KLF-30/KLF-C7 vs RF-7/RC-7

wstrickland1

ooooh , that' s tough one. I've not spent much time with either, but own KLF-C7 and RC7. they're pretty similar, just the timbre of the KLF matched my Cornwalls better.

You know that the RF7 is the latest 'flagship' and the KLF30 is one of the most efficient Klipsch Rock and Roll speakers ever made. I'd say it's pretty much a toss up. You're just changing top of the line from one generation to the next. How much would it cost you to make the change?

Unless you're really itching for the latest and greatest, imho, I'd save my money for upgrades in other areas. Probably have more of an effect.

Michael

If you want MORE performance out of them, upgrade the components in the crossover networks - you will think that you got a new pair of speakers when you do so. The bass response will smooth out and the high end will be more detailed and articulate.

I own KLF-20's & KLF C-7. My 20's were the second to last pair when I bought them from Tweeter. My brother in law bought the last pair, as tweeter was bringing in and demoing the RF-7's. When My friend heard my klf's he decided to switch over to Klipsch, and he bought the Reference setup as there were no KLF's in stock. He is real happy with his RF-7s. I don't think his setup is better than mine, just subtly different, and not enough to notice unless you pay attention. I personally think the KLF's are better for my liking as I picked them over the RF-7's that were being brought in, but I would have no problem picking up a pair of RF's.

I would suggest you listen to the RF7's RC7's and see if they sound better to you. Generally speaking, the KLF's have better mids, and the RF's have more defined low's, but that really depends on what's driving them. Good luck, you can't go wrong with either setup, and like someone mentioned, if the KLF's are not sounding like they used to, maybe a network refresher is in order.

----------------

On 6/14/2005 8:34:28 AM Frzninvt wrote:

If you want MORE performance out of them, upgrade the components in the crossover networks - you will think that you got a new pair of speakers when you do so. The bass response will smooth out and the high end will be more detailed and articulate.

----------------

Where would I get the components? Also, would I change out the center components as well?

Parts Express, Madisound, Mouser, etc. are places to get the components.

Otherwise you can have some of our resident crossover guru's build them up for you. (Contact DeanG or Popbumper (aka Chris Munson) I would absolutely do the center as well! Why improve on the mains without doing the most important speaker - The center!

----------------

On 6/14/2005 9:51:48 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Parts Express, Madisound, Mouser, etc. are places to get the components.

Otherwise you can have some of our resident crossover guru's build them up for you. (Contact DeanG or Popbumper (aka Chris Munson) I would absolutely do the center as well! Why improve on the mains without doing the most important speaker - The center!

----------------

Would you know a specific part number or brand that would be a good choice?

You are going to have to figure out what value of capacitors and coils that you are going to need. A schematic diagram of the KLF-30 & KLF-C7 network would not only be helpful but necessary to update the components on the PCB networks in those speakers.

Your capacitor choices depend on your wallet and how much that you are willing to spend. There are alot of good choices Hovland, Kimber Kaps, Theta AudioCaps, Solen, Jensen PIO's, etc. Use the best parts in the critical HF/MF area, slightly lesser caps are permissable in the LF section.

Also keep in mind some if not all of the replacement parts are going to be bigger in size than the stock parts making it tricky to work them into the stock spots on the PCB based networks. Have fun!

I have the Rf-7 system, Joe Shmoe has the KLF-30 system (although I'm not sure about his surrounds). I stopped by his house last week and listened to his system for a couple of hours and must say that I was quite impressed. My very first impression upon listening was that the midrange of the KLF-30 sounded "liquid." I cannot give an adequate A-B comparison as our source equipment and room layouts are vastly different, but I can tell you that the KLF-30 system is definitely no slouch. I really liked it.

As you think about potential upgrades, I would urge you to put together some demo material-be it a few different cds and dvds or whatnot and listen to them on your system. Get very familiar with that material and how it sounds on your system, then go listen to the RF-7 system.

Good luck!

David