Just Inherited Cornwall II - Looking for Info...

jhoeckl

Hello - I just recently inherited two older Cornwall II speakers that are in great condition. I was trying to figure out more about like:

When were they made? I have sequential serial numbers: 3B58 and 3B59.

Can the finish be completely restored? Mine look great and I used Old English to polish them, but there are a few small blemishes if you look just right. :)

The front cover can it be restored or replaced? It looks like water or liquid stained the front some how. The speakers and woofers are fine because I opened the back (probably for the first time since it was made) to look inside, the woofers are in incredible shape.

Are they worth anything with water stains? Like should I have my renter's insurance cover them? Are they collectible? They seem really spiffy. They still have the original serial number and signed inspection on the back not even torn. They also have the original warranty cards (paper actually).

Of course I plugged them in, I have never heard better sound, but I am not an audio expert. They seem incredible.

If you can answer any questions or have any information about the Cornwalls I would appreciate it. My e-mail is jhoeckl@wou.edu or you can reply to the post. Thanks!

The Cornwalls are a very fine speaker. If I were you I'd keep em.

The front cover cloth can be replaced, and can be found here on teh forum. They are very collectable, and even with water stains they seem to bring over $800-$900. In perfect condition even more.

But if I were you, I'd invest in a nice amp and cd player/turn table and just sit back and enjoy 1.gif

Hope this helps, David.

If the grills are stained. You may be able to get them out with oxy clean stain removal spray. I did this with a pair of my old white! surrounds. It worked like a charm. Set the grills down spray them all over lightly with the oxy clean, and then set a fresh clean older towel over it. It will suck up all the dirt, and crap. Leave it there over night. I told a buddy of mine about this and he did it to a vintage amp and could not believe how new his grill turned out. I never got to see the amp though afterwards, bummer. I got a stain out of white speaker grills so it worked pretty good for me. You got some really good speakers there welcome to the forum

Those are 1963 Vertical Cornwall II's! They are 42 years old and probably still funtion flawlessy. They will have the K-33J (Jensen P15LL Alnico Woofer), K-55V midrange and the chrome throat K-77 tweeter. The networks will be the older 1000-5000Hz versions with the bobbinized coils.

The stains can probably be sanded out, to replace the most likely cane grill cloth on the front the motorboard must be removed. Their are 12 screws on the inside that need to be removed to pull the motorboard. The grill is most likely secured my hundreds and hundreds of staples. You will have to be super careful though the 42 year tissue paper insulation in thier is very delicate and can be easily damaged.

My brother in law has the oldest known pair of Corns, some '61's. I have the 2nd oldest pair some 62's (3A26 & 3A27), now it is a toss up between yours and Michael Colter's as he has a pair of '63's. They have the Pie Slice logos I take it.

Selling price is around $600 - $1000 depending on condition if you are looking to sell them. In fact Triceratops that is in the Oregon area has been looking for a pair of old ones to mate up with his 60's Klipschorns.

You should have no trouble parting with those antique verticals. Which are my favorites by the way.

WHEW, almost got bumped...I'll keep my place third in line...

I have sequential serial numbers: 3B48 and 3B49

Those are some beautiful speakers, I believe that of the 'oldies', mine were acquired most recently. I paid $500 and flew from Indy to Miami and drove them back, travel expense probably another $500 (allowing nothing for my time, which as we all know is worthless),

Estimated value $1000, I wouldn't take TWICE that for these Klipsch Historical Heritage speakers.

Keep em, or sell em here, if you MUST. But I'd give em a good listen for a decade or two before ever selling!

Michael

Actually, you guys did get bumped. Triceratops (John) picked up a pair of '62's with S/N's that just followed mine (Whew!) so Mike gets pushed to 4th and Allan to 5th. I love it when these old verticals come to the surface. These '63's are older than Allan's so that would make it 6th but who cares it is all good!

You're right though Allan you have certainly had yours much longer I have only had mine a couple of years.

Thanks for the nod, Charles! As of last week I am the new owner of 1962 Cornwall pair 3A28 and 3A29 from Seattle. One of the reasons I wanted the '62 Cornwalls is they are closer in age to my 1960 Khorns than my other Cornies. Gilbert also wanted them and is specifically looking for some '62 Cornwalls. Gilbert has been very gracious about my purchase of these speakers and if they ever leave my hands it will be to Gilbert's collection.

I sent an E-mail to Justin (owner of the '63's who started this thread) to let him know I would be very interested in buying his '63 Cornwalls should he care to sell them now, in a few months, or 10 years down the road (he's nearby in Salem). No response from him yet--perhaps it is not the right time to ask that question of someone just discovering the sonic beauty of Heritage Klipsch! If Justin was to sell his Cornwalls, I would then pass my '62's on to Gilbert and hopefully increase harmony in the universe.

I will post some pictures of the '62 Cornwalls in another thread so as not to totally hijack this one. Justin, if you're still reading I could also provide some nice later vintage Cornwalls in addition to cash if you prefer not to be totally without the wonderful Klipsch Cornwall sound. You could borrow one of these pairs ('68 verticals or '75 horizontals) for a while to check out how they sound beside yours. You're also welcome to visit my digs and check out the '76 Belles, '76 Heresy's, and '60 Khorns. My email is thepieboy@comcast.net

Best in horns,

triceratops

Thanks, Michael!

By the way, I just heard back from Justin. He is working on cleaning the grilles.

Which reminds me--Wheelman wrote:

"If the grills are stained. You may be able to get them out with oxy clean stain removal spray. I did this with a pair of my old white surrounds. It worked like a charm. Set the grills down spray them all over lightly with the oxy clean, and then set a fresh clean older towel over it. It will suck up all the dirt, and crap. Leave it there over night. I told a buddy of mine about this and he did it to a vintage amp and could not believe how new his grill turned out. I never got to see the amp though afterwards, bummer. I got a stain out of white speaker grills so it worked pretty good for me. You got some really good speakers there welcome to the forum"

One point of clarification:

It may be obvious to everyone on the Forum that the kind of cleaning Wheelman describes is only possible if the grills are separated from the speakers. The later generation Heritage speakers have removable grills, whereas the older '60's speakers do not! The grill cloth is wrapped around and stapled to the motorboard on these, so you would have to remove the speakers from the motorboard, then remove the motorboard from the cabinet before doing this kind of cleaning. Otherwise potential damage to the drivers--not good. Like I said, maybe everybody knows this already, but thought I'd better post that just in case. Better to be safe than sorry!

Best in horns,

triceratops

tricera, ya dog . . . . so you're the one that outbid me on those verts! I was looking forward to owning those . . . and then, at the last minute . . . snipedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd . . ..aagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

congrats and enjoy, patrick

Hi Patrick,

Sorry about that! I didn't know if I was going to be able to purchase the '62's when I bid on the '68's--and I did not know your Ebay ID! Is Oregon a driveable distance for you? I would be willing to sell them to you for what I paid, as long as they are not needed for a transaction with Justin. I picked them up from the seller so there are no shipping charges in them yet. Alternately you could get the Cornwall vault lined up or we could get a crate built for them. Send me an E-mail and we can work it out. I just would like to retain one pair of Cornwalls close to the vintage of my Khorns.

Best,

triceratops