Anyone running their Wide Dispersion Surrounds tilted?

Firme

I am moving my HT setup into a new house soon, and was laying out my 5.1 surround setup. I have Wide Dispersion Surrounds that will get mounted 7 ft up on the side walls 90°s from the sitting position.

I was wondering, if anyone has mounted their WDS/Dipole surround tilted down, with the woofer in the middle pointing the seating position? It seems, even with the Dipole, this would give a more direct sound than the traditional flat on the wall mouting.

thoughts? experience?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes i did,i tilted them forward about 45 degrees. I made a metal bracket with 2 bolts sticking out and just hung on the keyholes on the rear of the speaker. Mine are on the rear wall should sound better though.

They sound much more direct, I think i like it better like this. More direct but you also still get wide dispersion just not quite as all over the place. Kind of hard to explain.

The speakers are ss1 the bracket looks like a upsidedown T with the long side of the T bent to any angle you need. The top part of the T the short side has two holes drilled and just screw to wall then just mount speaker on the two bolts .

I think when i switch these out for forte lls to match the front i will put the the fortes hanging about the same way in the rear. The brackets will have to quite a bit different maybe holding a shelf, never got that far yet.

----------------

On 6/27/2005 1:19:58 PM dtel wrote:

They sound much more direct, I think i like it better like this. More direct but you also still get wide dispersion just not quite as all over the place. Kind of hard to explain.

----------------

Excellant, I am looking for a more direct sound, as I don't like having the sound everywhere and over blended. I have the SS-1's mounted almost 6' up right now in a small room, and they almost blend too much with the front. I stood up and got ear level with them to see what it sounds like, and liked it much better than hearin them while seated below them.

I am going to have to do some rigging as the right side will be mounted to the wall angled down (7'ft wall), while the left side will be danglinge 2' from the ceiling and then angled down(9' ft raised ceiling raised from the other side). Frankly I am scared of the room acoustics since this will be an all tiled room as well, with one wall half open to another room, and the back wall all open to the living room. 14.gif

I am mounting them on the side, because if I can get ahold of a 7.1 receiver for a good price, I will be hanging some angled bookshelfs from the back.

----------------

On 6/27/2005 1:31:47 PM Mavicator wrote:

I have to mount mine exactly the same way, 7' up. I'm planning to angle them down about 15-20 degrees. Hope this doesn't ruin the effect!

----------------

I guess it depends on whether you want to have some direction as to where the sound is coming from, or if you like it to be all vauge (especially at 7' up) from what I gather.

If I had it my way, I would find a single KLF-20 to mod for the center to have 3 KLF-20's across the front, and move my KLF-C7 to the rear, and have an 4 KLF-C7 (angle down) 7.1 surround setup.

I am not the biggest fan of the bipoles, but have to make due with I have for now.

• Like 1

Yes! I have 2 side surrounds and have my "A" set of speakers vertical while the "B" set is horizontal. I get exceptional surround with this setup compared to having them both horizontal. Even if you are only running one set of surrounds I think you will find the sound much more revealing.

Here is a pic of them.

post-8797-13819266929514_thumb.jpg

I have mine mounted on a wood mount I made which tilts the entire speaker down about 20 degrees so they point towards center seat position ear level....

they are the horns pointed front and rear with the woofer aiming at ears...like normal mount except angled downward....

it works very well for my room

SCOOTERDOG, I never though about pointing the tweeter to the sitting area via vertical mount. That might be something to try. My thoughts were more along the line of horizontal mounting, and the tilting to point the woofer to the listening area like ygmn described.... hmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

I have mine tilted downward (horizontal mount). I used the little rubber feet supplied with the surrounds, and used the keyhole to mount them. I then just left the screw out a little further and this tilted the top of the speaker down a little ways, not sure how far it's actually titled down (degree wise) but I thought it made quite a bit of difference. Vertical mounting looks very interesting, unfortunately I don't think I can turn mine because they are close to the ceiling. The RH rear is mounted above my door.