When did the K401 horn replace the K400 horn?

bhendrix

I am considering selling or trading my K-Horns for some LaScala's to convert to CornScala's. When did Klipsch start making the K401? Is the 401 used in the LaScala? If so, when did that begin? It seems to me that starting with the 401 would elliminate the need for caulking the horn.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

You are correct that the K-401 eliminates the need for damping the horn.

Also, I've heard the Cornscalas and they sound fabulous, don't think they surpass Khorns, though. Conveventional wisdom would commend keeping the Khorns and check out the Cornscalas before ditching the Khorns. IMO. (which I offer shamlessly)2.gif

The Cornscalas would make for a very satisfying DIY project, but not likely to have much WAF.

One possibility to have your cake and eat it too... you could take your Khorn drivers out, drop them in a Cornscala cab and see how you like the sound.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 1:11:04 PM Hardhead wrote:

Paul Klipsch said flush mounting the horns didn't make any difference in the sound, but what did he know about his speakers compared to David Bardes?----------------

Gee, I don't know, But in this case Bardes is correct.

And in 1976 and 1977 we had discussions with Paul, et. al., regarding sound reinforcement systems and he maintained that the aluminum horn was not signifcantly resonant either. Of course they were experimenting with fiberglass horns (which also rang for days!) then too!

I suspect he knew all to well! Neither resonance nor diffraction were a secret. And there was significant dissention among the ranks over this issue!

So let's keep the 'worship' within proper perspectives!

Everyone needs to consider the fact that PWK was SELLING these things, and OF COURSE, he wasn't going to admit any previous "shortcuts" that were made; he DID update and make improvements, the front mounting of HF horns being one.

Note that in 1959 the electrical phase of the internal wiring was "fixed". Up until then, nobody noticed?

DM2.gif

----------------

On 6/20/2005 1:58:01 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

On 6/20/2005 1:11:04 PM Hardhead wrote:

Paul Klipsch said flush mounting the horns didn't make any difference in the sound, but what did he know about his speakers compared to David Bardes?----------------

Gee, I don't know, But in this case Bardes is correct.

And in 1976 and 1977 we had discussions with Paul, et. al., regarding sound reinforcement systems and he maintained that the aluminum horn was not signifcantly resonant either. Of course they were experimenting with fiberglass horns (which also rang for days!) then too!

I suspect he knew all to well! Neither resonance nor diffraction were a secret. And there was significant dissention among the ranks over this issue!

So let's keep the 'worship' within proper perspectives!

----------------

And let me guess, you are the guy to tell us what "Proper perspectives" is.

Do even own khorns, or any of the heritage line?

As someone who spends a great deal of time listening to them, I can tell you that the proper amount of "worship" is rarely displayed IMHO.

You pontificate on subjects ranging from, law, room acoustics, politics, religion, and many more, now you want to police "the proper amount of worship".

Here is a news flash for you. You are on a KLIPSCH owned site. There is bound to be a staggering amount of "worship" as you say. The PWK design and build makes me happy every day. Maybe I did not see that YOU were appointed the "worship" police.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 2:32:40 PM bhendrix wrote:

He loves it Roy!!! Your KV-2 is what has made him realize how much better things can sound than the little Quintets. So, I guess it's your fault that he now wants 5.5's!!
9.gif

Your KV-2 has blessed us. Thank you!!

Bill

----------------

Lol...... My Fault.........

Dear old dad has khorns. That makes everything else seem rather small sounding.

You have to be proud that he is a Klipsch fan. I am a second generatin fan, and yes, it was dads fault.

Enjoy,

Roy

Yes, Roy, I've been a Klipsch fan since the early '70's when I worked for the largest Klipsch dealer in the country. I installed several sets of double-stacked K-Horns and LaScala's in discos, way back when. We used to use 8 LaScala's on a side (16 total) with Crown amps to do PA work for bands at universities and concerts. We also had the first pair of MCM1900's.

What a treat it was when Paul W. came to visit on many occasions.

I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 2:49:14 PM bhendrix wrote:

Yes, Roy, I've been a Klipsch fan since the early '70's when I worked for the largest Klipsch dealer in the country. I installed several sets of double-stacked K-Horns and LaScala's in discos, way back when. We used to use 8 LaScala's on a side (16 total) with Crown amps to do PA work for bands at universities and concerts. We also had the first pair of MCM1900's.

What a treat it was when Paul W. came to visit on many occasions.

I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

----------------

When you say double stacked. Are you taliking bottom sitting on top, or top to top. Just wondering, never thought about it, but it's intersting. My wife my not be happy. lol

The K77 does sound better flush mounted. The 3/4 plywood does deflect the HF waves. The K400 and 401, does not matter. The langer waves are not effected by the plywood thickness.

As for the 400-401. I have met several people who are maximum hornheads (way over anything I know) that swear a dampened 400 sounds better than the 401. Then again, one guy in particular later replaced the 400 horn with a large round wood salid bowl looking horn.

JM

----------------

On 6/20/2005 2:04:41 PM bhendrix wrote:

Interesting thought Daddy Dee. My challenge is finding good corners in the rooms where momma has permitted KHorn use.
;)

----------------

Bill,

I hear where you are coming from. I had a chance to listen to Khorns in Mr. Paul's living room and he had false corners built for his Khorns. There are a number of threads on the forum with folks having built these which are an excellent solution to the corner issue. Also, just noticed someone posting some pics of some magnificent looking "true corners" which turn out to look similar to the Jubilee. Most attractive solution.