I have to come clean with the forum...

mmiles

I've been using Martin Logan Summits as L/R mains for about four weeks now..

But I still have the RC7 center (at least for a awhile maybe) and RSW5 in walls for surrounds.

I'm seeking forgiveness by the group after being swayed away by the electrostatic tempress from Kansas...

Regards,

mm

Nice speakers!

Allot is to be said for electrostatics! Wonderful transients, delicate nuances. And low distortion as well.

But let's just say they don't do high SPLs or LF well!

And horns seem to be their foil in some ways, as while they share many of the same advantages, they do not do as well when driven at low listening levels. (I can only wait for the objections to this!) But they can do the LF and high SPLs with ease.

So there is a place for both horns and electrostatics!2.gif

But that does seem a mismatch between your Frt R&L and the center channel!2.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2005 10:22:42 AM dragonfyr wrote:

And horns seem to be their foil in some ways, as while they share many of the same advantages, they do not do as well when driven at low listening levels.

----------------

Yes they do, as long as you have good hearing.

"And horns seem to be their foil in some ways, as while they share many of the same advantages, they do not do as well when driven at low listening levels. (I can only wait for the objections to this!) But they can do the LF and high SPLs with ease."

Say What!!! I listen at low levels most of the time and I do not miss any detail or overall response even in the sub-watt range. Where the heck are you doing your listening and when was the last time you had a hearing test?

So far no problem with bottom end since the Summits have 10" powered subs built in.

The imaging, clarity (my son said its like they are pronouncing the words better) and depth of soundstage are awesome when compared to the RF7's... but they should be for the price.

Again there is no problem with SPL for my taste.

I'm thinking about making a 2 channel system with the RF7's or just putting them back in the HT system and using the ML's for the 2 channel. I've listened to more of my old CD's the past month than ever before!

As a far as movies are concerned there is a different "mix" of sound when using the Klipsch center and surrounds but it has not been offensive. After all 80% comes from the middle and a good sub helps bring it home!

Regards,

Mike

mmiles The Timbre will sound better with the ML center channel too.

I will be one to say it, is ok to have different systems in your house for different reasons too. Thats why we do not put usually K horns in say a bedroom. I am sure someone has done it too. For that matter, would you place the sub under the bed if you did for the vibrating bed "magic fingers" effect? LOL

I once strayed from the Klipsch line up in my youth with some Infinity speakers. I know, slap my hand. At that time for me, they were expensive, and they required a lot of power, too, to sound great. I must admit, they did sound pretty good on some material.. But I tired of them, and came back to Klipsch. If you love that 400 horn..(Khorn, La Scala...and especially if you like Live music or live sounding music over recorded bland music.. IMO Klipsch just is an incredible choice in either the K horn or La Scala.) Fall in love with that sound, and nothing else seems to compare.

A lot of people also share that same feeling too.

BTW, Recently Michael and I on our quest from basically Indy to Miami and back for La Scalas... Got to hear a very expensive HT with top of the line I am sure McIntosh speakers that were something like 18,000 a side.. That's what, 36K for just stereo speakers? They sounded great... but...(fill in the blank...and also consider 36k too,,, OUCH!) Add a 14K center channel... I did not see the prices on the surrounds or sub... It was just incredible and expensive.

Personally, I would take the 135 pre amp and the 207 amp seven channels of Mc Sound. That, I am pretty sure with Klipsch Equipment, would sound wonderful!

----------------

On 6/14/2005 10:22:42 AM dragonfyr wrote:

But let's just say they don't do high SPLs or LF well!

----------------

I always thought it was funny that they used Martin Logan's in the movie "The Italian Job". The character played by Seth Green buys a "stereo so loud it will blow woman's clothes off".

I have heard ML's many times, & while I love the sound, they DO NOT go very loud.

I beg to differ on the loud part.

Indy - The best thing I ever heard was a WILSON AUDIO Alexandria with matching surrounds, center channel and sub. Tha package was about $175-$200K in speakers. It was incredible to say the least. To me WILSON is the mach daddy but they are big bucks (sophia - $12K, watt puppy - $23K, maxx 2 - $44K, alexandria - $120K).

I will always say that Klipsch is the best value speaker on the market especially if you can snag some older Cornwalls (I wish I never sold mine), Belles, La Scallas or Klipschorns.

Rudy - I just could not help myself. The sounded awesome. I heard them last year at CES.

Mike:

Just giving you some grief....I applaud that you are enjoying them. Like anything else in life there is always something bigger, better, faster etc. However, when you find something you like, stick with it and enjoy it.

I too have found that bang for the buck, Klipsch Heritage is at the top of the list.

I now have one La Scala, pair of Khorns and four cornwalls for my two channel and HT 7.1 listening. Now I just need a good room to place them in.

I stand by my post, at low listening levels I prefer the ML electrostatics' HF transients and transparency to the stock drivers in the LaScala, Belle or KHorn.

But when cranking up the SPL, the ML just aren't designed to operate as well 'there' and I prefer horns.

Nothing here to debate. It's my preference.

Oh, and I prefer butter pecan over chocolate ice cream too.6.gif9.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2005 10:13:39 AM mmiles wrote:

I've been using Martin Logan Summits as L/R mains for about four weeks now..

I'm seeking forgiveness by the group after being swayed away by the electrostatic tempress from Kansas...

---------------

You are forgiven. I'm impressed with your choice. ML's sound great, don't they?

----------------

On 6/14/2005 4:42:58 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Oh, and I prefer butter pecan over chocolate ice cream too.
6.gif9.gif

----------------

Now I don't take issue over your comment about respective loudness capabilities. But that icecream comment! 6.gif

How can you say that? You are one sick puppy. There is no contest. Chocolate wins everytime!!! 3.gif

A friend of mine moved last week and was selling his ML speakers with a 2 channel Aragon Amp. I was SO tempted, but really like the RF-7's - both alone and in particular in the HT. I really thought about the ML / Aragon for a separate stereo system, but no room - those are damb big speakers!

The ML are extremely nice. From my listening, I would rate them higher than the RF-7's for music, slightly lower for HT (just my ears talking).

Drag - no prob on the loudness issue. To my ear I thought the RF7s had some distortion at high SPL levels (unlike my older Cornwalls that I miss) but again that is my ear.

In regards to icecream my fav is strawberry.

Erwinr - yes they do sound great.

Regards,

Mike