HD vs basic cable

dtel

• Moderators

Was talking with my wife last night about switching from cable to sat dish if they come out with more hd.

She said she doesn't think there would much of a difference in the picture, basic cable vs hd dish.

Never seen hd on the new tv what do you think?

It really depends on the TV. The larger the set, the greater the difference.

On my 65" set, there is a tremendous difference. On my 26" set, the difference

is very noticeable from fairly close up, but if you get back 10 or 12 feet the

improvement becomes considerably less obvious.

Let me know next time you come to N.O. and you can stop by to take a look.

Dave

Even without HD signals the satellite dish picture and sound are far superior to cable, even the digital cable (all they do is receive the same satellite signal and then send it to you). I go to other people's house's and the picture is so nasty and grainy I can stand watching it.

Your talking 500 lines of resolution from the dish to the average 240-280 from basic cable. It is like comparing VHS to DVD picture quality. If she can't tell the difference it is time for a trip to the eye doctor for a checkup.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 1:05:05 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Even without HD signals the satellite dish picture and sound are far superior to cable, even the digital cable (all they do is receive the same satellite signal and then send it to you). I go to other people's house's and the picture is so nasty and grainy I can stand watching it.

Your talking 500 lines of resolution from the dish to the average 240-280 from basic cable. It is like comparing VHS to DVD picture quality. If she can't tell the difference it is time for a trip to the eye doctor for a checkup.

----------------

I just got digital & HD cable from Charter and I am somewhat disappointed. The "regular" channels look no better than broadcast TV, meaning on my 42" TV the picture kinda sucks. The digital channels look OK, the HD channels in 1080i over DVI connection look amazing though so at least there's that. I may consider the dish when my house is done, depending on the pricing. Are the HD channels from the Dish 1080i?

I had a dish for a few years, got so fed up with intermittent signals (everytime a little snow built up on the dish), noise (every time it rained hard), intermittent humm I could never fully get rid of I finally ripped the damn thing off my roof and went with Comcast Digital. I would *NEVER* consider going back to satellite - cable picture is far, far better and a lot more reliable than what I got with DirecTV.

I live in southwestern Connecticut, by the way.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 1:02:20 PM WS65711 wrote:

It really depends on the TV. The larger the set, the greater the difference.

On my 65" set, there is a tremendous difference. On my 26" set, the difference

is very noticeable from fairly close up, but if you get back 10 or 12 feet the

improvement becomes considerably less obvious.

Let me know next time you come to N.O. and you can stop by to take a look.

Dave----------------

No, it doesn't depend. HD looks way better on any HD set. The HD will be like night and day compared to analog. You don't necessarily have to switch to dish to get HD, though. In most areas, you can get HD for free, just by buying a Local HD tuner.

Yes, the HD from sat is 1080i. Except for ESPN HD is 720p.

Ray's troubles are definitely not typical, so I wouldn't let that scare you off.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 11:10:35 PM toddvj wrote:

No, it doesn't depend. HD looks way better on any HD set. The HD will be like night and day compared to analog. You don't necessarily have to switch to dish to get HD, though. In most areas, you can get HD for free, just by buying a Local HD tuner.

----------------

Not to pick nits or start an argument, but . . .

I agree with you 100%. HD looks way better on any HD set.

But in dtel's post his wife was questioning whether she would see "much" difference.

Maybe the issue here is how "much" is "much". I can tell you that on my 65" set from

12' back the difference is tremendous. On my 26" set from 12' back the difference is

"not much".

BTW, I get my HD programming the "free" way also. OTA. Both of my sets have

built in ATSC tuners.

Dave

• Moderators

Thanks for the help, i did look at bb and sears and when looking at 20 or so different tv's it's kind of hard so see a big difference because they are all get the same signal. They all look a little different, so many different brands and they is no telling how they are set.

The quality of the picture we get now seems to differ from channel to chanel, never even close to dvd quality.

The tv is a 65" toshiba it has a built in hd tuner, but we live at the very edge of the range of an outdoor antenna.

I guess when they get a few more channels of hd we will have to try it, cable or dish who ever has the best deal at the time, from other threads it sounds like it will be some type of dish. Thanks for the help

And WS65711 thanks for the offer to see your mits, i may have to take You up on the offer one day, thanks again.