Starting from scratch with R7s, need advise!

Mavicator

So I've decided to take the leap into a set of R-7s. My Denon 1803 doesn't seem to be a good choice, so what would you guys recommend to replace it? The setup will be 6.1 as the room will never allow for 7.1. :( The system will be used for 75% movies / tv and 25% music.

I chose the 1803 over Onkyo and Yamaha because it had the most natural sound. The Yamaha was too bright and the Onkyo just a bit too crisp in the highs and not enough clarity in the rest for my taste.

I'm hoping to not spend over $1500 but I also want to make sure I get something I won't have to replace for a very long time. Also, loudness is not that important but sound quality is! Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Speakers: RF7x2, RC7, RS7x2, RB75

What's do you feel is wrong sounding with the Denon that you want to change? Sounds to me like you have acoustical issues and not electrical ones (ie, the reciever isn't the biggest culprit here). You are running everything in direct mode without any of the EQ going on right?

Oh, I love the way my Denon sounds! But it's currently on an old Infinity satellite system and I'm upgrading to R-7s all around. From what I've read here, my Denon is not appropriate for these speakers so I'm just looking for the best solution to this, whether it's adding an amp, buying seperates or replacing with another AVR. The simplicity of the AVR is good because my wife hates "all those d*mn remotes"! :)

As mentioned before, use the Denon as pre/pro and buy a 3 channels amp. Then, if you don't like the sound then you can keep the amp and invest in a real pre/pro.

The Aragon 2005 (200W/CH-8Ohms, 300W-4Ohms, 3 channels driven) is an excellent amp for the price.

Thanks guys. One quick question... my local audio place seems to think that my Denon 1803 will be fine for these speakers as long as I'm not out for loudness. Does this seem right? I guess I'm not quite sure how watts relates to an amp's capabilities. If I'm at 50% volume, does that mean a 100W amp is putting out 50 watts? I really don't plan to crank the volume up since my neighbors would be beating down my door. :(

Mav,

Japanese receivers are designed to run true 8 ohm speakers which might have a minimum impedance of 4 ohms. The RF-7s have a minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms and in the lower frequencies are typically between 3 and 4 ohms. This is way too difficult for a receiver to do well.

Low impedance loads in the bass frequencies require large amounts of current that a receiver cannot usually produce. A separate amp is needed for the front three speakers IMO to handle the current requirements of the Rx-7 series.

Your Denon could act as a processor for a separate amp, if it does not produce too much hiss.

Bill

It sounds like all you need to do is get the 7s(great choice and Congrats)then try the 1803 and see how it sounds.The Denon is good unit but as has been mentioned the amps are a little weak for demanding passages.Try not to get to hung up on watts,the real test is quality of watts,then the more the better,imo.You're much better off with 75 watts of quality power than 120 watt rating that is bogus in more ways than one.

The main point is the pre/pro section of an AVR.Its very critical that this area has been well designed,thought out,and well implemented with quality parts.This is what you're really gonna hear.So an AVR with solid power(even if its lower watts) and a pre/pro section that sounds best to you're ears is all that matters,you can always add an amp.

You guys rock! I'm learning a lot from this forum. Can I assume that if I like the sound of my 1803 then it doesn't matter what type of amp I add so long as it's good quality? In other words different stand-alone amps will sound similar? Or am I showing my ignorance again in which case I will be asking which amp compliments the sound of the Denon best? :)