Klipschorn placement

My current room is 12' (wide) x 14' (depth) x 8'6" (height). I have 3 true, free corners but I know the room is small for Klipschorns. The question is, would they sound good all the same? I already have some RF3, RC3, RS3 and Heresy2 all crammed in here. (Perhaps I would sell the RS3 and use the Heresy2 as soft playing mains and surround for home theater?)

Would I be better with some La Scala? I ask because my heart is set on those on ebay (item number 5785742829) They have some damage on the tissue but I don't really care; I want to try Klipschorn speakers badly! I would like them because they are near me, that is less than 300 miles! Yes, that's near for someone from Quebec 1.gif. I already mailed the seller to know what are the model numbers of the drivers and crossovers.

Best placement, IMO, if you can do it is to place them along the 14 ft wall. They need the separation to open up. La Scala's are similarly demanding in that aspect. Granted your room is small and I suspect you would lack some in the bass dept but I suspect you already do anyhow. I am always for getting K-Horns if you can as long as you understand the more separation the better or more generally the larger the room the better. If you were going to do an HT, I would get a couple more H IIs for center and rear. The Klipschorns are going to sound very different than your Reference stuff. Their bass bin goes very deep and is very rich but not as punchy as a La Scala, it is meant to really replicate a bass violin sound accurately. They will provide a very enveloping sound.

FWIW I would sell the Reference stuff if you decide to go down this path. The timbre mismatch will begin to irritate you in a short time span. Been there done that.

I have also listened to my K-Horns along a 12 ft wall. The sound was fine. Remember however that ideally you would want the listening chair to be only about 6-8ft from the wall so that the cabinets and listener form a 90 deg angle (you are at the tangent from the face of the cabinet). This is an ideal (since the response is flatest when you are on axis). It appears that most folks violate this placement, anyhow. The K-Horns really do sound wonderful.

Let us know how it goes.

-Tom

I got a response from the wife of the seller telling me some info:

Written on the back (on the sticker?): K-C-BR, Serial # 8P293

Horns: K-77-M and K-55-V

I Really really love that color. How much do you think they should be worth, considering the light damage on the side cloth?

(edited)

Does the model numbers of the horns give an idea about the year of construction?

If the code 8P293 is on the cabinet it would have been manufactured in 1976. If it's on the driver, that's another matter. Driver codes: 9429 would be 1994 the 29th week. By the way, you can replace the cloth if it is worn or torn. Cane is more expensive and more difficult to find but it's out there.

Mick

I always wondered what would be the very best distance between Khorns to get the very best out of them??? I know it all depends on the room size--but lets just say the room is 40 x 40. In this case I imagine a false corner is needed. At what distance would you put this false corner and where would be the sweet spot.????? 1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to bid as you will, I changed my mind for now. I really don't have the place for them now. Anyway, the HeresyII already give me a great taste of the Heritage line. It already gives enough power to fill my room at the level I want. I must pay attention to my ears because I found out that my right ear has a deteriorated frequency response; it lacks at least 2 or 3 dBs in the 1kHz-2kHz region! 6.gif and it is a little more rolled off at the end 6.gif and I can't hear higher frequencies than 17kHz 6.gif8.gif