Peach and the high/low switch

Coytee

I've never claimed to have golden ears, so with that as my preface, just exactly what might one want to listen for between the two settings?

I seem to recall reading that it's a "distinct" difference, though perhaps subtle.

If that's the case, then I'm embarassed to say that the couple times I've switched it back/forth, I've never heard anything "distinctly" different. Quite frankly, I've never heard anything different at all, not even subtly.

I've wondered if I'm even listening for the "right" thing so that I CAN discern the difference.

I just like to know what does what (in other words, I'm being anal about this)

1.gif

----------------

On 7/6/2005 8:24:41 PM Coytee wrote:

I've never claimed to have golden ears, so with that as my preface, just exactly what might one want to listen for between the two settings?

I seem to recall reading that it's a "distinct" difference, though perhaps subtle.

If that's the case, then I'm embarassed to say that the couple times I've switched it back/forth, I've never heard anything "distinctly" different. Quite frankly, I've never heard anything different at all, not even subtly.

In terms of an A/B type test, I don't think anyone could do more than to "hear" a difference as the mode is switched back and forth. If a listener were to walk in the room with one or the other playing, it's pretty unlikely that one could discern any difference in that situation.

I've wondered if I'm even listening for the "right" thing so that I CAN discern the difference.

I just like to know what does what (in other words, I'm being anal about this)

1.gif

----------------

Coytee,

I have done some switching back and forth to see which I preferred. As I understand it (which is nearly no understanding at all) The difference in the BlueBerry mode the the Super LoZ mode, is a change in impedance to allow long cable runs between the preamp and poweramp in the Super LoZ mode.

The change is indeed subtle. I don't think remember anyone posting that they preferred anything but the BB mode. One thing that's nice about the BB mode is that it engages the use of one less tube than the super LoZ mode. So in BB mode, you can save one of your vintage tubes for the future. To leave one of the tubes still in the socket is still required for the circuit, but for the signal path, it's out of the loop in super LoZ.

I'm afraid I would have to disagree with Daddy on this one. I think the difference is fairly dramatic between the two modes and becomes even more apparent the higher the quality of NOS tube you run in the single slot.

To my ears, the high BB mode provides more extension in the upper frequencies versus the super loz mode. Also, sounds.....more dynamic and detailed to me. Almost as if a blanket or cover is lifted off of the speakers (vs. the low mode), and I would use the analogy of hearing freshened crossovers (vs. older, original ones). There is also a reduction in volume in the super loz mode that may not interest some running lowered-powered tube amps (when you get to higher decibel levels). Don't get me wrong, I have achieved some very favorable results with the Super Loz mode and currently run two Siemens CCas there right now. And, after all, it comes down to personal audible preferences.

But, I can hear a substantial difference between the two modes.

Carl.

----------------

On 7/7/2005 10:12:12 AM cjgeraci wrote:

I'm afraid I would have to disagree with Daddy on this one. I think the difference is fairly dramatic between the two modes and becomes even more apparent the higher the quality of NOS tube you run in the single slot.

To my ears, the high BB mode provides more extension in the upper frequencies versus the super loz mode. Also, sounds.....more dynamic and detailed to me. Almost as if a blanket or cover is lifted off of the speakers (vs. the low mode), and I would use the analogy of hearing freshened crossovers (vs. older, original ones). There is also a reduction in volume in the super loz mode that may not interest some running lowered-powered tube amps (when you get to higher decibel levels). Don't get me wrong, I have achieved some very favorable results with the Super Loz mode and currently run two Siemens CCas there right now. And, after all, it comes down to personal audible preferences.

But, I can hear a substantial difference between the two modes.

Carl.

----------------

Would it be fair for me to conclude you might suggest I try to listen to it at a higher SPL to try to notice any effects?

Thus far, I have only used lower volume when flipping back/forth and have heard no real difference, ESPECIALLY, as you say a "substantial" difference. I'm using stock tubes as received from Mark.

Not necessarily "really, really loud," but try it at moderate to loud volumes to see if you hear any difference. Honestly, even with the stock tubes in, I could hear a difference originally, even at moderate volumes. But, the differences do become more apparent to me the louder you go.

