Differences between K55-V, K55-M and K55-X

I read in another thread about there being different versions of the K55 and I was just wondering if anyone could give a brief description of the differences between each. I have read about the two versions of the K55-V with the different phase plugs, but I couldn't find anything comparing and contrasting the V, M and X.

2ndGen, are you planning to place a 55 in something, and if so, what? I know that the X is a little less efficient, but the new x-overs in the new speakers takes that into account. Check these threads:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=33293&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={27506056-FDE7-4AF1-A423-45923A7DD621}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=29771&forumID=66&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={27506056-FDE7-4AF1-A423-45923A7DD621}

Paul

This all started when I saw 2 pairs of K-55V's on eBay (currently still there) and was wondering which variety of the K-55 I had in my Belles so I started doing some reasearch. In doing my research I saw mention of the other varieties of the K-55 so I was wondering what the differences are. Thanks for the links...they pretty much answered my question.

The following drivers are identical: The old K-55-V with spring loaded terminals, the K-55-X, and the current Atlas PD5-VH. All three use the single port phasing plug.

The later K-55-V with soldered terminals (Alnico magnet), K-51-V (ceramic magnet), and K-55-M (ceramic magnet) have the dual phasing plug. I would consider these three drivers the better drivers, having responses out to 6kHz (as opposed to less than 5kHz).

The last character in the model numbers designates the vendor (vendor code). The 'V' is the designation for Atlas (which makes the K-51-V the ceramic magnet version of the K-55-V with soldered terminals). The dual port K-55-V and K-51-V are identical with the exception of the magnet material. When Electrovoice presented their own dual port phase plug ceramic version, the Atlas K-51-V was dropped by Klipsch, and they went with the new Electrovoice driver, designating it the K-55-M. You will also see 'H' drivers which were manufactured by Hepner, and 'K' drivers, which were manufacured by Klipsch in-house on Hepner tooling -- which they bought and moved to Hope after Mr. Hepner passed away.

The current 'X' designation is the new vendor code for Altas, which was probably chosen to distinguish it from the older K-55-V models.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 11:15:31 AM DeanG wrote:

The following drivers are identical: The old K-55-V with spring loaded terminals, the K-55-X, and the current Atlas PD5-VH. All three use the single port phasing plug.

The later K-55-V with soldered terminals (Alnico magnet), K-51-V (ceramic magnet), and K-55-M (ceramic magnet) have the dual phasing plug. I would consider these three drivers the better drivers, having responses out to 6kHz (as opposed to less than 5kHz).

The last character in the model numbers designates the vendor (vendor code). The 'V' is the designation for Atlas (which makes the K-51-V the ceramic magnet version of the K-55-V with soldered terminals). The dual port K-55-V and K-51-V are identical with the exception of the magnet material. When Electrovoice presented their own dual port phase plug ceramic version, the Atlas K-51-V was dropped by Klipsch, and they went with the new Electrovoice driver, designating it the K-55-M. You will also see 'H' drivers which were manufactured by Hepner, and 'K' drivers, which were manufacured by Klipsch in-house on Hepner tooling -- which they bought and moved to Hope after Mr. Hepner passed away.

The current 'X' designation is the new vendor code for Altas, which was probably chosen to distinguish it from the older K-55-V models.

----------------

Dean,

Glad you tied this all up in one post. Been meaning to do that myself. This summary is the result of the work of several forum members and deserves a place in the Forum FAQ (if we had one).

Bob Crites

Yeah, Dean, thanks.

I remember about a year and a half ago someone was trying to sell some new solder terminal Atlas PD5-VH's on e-Bay. This guy was claiming that because these drivers had solder terminals the sound was "identical" or "indistinguishable," or whatever similar word he used, to the solder terminal K-55-V's.

I knew the new PD5-VH's had the one-port phase plug instead of the two-port on the solder terminal K-55-V's, and the seller either didn't know what he was talking about or was being less than truthful to get rid of the drivers.