BBE 482i processor

jpm

Seriously, try a BBE 482i. $160 online - whatdoyagot to lose? It makes the 7s sing and finally put a smile on my son's face. This morning with no disc in the cdp I cranked the volume of my preamp with the BBE... with my ear literally on the speaker I could just barely hear the faintest, faintest sound of something like air moving. Not hissing. I mean 2" away from the speaker and nothing... dead *** quiet. That was WITH the BBE hooked up and the volume almost pegged. There's no noise.

I think what he means is that the entire concept behind the device is to add "distortion" to the signal such that there is a percieved increase in the bass. I have no problem believing you can enhance the sound, but I would also just never consider putting it in the signal chain. In fact, I would sooner just remaster my CDs, tweaking whatever toys I had for each individual album instead of trying to find a hodge podge middle that sounds "ok" on everything.

A DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller with Impact Restoration would be a better choice. I sometimes find the BBE processing a bit bright even with the definition control set dead center.

I use mine in the signal chain and it adds no noise or artifacts to my system.

Whatever. Different strokes I guess. Call it what you will, it works for me and that's all I care about in the end. Just thought I'd mention it as another option. Hope I didn't upset the apple cart with blasphemous talk of 'dirty' equipment.

What I find comical is the people that comment about these types of units being dirty or noisy have never actually tried one and are basing their opinions on nothing but heresay.

I like you could care less what the hell they think because I know how the units perform first hand in my system. Enjoy for BBE JPM!

• 2 weeks later...

This Behringer Tube Ultrafex T1954 unit looks interesting. It seems to have teh same features and an adjustable "Tube Warmth" feature.

Only $150

http://www.planetdj.com/expanded_detail.tpl/SKU/T1954

This $129 Behringer T1952 compressor/expander and tube processor looks interesting too:

http://www.behringer.com/T1952/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I am getting a Behringer DEQ2496 equalizer/dac next week and am considering a unit to use with a music server. The DEQ has a dac, but I want tube sound if I can get it. The expander is probably a "1 band" expander (I don't know, but an expander would be nice with todays compressed music) so I am leaning toward the T1952 processor.

Any commnets or suggestions?

Chris

Chris,

I know the Behringer Tube Ultrafex T1954 looks interesting but I tried one in my home and found it didn't really process the signal the way I wanted (too little impact if you wish) and not much of a 'tube sound' (IMO).

I'd pass that one BUT do run a google search on spl. They are a German company, too and produce a number of devices called 'Vitalizer'. If you get their 'Stereo Vitalizer MK2' model you'll be a very happy camper indeed 9.gif .

I know those spl units ARE more expensive but in comparison the Behringer is a mere toy 15.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 6/25/2005 3:03:58 AM dubai2000 wrote:

Chris,

I know the Behringer Tube Ultrafex T1954 looks interesting but I tried one in my home and found it didn't really process the signal the way I wanted (too little impact if you wish) and not much of a 'tube sound' (IMO).

I'd pass that one BUT do run a google search on spl. They are a German company, too and produce a number of devices called 'Vitalizer'. If you get their 'Stereo Vitalizer MK2' model you'll be a very happy camper indeed
9.gif

I know those spl units ARE more expensive but in comparison the Behringer is a mere toy
15.gif

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfgram,

The SPL looks interesting. The information details what it can do in the studio. What will it do in a home system? It didn't seem to have tubes. I stumbled upon the Behringer units while looking at EQ's.

I am interested in building a music server and getting a good sound. I have a Peach, QSC amp (on the way) and will be getting a behringer EQ next week.

EDIT: The SPL Vitalizer tube version looks interesting. Do these remastering devices have any place in a home audio system? Kind of expensive at $900 but has really interesting features.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

yes, the SPL Vitalizer is very useful at home as well. I know purists won't agree, but putting it between source and preamp (or into a tape loop) allows you to tailor the sound to your taste. In that sense it's similar to a complex set of tone controls.

