Members Weekly Music Recommendations-July 18

thebes

Yaah mon, ju gotta lay back man and let everyting be all right.

Letcha nattdy dreads hang down and sing da praise of Ja.

It's da time of da year to let it all hang out, so don't be no bubba clot, Irie, turn de bass down really, really low, ya know whatta I mean.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Bob Marley and Wailers, "Natty Dread", lp, reggae

A seminal recording from a unique musician and hero to many, including me. Includes "No woman no cry" and "Revolution'. Backing vocals by the I-Threes.

Always play reggae with the bass as low as you can get it. If you got big speakers this is the music for you.

So what do you have to share this week?

The Moody Blues, Live At Montreux 1991, DVD, Rock

Montreux 1991 Jazz Festival

16:9 Wide Screen, DTS, Dolby Surround 5.1, PCM Stereo

Eagle Eye Media 39092-9

My wife ordered this one and it just came in today. She is still visiting at her Mom's so I opened it anyway.... Will tell her how good it is when I call her tonight.

My Moody Blues concert collection is growing. I must say they are better live than in the studio. This DVD lives up to this theory.

GRAEME EDGE was great on the drums will a few solo's which make this DVD a real winner in my book.

The Wide-Screen and great sound quality put this DVD on my must have list for those who love the Moody Blues.

Greg

Natty Dread is some of the most low down yet sublime reggae ever made--

But, my choice this week is Marc Johnson's "The Sound of Summer Running". Happy, light jazz but definitely not smooth jazz--its fun to hear Pat Metheny and Bill Frisell play together on these somewhat summery and sometimes upbeat tunes. Johnson plays great bass way back in the mix--his other CDs are well worth several listens -- beautifully recorded.

dionnewarwick.jpg

Walk On By: Definitive Collection - Dionne Warwick

All of the good stuff from her pre-psychic days. Can you be pre-psychic? If your going to become psychic, would you already know? Mostly Burt Bacharat & Hal David music on this CD. Began playing Bacharat tunes in high school as a joke but I really grew to like it. Anyway, what a voice! There is something special about Dionne Warwick. Maybe I knew her in a past life 9.gif .

post-17394-13819268558854_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...