Klipsch KG 5.5

pie5555

Ian, I recently upgraded to some used KG 5.5's from my KG 3.5's and absolutely love them. Very clear and crisp and lots of bass. I don't think there is a better speaker for the money (since you can get these used for about $300-$400).

And I use a KV-3 for the center which matches perfectly. A KV-2 would also work well. I would stick with the KV series so your front line-up will be matched. You can find KV centers on ebay all the time.

If you're looking at surrounds most would recommend something from the same KG line anywhere from matching 5.5's to 2.5 bookshelves, but I wanted wall mounted surrounds so I talked to Klipsch and they recommended the SS series surrounds for a good match and now I have the SS-3's which sound terrific.

Don't hesitate on the 5.5's, you'll love 'em.

I bought a pair of KG 5.5s brand new in 1997. They are truly great speakers especially for the price. I just got a KV-3 a few months ago and it matches quite well with the 5.5s. I'm sure that a KG 2.2v or a 2.5v would work out as well. There never was a center specifically designed to match the KG 5.5s.

Olorin is not quite right about the KVs but JTA is. The KV-4 was made to match the CF series, but the other three KV models were made to match the KG series. All that being said, I had a KV-3 with my KG-5.5s and it worked okay, but if you want to TRUE matching centering I suggest you get some KG5.5 parts and build/modify one. If myself didn't want my center to be so tall so I used four 6.5" Klipsch woofers instead (since they have aprrox. the same effective cone area of the two 10" woofers) along with a mathcing KG-5.5 horn tweeter. Here is a picture of my creation:

klipsch_center.jpg

For the matching center, I would go for the KG2.5. If you are tight on space I would use another pair for the surrounds in a 5.1 rig. The KG2.5 also has a lower frequency limit (50Hz compared to 75Hz for the KV-2), which will also let you go with a lower crossover setting for your sub.

I have to disagree about the KV-2. I don't think they are a good match for the KG5.5s, at least that's what my ears tell me. I used a KV-2 for years as my center, but felt it was lacking. After replacing an old pair of Yamaha speakers I was using for the surrounds with another pair of KG5.5s, the KV-2 really stuck out like a sore thumb.

I would go for the KG2.5s or build your own custom center like STL and me have done with our systems.

Klipsch made a KG-2.5V version that was shieled. Or if one might be able to order bucking magnets from Klipsch and shield a non-V version. But seriously, are people still using tube televisions in HT anymore? 3.gif

According the Klipsch's website (see http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=178 ) the KV-3 is considered to match the KG-5.5s. As I said before, I wasn't really happy with mine but I believe that was due to the fact the speaker's smaller drivers (all around) just couldn't "keep up" with ym towers -- and I don't think a KG-2.5V would be any better since none of it's drivers are any larger (than what the KV-3 uses).

STL, are you doggin' my 27" mitsubishi tube? Sure, it takes 5 minutes for it to warm up and get a picture, but the wood grain enclosure is SWEEEEET.

Seriously, I think a lot of people still have their tubes running. I would like to get a plasma sometime soon but as long as I have good sound, the picture is not nearly as important to me, so my money goes into audio + the million other expenses I have.

jlukins,

I still have CRTs too -- just not in my HT. 10.gif Why do you want a plasma anyhow? I think they're the most over-rated (and thus overly pricey) TVs on the market -- yet so many people think they are the "best". Perhaps you should take a look at DLPs, rear-projection LCDs, and even the tried-and-true regular (CRT-based) RPTVs. That latter is likely the best bang for the buck but also is the most bulky. You might find you could afford a nice HDTV now if stop focusing on plasmas. 1.gif

STL,

not to get too far off topic but no way would I put my hard earned money into a projection LCD or DLP. For me, the picture on a plasma is so much better. It reminds me of bigscreen projection TV's of yesterday. Yeah Frank, you got a big picture but it looks like sh#@. And if you know where to look you can get a good plasma for not much more than a similar DLP.

But like I said, the sound is more important to me than the picture so I'll wait until plasmas are more reasonable.

I agree that DLP and rear-projection LCDs aren't "there yet" in PQ, but I only mentioned them in case you were space challenged. While a regular CRT-based RPTV might not have the best PQ out of the box, with a little tweaking I still believe the produce the best picture of all. To top it off they are relatively cheap (when it comes to HDTV pricing), but you have to have the space for them.

JTA and STL -- I stand corrected.

jlukin -- Too bad you're not in California. You could come to my house, see a properly calibrated CRT RPTV, and revise your opinion about their fecality.

Does a plasma look better? I'm sure there are plasma sets capable of looking much better than my RPTV does. Do they look thousands of dollars better? No freaking way.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 10:19:07 AM jlukins wrote:

Yesfan,

what about sheilding. The KV-2 and 3 are magnetically sheilded. If you put a kg2.5 on top of a tv you start to run into problems with interference, right?

----------------

I don't think that would be too much of a problem if you are using a RPTV as opposed to a direct view set like a 27" to 32" size television. The CRT guns will be midway, center and toward the bottom of a RPTV's cabinet. I have a Pioneer 60"er, and I have had my KG5.5 almost right against it and had no problems.

If piece of mind is a concern, you could always try to get the KG2.5V. It is the same speaker, but video sheilded.