Show Us Your Klipsch Heritage Speakers

MacKlipsch

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

If you were here I would kick you in the butt. Looking at those nice pictures of yours reminded me of the EV Patrician that I wanted to try out.

Today I took down the LaScalas that sit on top of my K-horns ( something I hate to do), and pulled the K-horns out of the corners. My intent was to install AL's networks in the K-horns, but I kept thinking of your pictures, so I decided to use AL's networks for a Patrician build. So I just stiffened up the falce corners & screwed them to the adjacent walls & wall unit. I was getting a slapping sound when they vibrated againts the side walls & wall unit. I even had to renail the base board that loosened up & was vibrating againts the walls. So all was not lost.

I dug out some Patrician plans that Gil sent me a while back & I'm now comparing them to the K-horn plans. The Patrician is a 4-way, but I'll config a 3-way. I'm starting to look for an 18" woofer with similar paramters to the K-33-E woofer. If anyone can help me find one , I would appreciate it.

The K-33-E T/S parrramters are.

Znom = 4 ohms

Revc = 3.5 ohms

Levc =1.00 mh

FS = 27 Hz

SPLo = 92.3db

SPLi = 91.13db

Vas = 12.1130 cu ft.

Qts = 0.633

Qes = 0.684

Qms = 8.500

BL = 9.77 TM

Cms = 305 um/n

Xmas = 4.000mm

John, those squawkers of yours sound interesting.

Guy,

The Patrician is said to be solid down to 25 Hz. The bass horn is a copy of the K-horn , but 16% larger.

Q.

Q-man, My Patrician plans came from Oct 1955 Audio magazine article written by Roy Allison. Very well detailed and includes a step by step procedure. I built the unit detailed in the article and used EV 18WK bass drivers, no decorator cabinet, utility look only. If you have different plans, lets copy and swap. Send me address off-line, I'll reply.

Regarding construction, It is my opinion that the Patrician per the Audio mag plans is easier to build than the K-horn per factory plans. Also, high end roll-off of the Patrician starts around 250Hz, 3-way will leave a hole in the response unless you go horn loaded cone for mid-bass. LaScala atop Patrican folded unit?

John,

I didn't realize the hign end roll-off of Patrician bass horn is only 250Hz . My plans say nothing about that. They do say it's crossover is at 200Hz . I was thinking that do to the woofer limitations, not the cabinet. The Patrician horn is so similar to the Klipschorn I assumed the cabinets high end roll-off would be more like the 400 Hz of the Klipschorn. So, this build won't be the one to use Al's networks in.

Thanks for the info., Q.

I'll be in touch.

John,

I didn't realize the hign end roll-off of Patrician bass horn is only 250Hz . My plans say nothing about that. They do say it's crossover is at 200Hz . I was thinking that do to the woofer limitations, not the cabinet. The Patrician horn is so similar to the Klipschorn I assumed the cabinets high end roll-off would be more like the 400 Hz of the Klipschorn. So, this build won't be the one to use Al's networks in.

Thanks for the info., Q.

I'll be in touch.

Hi Guys,

Ok.. I am joing the party! I have just set up a personal web site with my stereo equipment on it. You should be able to see it using the little house icon at the top of my posts. The site is not complete, only the pictures are there. They are very poor ones too. They were taken with one of those $6 throw-away cameras!

Al K.

Charlie,

I have the LF-10 connected line input from the equalizer and line out to the center channel spliter box. I found it very hard to remove the interaction around the crossover at 100 Hz. The filter slope in the LF-10 is only 6 db / Octave. I don't think that's a steep enough slope. I plan to design and build an external active crossover and use the LFE input instead.

I am able to get good response clear down to 20 Hz with it using the bass boost of the Mq104 equalizer. I like the LF-10 so far! I have only had it for about a week though. I got it off eBay.

Al K.

quote:

Originally posted by Seb:

john, AMAZING WORK!!

have you ever considered selling some of those?

if so, i'd be VERY interested...

where do you live?

Seb, so you're finally seriously thinking about buying some big klipsches?? Great! now we'll be able to sing "il est des no-o-tres, il a bu son verre comme les au-au-tres!!" (stupid student song, don't think you sing that in Quebec...)

regards, Frans

Q,

Good one.....I tried to bid $25 on that cup with a cap of $50, but the friggin thing just registered the $50 bid???? Not worth the hassle to try to cancel it...Why don't you bid $51 and get me off the hook? If I end up spending $50 for that cup, I'm planning on taking it on tour like the Stanley Cup...LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm:

Just Heresys and subwoofer:

1966 with EV woofers, Type C network

1972 with CTS woofer, Type C

1974 different CTS woofer, Type E

1978 Eminence woofer, Type E

Decware WO32 subwoofer

All in various stages of being veneered with Narra, trimmed with Teak and covered with cane grills.

This Deckware WO32 sub looks cool!! could you tell us more about it?? Thanks!!

Frans

Hey Malcolm, start another thread and tell us about the electronics behind your system...for example, how are you driving the decware subs? I have the plans for that same sub, how hards did you find it to build? the instructions, I find, leave a little to be desired...regards, tony

• 3 weeks later...