I used to run this in my main system before getting the Behringer EQ mentioned in some other threads. In my opinion it adds a lot of transparency to the sound....plus it's easy to operate so you can adjust the sound for each recording you listen to. When I purchased the EQ the SPL was moved to my second rig and it really improves the sound of my Eico/Heresy combo.

I recall that SPL has a US website as well. Have a look at its manual which is also not really written for home audio use, but it might give you an idea what the unit can do.

Yes, they also have two bigger (and more expensive) units that utilize tubes. An acquaintance has tried those as well but according to his statement the MK2 might actually be the most 'dynamic' of the lot and he believes (and I trust his opinion!) that there is no 'need' to go for the more expensive units (unless your system sounds too harsh). Let me put it this way: I cannot imagine NOT using the SPL, I do not detect any negative ss effects and a neighbour who encountered the unit in my home rushed and got one for himself.

BTW: I got my SPL off ebay. Here in Germany they usually sell for EUR 200 to 250.

EDIT: I just reread your post. If you get the Behringer EQ I believe you shouldn't need the SPL (or any similar device for that matter). Yes, with the SPL it's easier to adjust the sound for each CD/LP, but in comparison an optimized sytem using a mic and the RTA function of the Behringer produces smoother mids and a more balanced performance (if that's what you aim for). Does that mean the SPL cannot compete with the Behringer? Well, it depends. For my main rig I find the Behringer EQ more refined (but noticed that only in direct comparison!), for the Eico/Heresy I do not intend to get a second Behringer, the SPL is more than sufficient (and it's NO compromise even though this is the 'smaller' rig).

Wolfram

EDIT: I just reread your post. If you get the Behringer EQ I believe you shouldn't need the SPL (or any similar device for that matter)...

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfram,

That's quite an endorseemnt for the Behringer DEQ 2496.

I was looking for something to use with a computer sever for music. I thought that the Behringer T1954, or the T1952, with its tube and "warmth adjustment" would be a good addition for the computer. I have an AH! tube CD player and really like the sound.

Anyway, if the SPL or Behringer are not necessary, I will not get one. I'll knwo next week when I get the EQ (the holdup is that I am waiting for the xlr connectors).

Did the Behringer Tube Ultraflex T1954 add "tube warmth" when you used it? If it did, it is worth the $150 (or $129 for the T1952).

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

yes, I believe (and stated this in a thread many moons ago) the money I spent on the Behringer EQ was among the best I invested into my rig. But the SPL comes as clear second 9.gif .

The Ultrafex T 1954 struck as a different matter. I had already listen to the SPL and was hoping to get similar performance out of it (for less money spent). Well, I had a full month to give it a go but it only took me two or three days to decide NOT to buy it. It was meant to be similarly effective, but somehow the changes it managed to produce were rather minor and the so-called tube effect was....kind of a joke....at least in combination with my electronics.

My advice: don't get the T1954 - go for an SPL straight away.

When you get the EQ, DO invest in the mic as well, use the RTA option and try it in your main rig...you might be surprised (and get a second unit for your computer server - and there an SPL might simply be more user friendly).

Wolfram

----------------

On 6/16/2005 7:38:09 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I sometimes find the BBE processing a bit bright even with the definition control set dead center.

----------------

If it works like the plug-in, dead center is NOT no processing (unlike a bass or treble control for example), Zero is. As opposed to a tone control, frequencies are not increased or attenuated (per se), but played around using phase inversion and shifting of the high and low fequency bands. I don't always like the results (agreed, too bright at times), but it does have a way of bringing voices to the foreground. I personally use it most when I am attempting to beef up lower quality internet streamed audio (or low bitrate mp3).

I personally use it most when I am attempting to beef up lower quality internet streamed audio (or low bitrate mp3).

----------------

To all,

So which is better to use for a computer server (yet to be purchased) that may sound harsh. The Behringer DEQ 2496, which I will already own, or the SPL Vitalizer.

From reading about the SPL, it seems like it is more than an EQ, using mathematical algoriths to dertermine the effect.

Chris