Hybrid K-Horns

bluesboy

I finally got my speakers finished.The bass horn is constructed from 1/2 inch MDF. Pictures of the bass horn construction are posted on an earlier thread titled Cornerhorn Project.The removable front raised panel as well as the top horn section made from solid 3/4 inch Purpleheart. Purpleheart is a South American hardwood.I used new K-33woofers purchased from Bob Crites. The mid range horns are Altec 511b's dampened with asphalt sheets from Parts Express.The Atlas mid range drivers also came from Bob Crites. The tweeters are Beyma CP-25's. The ALK Engineering designed crossovers are home made. The rest of the components in my system are as follows: McIntosh 2205 amp,McIntosh C-26 pre-amp,Micro-Seiki DD-40 TT with Grado Reference Master,Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel and a Teac A-3300 SX reel to reel.

post-15074-1381926667012_thumb.jpg

AL,

Thanks for the reply. I think the reason the thread didn't get very many responses was because the pictures didn't turn out very good. I'm going to try and take some more that show better detail. One of the reasons I'm displaying the horns is because I couldn't come up with a satisfactory design for a grill frame that wouldn't restrict the sound. Besides, I decided I liked the look of the horns exposed too.

Wolfram

The design of the bass bin is exactly the same as the stock K-Horn. The only difference is the front panel, which is made of solid hardwood instead of just the plain plywood panel. Also, the front panel is removable so that it can be shipped separately from the bass bin to protect it from damage. The top horn enclosure is also removable. As far as the turntable is concerned I suspended it out of necessity because the floor bounces so bad that it was making records skip when we were trying to tape them.

Bluesboy,

I was indeed thinking of the front panel....should have expressed myself more clearly 16.gif . I used to have a similar TT problem in my old flat and definitely prefer concrete floors 9.gif .

I am looking forward to more pics. Thanks for sharing though.

Wolfram

sunnysal,

I was planning on using Altec 902 drivers but after reading what Al K said about the chance of blowing the phase plugs out of them crossed at 400hz I opted for the Atlas drivers. I still have the 902s so I guess I could still try them in the K-Horns but I think I'll save them for my next project a set of Belles.

bluesboy

Guy's

The mid range drivers are Atlas PD-5VH. According to Bob Crites they are the same driver as the K-55.Anyway after tinkering with different settings on the auto-former they sound fantastic. The high end is defenently better than the first set of K-Horns I built using K-401 horns and T-35 tweeters. Now if I just had a bigger house to put them in I'd be all set!

• 4 weeks later...

J.4knee

It's the Selenium ADF-23 horn lens adapter from Parts Express. The part number is 264-322. Bear in mind you can't use either of the two exsisting holes in Altec horn . You need to clamp the adapter to the horn flange and drill three new holes.

Don

pretty cool. nothing like having exactly what you want. :) I've been casting eyes on that purple heart stuff at the local hardwood shyster. Are yours really as dark as they look in the pics? did you use any stain? and, have you heard anything about the purple heart losing it's color over time? I've a couple references to that out on the net, but you're liable to hear anything if you look long enough. Apparently you weren't too concerned about it.