Klipsch forums, good ebay feedback increases the value of your stuff. When someone has taken the time to get 200+ happy sales, then you know they wont want to throw that good rating away by ripping you off.

Of course, making the sale local-pickup-only helps in that respect, but then you go back to my rule #1.

HOWEVER: in your case, I would be willing to not get top dollar to avoid shipping. Since your speakers are in perfect condition, I wouldnt ship them and accept the fact that it will take longer to sell them (or accept less money for them). Especially being Cornwalls. Those are both huge and highly desirable.

Put photos up of them. You will sell them much more quickly.

The '83's are pretty close to the Cornwall to Cornwall II transition period I would almost bet that they have the B-3 networks and the same K-57K driver as the Cornwall II.

While they still maintain the K-77M and the K-33E.

Rework the CII network and insulate the empty/dry cabinet some and they will outperform their predecessors. The K-57K and K-79K are superior drivers and can reach into the 20Khz range. The flush mounted drivers must make some miniscule differences.

thanks for the input. im thinking i should probably just keep them. i only considered parting with them to fiance second pair of la scala's. i was listening to my marantz 2325 receiver with la scala's on the main speaker output and cornwall's on my remote out put. i think the combination sounds better than any setup ive had to date. ive gotten it in my head that i want a second set of la scala's that i can run 4 la scala's and 4 cornwall's on my marantz 4400 4 channel receiver. considering the fact that we dont have much space in our cabin the whole idea is probably insane. what a hobby. its a wonder any of us have any hearing left at all.