DVD players: Sony vs. Denon

oogins

I'm looking at a couple of new DVD players, specifically the Denon DVD-800 and the Sony DVP-NS300. When you look at the specs, they are basically the same. I know Sony has a reputation of making excellent DVD players. And I know Denon makes excellent receivers, and I'm sure their DVD players are of the same quality as well, but their prices tend to be quite high. On paper, the two DVD players are relatively the same. But I'm not sure how well they perform in comparison to each other. So my question is, do Denon's perform well enough to be twice the price as Sony's? Preferably, I would like to have the Denon because it would match my receiver and CD player, but if it's performance isn't better, I would rather get the Sony.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G400 19")

Razor Boomslang 2000 w/Everglide Giganta

These speakers are for my computer, not a HT

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats. + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 mini-sub (soon to be HSU Research VTF-2 or Paradigm PW-2200)

oogins

I have only purchased one REAL DVD player, the Denon DVD-1000. It cost around $400. After using it alot..I'm not sure i can say its worth that kind of $$$$.

The reason that i purchased it in the first place was that i had been using a computer based DVD player and hardware based decoder. While watching movies, i often noticed the Video and audio were not synced properly! This graded on my nerves EVERY TIME, it happend... I wanted to get a player that if it had this trouble..the company would fix it. Also, I was very happy with my Denon reciever and decided to give Denon a shot...

Don't get me wrong, its a nice DVD player. I have never had any problems with it.

I would got to a store that sold Denon, they will defintely have about 20+ other DVD players (due to current popularity) and test out the DVD players and buy the one you like the most. Also be sure they store has a return policy so if you don't like it after more testing...you can take it back!

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

I'd lean towards the Denon. All my HT electonics are Denon except for my VCR, (two different AVR's, CD, DVD) and I love the way Denon builds equipment. I have been very pleased with my DVD-2500 (no longer made) so I haven't been in the market for nearly two years and not sure how Denon/Sony prices match up. I did look at both Sony and Denon when I was purchasing (around Xmas of '99) and like the quality/picture of Denon over the Sony. I would love to get a progressive scan DVD, but until I jump to a different TV, that can wait. BTW, if you go with the PW-2200, you will love that sub...I have it and it does very well with my Forte IIs. Enjoy.

I think I'll go with the Denon. Because I recently decided to buy a progressive scan TV instead of a 480i, I'm going to get the Denon DVD-2800. But looking at the the reviews on this DVD player at audioreview , people aren't rating this player that high (3.52/5 last time I checked). So has anyone here used this player and had any problems?

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Gamer)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Paradigm PW-2200)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-14-2001 at 05:26 PM

Hi

If you are going to purchace a HDTV then I would

strongly suggjest the Panasonic RP91

This player doesn't have the chroma bug and has

a ton of usefull features, Aspect Ratio controll

being one of them.Please follow the link for a

shoot-out on recent progressive DVD Players

Happy Reading

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/dvd-benchmark-progressive-shootout-2-8-2001.html

I gotta agree with Ray on this one. I have had my RP91 for about a month now and I love it. The other feature it has is DVD-Audio if you're into the 5.1 music scene at all. It's going for $481 delivered from www.ecost.com .

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Chorus (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (rears)

Klipsch RS-3's (rear surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

I also have a Denon DVD-1000, but the main reason I chose it over any Sony is that Sonys DO NOT read burned CDs, of which I have zillions. Naturally, I wish I had waited for the progressive scan and the DVD-Audio, but I'm partly glad I got this one. This model was noted for having a lip sync problem, and I read through audioreview.com that Denon had a fix! Cool beans, I said, and whisked my machine off to the store for repair. They told me it would take two weeks. Ack. Oh, well, they loaned me a cheapo Sony, so it was OK. THREE MONTHS later, I get the Denon back. It works perfectly now, no lip sync problems, but sheesh! Three months? Well, who knows if they've resolved the problem company wide, and if there are any new ones coming out with that problem, but my unit works great. I have even purchased a few DVD- Audio discs that can play on regular dvd players, simply because of the painstaking remastering of some classic albums. Even without the ability to play the dvd-a track, the sound quality is vastly superior to a regular cd. Aside from playing burned cds (I have no regular CD player, except from my computer), Denon's audio expertise comes through in their dvd machines, and I think it is superior to the audio on Sony machines.

I didn't know that progressive scan players had this "chroma bug" until you guys told me. Thanks for the warning. The Panasonic RP91 intrigues me, especially with the DVD-Audio feature. Ive been trying to get a DVD-Audio player for a while now, but never had reason to. If RP91 comes with DVD-A thats just icing on the cake. Biggrin.gif So now that Ive been pushed into the world of DVD-A, Im wondering if the Denon DVM-4800 has the chroma bug. If not, I think I will get that player instead.

OY! This is going to make a huge dent in the ol' savings account.cwm36.gif But it will probably be worth it. Biggrin.gif

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Gamer)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Paradigm PW-2200)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-14-2001 at 10:46 PM

Sony VS Denon

Interesting,I take the Sony ES DVD against any Denon DVD.Its a better value.

But if you want a real High-End DVD payer(and much more)then I can recomend the real superhero of DVD payers the Pioneer DV-AX10.This will dent the bank account for sure.

The costruction quality,components quality and above all the SOUND AND IMAGE quality are class leading.The true reference standard DVD player and great as an audio CD player.

About 5 grand!

TheEAR(s) Now theears