can someone explain Dolby Digital modes?

mbajner

my current Yamaha RXV-2095 has auto detect for the incoming DVD player

it shows Pro Logic, Dolby Digital or DTS appropriately

I am looking at a new pre/per to replace this A/V receiver and from what I read, there realy is no Dobly Digital mode anymore.

has this been replaced with DoblyProLogicII ? or something like this ?

also, what are these EX and ES modes?

I am confused and need clarification

Dolby Digital and DTS are 2 surround-sound formats from completely different companies.

Dolby Digital and DTS are, if indicated on your DVD's or receiver, surround-sound formats capable of a 5.1 playback. 5.1 meaning 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer.

Dolby Digital EX means 6.1. It only works if you have an additional speaker, usually a surround-back (many people use a center-channel speaker for this).

DTS EX also means 6.1. The difference between ES and EX is that they belong to Dolby Laboratories, and DTS, respectively.

Dolby ProLogic IIx is the newest surround-sound mode from Dolby Labs that takes any stereo (2-channel) or 5.1 signal and converts it into a 7.1 surround format. This only works if you have 2 surround-back speakers.

This sound mode is also the same as THX Surround Cinema, THX Ultra Surround, and THX Ultra2 Surround. However, you don't need to worry about those unless your receiver/preamp is equipped with THX formats.

thanks for the quick reply

I am looking at the Anthem AVM30 pre-pro and it has those THX Cinema modes you described

I beleive that this pre-pro has an Auto mode (which I want) so I do not have to set which sound mode every time I play a DVD

I only have a 5.1 setup and will be at this level for sometime

sounds like I stik with the vanilla Dolby Digital or DTS modes since I havea 5.1 setup correct?

----------------

On 7/20/2005 9:52:57 AM tommyboy wrote:

Is it normal for my receiver to go into 6.1 automatically with DDEX recordings? I hope so, because even if I try to put it into 5.1, it stays in 6.1

----------------

Yes if you have it set to Auto.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity...

Well, we now know who 'owns' each standard, and everyone runs off as if the ownership defines the technical parameters 2.gif , but is anyone going to do the research and summarize WHAT the standards are from a technical standpoint and answer the initial question!?

----------------

On 7/20/2005 2:45:48 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Just out of curiosity...

Well, we now know who 'owns' each standard, and everyone runs off as if the ownership defines the technical parameters
2.gif
, but is anyone going to do the research and summarize WHAT the standards are from a technical standpoint and answer the initial question!?

----------------

That sounds like a good job for you! Thanks for asking9.gif9.gif