carver silver 7t

priapus

so i was just playing around on the internet and found a pair of these on ebay. anyone know anything about them? i've looked around on google and i cant even find out if they are tube or ss. what are they worth? will they match to the rf-7's im planning on buying soon?

thanks for any info!!

They are SS. They were a OK amp in thier day. A lot more info can be found at www.carveraudio.com

Many feel that they (Carver)do not mate well with horns. I tend to agree with that line of thinking as well, based on owning both over the years.

Roy

I agree, Carver's don't got that well with Klipsch.

Get a Rotel setup, that will go really well with Klipsch! The Rotel RB-1080 and RB-1090 are nice and sound great. I would go with separates but I hear the Rotel Recv. go really well to with Klipsch. Good Luck too ya. I have the RF-7, you will really enjoy them if you give them what they deserve! Put something good with it!!!!

I got news for you dude Rotel is far from being "all that" either. Glad you are excited and it is working for you though! The 7t amps are alot better than you think and alot of people here on the forum are using Carver amplifiers with their Klipsch speakers with very good results.

If these are the amps in question, they are awesome! Rotel, isn't that a company that cans tomatoes?

silver7.jpg

I think it is way too much power for most if not all Klipsch speakers though, probably great with Magnaplanar speakers or Bose 901's though.

wow thanks for the replies!! didn't quite expect anything so fast :)

looked at the rotel on audiogon, and 1st impression is good. recommend their pre's as well?

I'm really starting to get antsy now, as i have the money to put together a really nice system, but no place to put it until i can FINALLY close on my house!

"If these are the amps in question, they are awesome!"

No, that is the Silver 7. The 7t is a SS amp. Itlooks pretty similar to the PS on the right above except I think the rear is covered by the chassis so there isn't a power transformer sticking up like that on the 7T.

Shawn

"There is a pair on eBay and they look just like the amplifier on the right."

The thing on the right above is the power supply for the tube amp. The two make one mono-block of a Silver 7 amplifier from Carver.

Look again at the pictures on ebay...

df_1_b.JPG

the back of the chassis is different as I mentioned above and the chassis itself looks a little smaller.

Shawn

To understand the Silver 7t, you have to go back in time a bit with Bob Carver, Stereophile and the tube / solid state debate...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a man names Bob Carver claimed that he could make any amp sound just like any other amp by altering the "transfer function" of one of the amps. He built a prototype solid state amp that he claimed sounded exactly like a then-current state of the art high end tube amp (not sure which one.) Stereophile picked up the challenge, and invited Bob to come to their (then Santa Fe) headquarters and show them. He did. They were unable, after some tweeking and under some I-don't-remember-exactly-what-type-of test conditions, to tell the difference between his prototype amp and the mega buck mono bloc high powered tube amps. Bob won.

Bob took this victory and ran with it. He produced the M-1t (?I think?) and advertised it as sounding "exactly like" some unnamed high end high powered tube amps. Stereophile was a bit miffed by the whole thing, bought one of the production versions of this amp, compared it to the original tube amps used in the original comparison, and pronounced the M-1t far inferior. Either (a) they made a mistake in the first place, or (B) (their explination) the production versions didn't live up to the promise of the prototype.

Bob was seriously pissed off, ran a few ads in stereophile with a somewhat tongue-in-cheek "screw you guys" message, then went away.

Eventually, Bob (or Bob's marketing division) decided that since he could make any amp sound like any other amp, he should build a limited edition, world's best sounding tube amp, damn the costs, and then design a (less expensive) solid state amp that sounded exactly like this world's-best-sounding-tube-amp, which they would then sell.

Thus was born the Silver 7t, the best sounding, most expensive, most over-designed, limited production best amplifier ever conceived in the history of the human race. Bob actually sold a few.

Shortly after, the solid state incarnation of this amp, the Silver 7t, was released.

so, will the solid state clone of the one-time worlds best sounding, over engineered, limited production, best amp to ever grace the livingrooms of mankind, sound good with a pair of rf-7's? going through the one review i found, they tend to be scratchy in the 3khz range on an older infinity flagship. and if i were to get monoblocks, should i brandname/era match for a pre?

thanks again to everyone who replied :)

----------------

On 7/13/2005 1:52:03 PM priapus wrote:

so, will the solid state clone of the one-time worlds best sounding, over engineered, limited production, best amp to ever grace the livingrooms of mankind, sound good with a pair of rf-7's? going through the one review i found, they tend to be scratchy in the 3khz range on an older infinity flagship. and if i were to get monoblocks, should i brandname/era match for a pre?

thanks again to everyone who replied
:)

----------------

if you were to "brand name" match, I would look for a CT 19. That was bob Carvers best and only tube based pre amp. That would smooth the edges on the amp a bit.

Roy

Is brand matching not normal? I thought it made sense that product A would be designed for use with product B.

another question though, as just about everything in the klipsch line is disgustingly sensitive, has anyone tried running their speakers off of just their processor? It only has to provide a max peak of what 8 or 16 watts if you normally listen at less 1? And it would remove 2 sets of jacks and a bunch of electronics from the signal path.

colterphoto1, there you go again! You're begining to be like a tick on a dog on me guy, what is with this? I only mention Rotel because many, many, recommend it all over the net, here, and the Rotel forum for Klipsch, at a great affordable price for hi-end sound. I am not using Rotel and never said that I was. One of my best friend does, and it sounds great with the RB-1090 and his Klipsch speaker, it don't have the problem at lower volume but it's much more $$$ than the RB-1080. I am using McIntosh 500wpc with my Klipsch RF-7. Have a nice day Mr. Michael, sorry you really don't care for any of my input here!

Frzninvt, wow! Glad it's working for ya! Calm down. Regardless of what I say, many said the same about Carver over at Audiogon but I think Rotel sounds great on my friends setup! The McIntosh sound great on mine here. You can disagree with that, fine, no problem. I don't like the Carver sound with mine, happy to hear it does work for some! Good to hear.

I'm talking SS Carver! If it's the tubes by Carver, my mistake. I have not heard those. I only speak for the SS Carver from my experience from those. 16.gif