BMS compression drivers - any good?

D-MAN

Ran across these 1" and 2" throat drivers on Martinelli's website - are these any good? Never heard of them.

These are "co-axial" horn drivers in one mount - check out the frequency response curves - kiss goodbye to an active EQ! They actually get louder the higher they go! This MIGHT be a very good solution to the infamous 2-way problem...

The price/performance ratio looks outstanding. Is it too good to be true?

BMS link(Martinelli Sound)

DM2.gif

Yessir, but only one horn and one "driver"! This is very intriguing. Theoretically, there would be no phase differences and should produce a homogenous soundwave with no comb-filtering, etc. They also are very efficient (114db).

Crossover notch distortion would be the only issue, if any, that I can see.

Overall, it looks like a good and (apparently) cost-effective solution. Now for how it sounds...

DM2.gif

D-Man,

I'm going to try the H4592ND one of these days. I've been meaning to compare it to my Altec and JBL top hat. I'm way behind on the things that I want to do, as you know. I still want to try the bass horn that we discussed.

I'm told by a pro JBL dealer that he likes the sound of the BMS drivers over the JBL drivers that he sells.

----------------

On 7/19/2005 10:40:32 AM Q-Man wrote:

I'm told by a pro JBL dealer that he likes the sound of the BMS drivers over the JBL drivers that he sells.

----------------

No wonder diehard JBL fanatics can't find the products they want. Their own dealers are killing them.

"I'm told by a pro JBL dealer that he likes the sound of the BMS drivers over the JBL drivers that he sells. "

Uhh, I hate to tell you this, but some JBL pro speakers have the BMS 1" in them.

The 2406 and 2407 drivers are the ones by BMS.

K-55, what's that?

The dealer that I talked to sells both JBL and BMS.

I started looking into the 2" driver to use with the University Classic bass horn. Some of you know that I like the sound of the Classic better then the Klipschorn, but the classic doesn't go as low. I can also fit a larger horn on top of the Classic. I found a guy in Canada that makes some horns that are usable to 300Hz, but they are too large to fit on top of the Klipschorn. If the BMS driver and this horn sound any where near as good as my Altec 290-16K driver, Altec 311-90 horn, and the JBL 2404-H tweeter it should be a keeper. Then I will have to find or make a horn that will work with the Klipschorn. If this works, it should be a mod that anyone can do. The reason I say that is because you can buy the parts new, instead of looking for classic drivers and horns.

"If this works, it should be a mod that anyone can do. The reason I say that is because you can buy the parts new, instead of looking for classic drivers and horns."

yeah! then q-man can sell me those obsolete classic horns and drivers! lol

tony