Preamp Wanted...anyone?

McIntosh C33 (as well as many other C-series') are built like Packards and sound great. Granted they are 20+ years old and don't have dedicated sub outputs (but they do have up to three sets of amp outputs) but they can be had for about $1.2k or so. AudioClassics.com is a great place to get one from.

I have a RL-11, have owned a Mapletree Audio 4A SE tubed preamp and a Peach. I would take them in reverse order starting with the Peach (tubed preamp). If you want a phono option there is a Blueberry from Mark. If money is an option, you could also take a look at Mark's Merlin which is less expensive, but based on the same philosophy.

If you are playing with RF-7's then take a look at Mark's tubed products, www.juicymusicaudio.com, you will be pleased with the result. The tube preamp tends to moderate the detail of the SS amp, it reduces the ear winding after 35-45 minutes.

Hello AncientDude,

An alternative to a pre-amp is a "passive pre-amp". If you are not familiar with this, the name is a bit misleading. It is entirely passive, basically just a switch and a pad (or step attenuator). The one I use is a Adcom SLC505. They are not made anymore, but are available on e-bay for less than $100. Since they are passive, no noise or distortion will be introduced and no sound will bleed through between multiple sources. Also, a used one will not require any servicing (other than some contact cleaner).

There are some caveats:

1) line level only as a source (no phono), 2) no tone controls (not a major problem), the interconnect between the Passive preamp and the amp must be short (the impedance of the preamp output and cable capacitance in the interconnect - if it is long - will low-pass the signal in the audio range), 3)for some odd ball sources (esoteric cd players) the input impedance on the passive preamp may not be 10 times greater than the output impedance of the cd player's output.

However, given the above this is as close to a "piece of wire" as you can get. Pre-amps costing $1200 do not make sense to me (unless phono is an issue), since they may have some degree of distortion, hiss, and hum.

I have been using this with my K-Horns, since their efficiency will reveal any inadequacy in an active component. That had been a headache that lead me in this direction.

Good luck,

-Tom

----------------

On 7/17/2005 3:23:41 PM ancientdude wrote:

Aragon 4004mk2

----------------

Maybe you could stretch your budget and find a nice Marantz 7T. I heard one at Thebes place and was very impressed. If you're patient, you can find a nice one for about $500. It sounded very warm for a SS pre plus it'll give you a phono section.

I don't know how well it'll mate with the Aragon but folks here seem to really like them with their Klipsch.

also ask NOSvalves.com for an integrated tube amp that could be used as both power amp and pre-amp, maybe about same price as Peach...

In your profile, please specify your, room size, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks.

10.gif

how about this?

Sony TA-P9000ES multichannel analog preamplifier

Larry Greenhill, November, 2001

Sony describes the $700 TA-P9000ES as "a pure audio multichannel preamplifier equipped with two inputs for 5.1 analog multichannel audio sources, enabling selection, volume control, and amplification." A relay with twin gold-plated crossbars switches the two six-channel sources. Then follows a class-A solid-state push-pull amplifier in discrete configuration. Separate transistors, resistors, and capacitors populate the printed circuit boards. An oxygen-free copper shield surrounds each channel to prevent crosstalk between the channels. In addition, there is a relay-controlled gain stage offering 0, +6, and +12dB amplification.

http://stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/700/

10.gif