Guitar through speakers

Btw, if I may get on my soapbox now I'd like to mention that every guitar player should have their OWN direct box if they ever do live shows. I can't stand guitar players that just show up and expect the sound guy to magically always provide a DI box or have the perfect mic available for mic'ing their overdriven crap amps. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about protecting the musicality of the performer and helping them get their sound out to the audience, but there are just so many times where a direct feed from the amp's line-level-out into the PA just sounds infinetly better and it's easier to setup. If you've got a nice rig and can justify mic'ing your cabinet, then it's your responsibility to carry around your own mic + stand too, or at least to clear things ahead of time with the sound guy. Ahead of time meaning at least a day before the show to give me time to go through my bag of toys.

Ok, sorry for preaching not on sunday. I'll get off me soapbox now.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my teen years I used to plug my guitar into the 1/4" mike in jacks on my cassette player, set the level to avoid any peaking and punch record and play that way...fryed a pair of Infinity floorstanding speakers that way...these days when I cannot use my main guitar amps (peavy and mesa) I plug into a pignose battery powered amp...I would not plug my guitars into my hifi speakers...tony

I'll add the caveat of "Industrial strength" speakers like the LS, Belle, and Khorn are all very capable of handling an electric guitar at ear-peaircing levels without any problems. Also any speakers used for PA work, etc., are also fine for instrument use.

No, the harmonics WON'T blow them up, and neither will the bass (if any). Like I said the range of a guitar is too limited.

Now, little hi-fi speakers are another thing and many of those little cones have been fried because of overdriving.

DM2.gif

• 2 years later...

Hello, and sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have a similar question. I have a pair of KP-480s and a pair of LaScala Pros that I power with a DBX BX1 amp. I was wondering if it would be safe if I played my guitar through them via a POD xt Live http://line6.com/podxtlive .

Guitar -> POD xt via Line out -> BX1 -> Speakers

Shouldn't hurt anything right, and should sound decent too with the PODs simulated amps and such to 'dirty' up the sound?

My vote is plug guitar into fuzz box and compressor. Replace 9 volt battery with 12 volt marine battery. Plug ye ole faithful axe into receiver. Turn speakers off. Place headphones on ears and get ready. Put on rubber flipflops. Begin jam and enjoy feedback squeals. When hair starts smoldering dump 1/4 can of beer on head. Drink 3/4 can to prevent beer from warming. Repeat process to avoid actual flames from headphones. Try to keep beer out of receiver. Try to keep OSHA out of jam room. When beer is gone, remove headphones, recharge battery and make beer run. Repeat process.

Beer can be used, if required to reduce any visible flames in receiver.

Why??????????

There are a zillion better configured small practice amps (and I mean small, designed simply for practice in the ~$60 price range) such as the Marshall MG10CD for about $75.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG10CD

or the Marshall MS2 for about $45...

as well as a plethora of headphone amps designed for guitar practice such as the Rockman Metal Ace Headphone Amp

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DAVROCKMA

Why??????????

Why not? Will it not work? The only reason I am able to infer from your reply is that there are cheaper paths.. Money doesn't really matter, I don't mind spending the 400 on the POD... And if the money did matter I would rather spend the money and get something that covers all my future bases instead of buying a practice amp, a headphone amp, plus more pedals + a head and cabinet if I want more than a practice setup....

I made no mention of my current gear, my intended uses, or my budget and would just like a yes/no as to whether this will work well and be perfectly safe for my speakers, and a reason that it would not work if that be the case.

Will it not work?
Yup, can do

Will work well?
Won't sound right is my experience, POD or not. The POD will make it sound so different you may like it. Try it.

And be perfectly safe for my speakers?
Therein lies the problem. You can trash the speakers, so it isn't "perfectly safe." I do it at low volumes sometimes, but MAS is right ... why risk it when there are so many cheap options. Can plug headphones into POD. Maybe I missed your point.

POD is nice tho.

Look, using your home speakers, and especially your ProMedia whatevers are not optimal. Period.

There are plenty of reasons why an entire industry has grown up for MI speakers despite the fact that almost everyone has a home stereo.

But then you

made no mention of my current gear, my intended uses, or my budget and would just like a yes/no as to whether this will work well and be perfectly safe for my speakers, and a reason that it would not work if that be the case.

And since you provide so little pertinent info and yet you demand a yes/ no answer after reading the info already posted.

The answer is YES you CAN do it. Is it optimal or smart or "perfectly safe for your speakers?" No.

And no, I am not going to try to provide some in depth analytical treatise regarding why or why not.

The fact that the answer has already been provided umpteen times in this thread , and as it wasn't sufficient then, why do I get the feeling it won't be now.

Now, all we need is for someone to ask if their old Advent speakers are suitable for use with guitar...

[*-)]

Look, using your home speakers, and especially your ProMedia whatevers are not optimal. Period.

ProMedia? KP-480 and LaScala Pros are from the Klipsch Pro line, which I thought, was intended for PA and live music

Here's a picture http://www.daeds.net/Images/CIMG0007.JPG to help clarify. Hardly "old Advent speakers".

And since you provide so little pertinent info and yet you demand a yes/ no answer after reading the info already posted.

I gave you the information required to give only a yes/no. I listed the equipment I planned to use, and how I planned to tie it all together.

the answer has already been provided umpteen times in this thread

This thread is mostly about plugging your guitar straight into a receiver. Only once was a guitar preamp mentioned and the results were not quite clear to me, that is why is revived this thread.

Yes it will work, and you will get the guitar eq and various tones out of the pod.

Most pickups have no high end, so plugged into regular stereos, sound very rolled off. Guitar amps have quite a lot of high end boost to get the treble back. Most passive pickups have less that one volt output, bass pickups can be higher.

(Advents would die a quick and well deserved death)

Well people have thought long and hard about your question and given their all to provide you with some guidance. Still at the end of the day it all comes down to the decision you make. They cant live your life for you, only you can. This is a moment of growth for you and you need to face head on. So whats it gonna be? Play it safe or live on the edge and face any possible consequences?

btw it won't work.

Some interesting characters on this forum, [;)] and widely differing opinions.

[:D] I'm not getting married or anything, just hooking up gear. Of course I'm going to try it, I'll be able to hear pretty quickly if the speakers are coming to harm, and the worst that could happen is I blow a couple fuses or have to drop a new diaphragm into something. It's only money.

Why won't it work?

It seems like it would work fine. The preamp would shape the sound and convert the guitar signal to a line signal, the amp would power that signal. The speakers are more than capable of reproducing anything the guitar could produce. Is there something I am missing? Possibility of square waves? Sudden shifts in volume?

Would love a technical explanation if possible, or is it just the way it will sound? This thread and the replys keep making me swap back and forth, it will work, it won't, it will work, it won't....

I would go for without a second thought. The POD is going to work with the power amp just fine. You are right that the POD will shape the guitar signal, and feed it as a line level signal to your power amp. Not reallly much different than feeding a PA through a direct box and mixer to a PA. I've done the same with a Rocktron Distortion Generator into some JBL monitors (w/6 inch woofers), and my lap steel sounded pretty rockin. The performance was another story. [;)]