Re-enforcing La Scala Bass bin

J.4knee

OK here is what I am looking at doing. Either adding bracing across the center of the bass bin or adding a piece of 1/2 plywood to the outside of the cabinet. The first option I can do in my sleep (Itll probably look better that way) the second Andy (HDBR Builder) discussed in a thread a long time ago. Anyone know what thread that was. I have searched in vain (a better search tool/option for the forum would be a cool thing). I have a stripped bass bin standing by as a ready volunteer but I would like to read over what Andy discussed before I embark on this project.

Bracing across the inside of the bass bin is the way to go. I've heard Andy discuss this, and the little I remember about this includes measuring each piece seperately since the doghouse is not likely to be perfectly centered. The pieces cut properly will need to be tapped in. What I'm not clear about is how they are tacked in, whether it can be done from inside the doghouse, too. End result looks like a shelf for knick knacks inside the bass bin.

Bracing is the way to go. Doubling up the exterior does very little to stiffen the cabinet.

For now rough cut a 2x4 and try it. Cut it smaller then required and wedge it againts the dog house and the exterior side of the cabinet. I say cut it smaller so you can pad the ends when you wedge it into place. Use a towel, piece of rubber, or something handy that can be placed between rhe 2X4 ends and the cabinet. This will keep the 2X4 from scratching the cabinet. Do one speaker and A/B it with the other one and see if you think that it will be worth doing the mod.

Al,

That would be a good way to do it after you try out a temporary brace first, to see if it's worth the effort.

Theirs no doubt the bracing will cut down on a resonate frequency

somewhere in the bass horn. Meaning a slightly cleaner sound. Again, how much of an improvement? I never tried it, so I can't

comment on it. Paul did cut a few corners.

We discussed this mod two or three years ago. John Albright might have tried it. I remember talking to him about it.

So Al,

I've been catching up with my reading here. I see you have been busy. I guess there is no slowing the old man down9.gif .

It might be helpfull to also use a bar clamp. You could tighten up the sides by pulling them into the 2X4 braces. You might even be able to get by just using the bar clamp alone. Maybe just pinching the sides in might stiffen them enought?????

"Does the Lascalla even produce low enough bass to need bracing?? At 45Hz is it worth all the effort?"

You can feel the side panels resonating pretty strongly if you feed a LaScala fairly low bass at normal listening levels.

Tightening the panels probably won't make it go lower (in fact it might make it seem like it has less bass) but it should clean up the bass range and would probably be noticeable on a waterfall plot.

I was going to do this but since I high pass the LaScalas anyway the side panels on mine barely move since they aren't attempting to do low bass.

Shawn

Oh I am pretty sure it will be. Doing this mod was one of the things I asked the Klpsch folk about when I was in Indy. And they said yes it did result in improved performance but the WAF was exceedingly low; to much so to go into production but I have a couple idea's to improve that some.

Well let's just say klipsch claims that reinforcing the cabinet is a very good move which also totally increases and cleans up the low end...so much so that the crossover will need to be reworked to maintain a balanced system between the LF and MF/HF sections.

I wonder though what sonic side effects the cross bracing might have. I know the Jubilee setup uses a similar thing inside the bass horn, but it has a sonic purpose behind it...

Yeah I rermember those comments as well and the HF/MF adjustment requirement possibility is a concern however there is room for adjustment in the ALK's and I have the mids and HF down some now I may have to boost them back to 4/X on my ALK's. That is why I like Q-Mans approach I can reverse it immediately if I cannot get the desired result. I also wish I had more front to back room in my listening room and I do need to do some acoustic treatment there as well. I have been piecemeal purchasing Auralex products to address that as well.

I should have a rudimentary test done by the end of this holiday. I'll post my results. These will be purely anecdotal results as I have no way of measuring anything other than a correction scale for my Rat Shack SPL meter assuming it is valid for the digital one and test tones from my DVE disk and of course my opinion on what I hear.

----------------

On 7/3/2005 1:01:10 AM J.4knee wrote:

I should have a rudimentary test done by the end of this holiday. I'll post my results. These will be purely anecdotal results as I have no way of measuring anything other than a correction scale for my Rat Shack SPL meter assuming it is valid for the digital one and test tones from my DVE disk and of course my opinion on what I hear.

----------------

no problem. i personally don't care what i see on paper. i want to hear other people's opinions on how it sounds to THEM.

LS271.jpg

These braces are 3/4" plywood glued and screwed in from the outside. One could probably install cleats and attach everything from the inside.

The amount of bass output will be less, but the quality of the bass better. Adjustments to the crossover are necessary. This information comes from a very good source, details of which I cannot reveal at this time.3.gif

Greg

post-11090-13819267056106_thumb.jpg