Again, I still think both modes are great, but I have a preference for the hi one. And Daddy is right; with the hi mode, you can pick up one nice NOS (or even used some) Amperex or Telefunken or Siemens - and that is all you need.

Maybe others do not hear as much of a difference as I have heard - and will chime in. But, at least one other forum member who heard my Peach - commented on the difference.

Or ....maybe it is just my Peach.

Carl.

Not that it matters for purposes of this discussion, but I think I've had it backwards given what you just said.

I've thought the low setting was the "regular" mode and provided the shortest signal path. I further thought the "high" mode was the higher OOMPH mode to use when you have the long cables.

I would have thought the low mode provided the shortest signal path because of the "low" signal hence, not much in the way of signal.

Given what you say about the single tube and my just now reading JM's site, I think I've had the high/low switch backward as far as my thinking of what was going on behind the scenes.

Again, it doesn't really change the logic of this thread, just an admission that I'm more clueless than I'd previously thought

9.gif

Perhaps I ought to read the manual someday

11.gif

I have a Peach and have done plenty of experimentation with modes and NOS tube compliments as well.

The LoZ mode gives a higher powered output for use with long cables to amps kept at a distance, perhaps close to the speakers. LoZ mode is also excellent for splitting the output signal for multiple amps or especially for powered subs which is how I use it. It is also just another mode to use for general listening.

The LoZ mode does have a different tone than HiZ (or BB) mode. I have used the stock tubes, Amperex Bugle Boys, and now Telefunkens. LoZ mode operates with about the same type of tonality differences from HiZ mode relative to the tubes being used. I have only experimented with ALL of 1 type in all 3 positions.

Here's what I have found. HiZ mode has more balanced or what I would call optimal tonality (IMHO). The LoZ mode not only pumps up the volume but I have found the bass thins out some and the mids come out more. The top end comes up a small amount. I generally try to increase volume in HiZ mode to satisfy myself, and make changes to LoZ mode while decreasing the volume to do A/B testing on the fly to see what sounds best. Then I leave it where it sounds best.

Having both modes is a great tool and trademark of the Peach. I have found the Amperex tubes to sound a bit crisper than the telefunkens, but the telefunkens have more bass and seem to have slightly deeper soundstage. ALl a matter of opinion, but changing between the 2 modes definitely makes a difference.

I hope this helps.

Well Mark... I guess I just got dumb ears.

I turned up volume today & tried to do a A/B (High/Low) multiple times and if there were a $50 wager on the sound being different to my ears, I'd lost that bet every time. I DO appreciate your commentary as to what you hear. That is what I'm trying to listen for.

If it were to matter and I doubt it would, the signal path is CD player to a splitter. The splitter feeds the Jolida AND the Peach. So, From CD via splitter to the Peach and from the Peach to the Wrights. After the Wrights comes a Niles A/B switchbox and the Khorns are plumbed directly into the Niles.

Guess I'm worrying about it too much but I'm just one of those that if it's blue/gray...then I want to see that it's blue/gray and not some other mixture.

Well, I think you'd easily notice the difference in sound between modes on my system (whatever the source that generates it).

To help some I'll tell you what I'm using. I have a Sony 222 CD player plugged directly into the Peach, the Peach output is split to feed the VRDs, and powered subs. I have a DBX EQ on the tape loop, but even when switched out, the difference can still be heard.

I wouldn't be too concerned. This is not a huge night and day difference I am describing, but a slight tonal shift that can be "detected". My description above attempts to describe the difference, but again not a major deal.

Question, when you go to LoZ mode do you get a substantial increase in volume? On my system I do.

----------------

On 7/9/2005 8:38:55 AM mark1101 wrote:

Question, when you go to LoZ mode do you get a substantial increase in volume? On my system I do.

----------------

This is also what I hear - a substantial decrease in volume. In my system, a Jolida CD player ties in directly to the Peach and the Peach outputs are split to front and rear two-channels (with the rear eq'd) and to my SVS sub. Amps are Marantz 8B and Dynaco Stereo 70 (or Rotel 1080) on a switcher. I also heard a difference when I ran my RF-7s off of the Peach, but Coytee, I agree with Mark - I wouldn't sweat it if you do not.

Carl.