Would really love Klipshorns, but don't know if room will be favorable to them..

Dmitry

I finally got a room of my own for music listening and some quiet.

25ft long

12ft wide

8ft high

Ceiling is plaster with exposed wood beams. Walls are wood paneled through-out.

Do you think Klipschorns would fit nicely in a room of this size and where would you place them?

Thanks in advance.

First, welcome to the forum!

I have a pair of Khorns in a 25' x 13' x 8-9.5'. Due to the room layout the horns are on the 13' wall. They still sound fine. Note: I did have to make a new top for the bass bin that allowed me keep the bin in the corner and toe in the HF section.

I may be wrong (a common occurance), but it seems to me that if you place them 25 feet apart, you will be sitting about half a foot in front of the sweet spot if your back is against the 12' wall.

check out this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59536&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={2587FE8A-A144-4B76-A51C-B4555BAC03EF}

or if that doesn't work, go to the (sometimes working) search function and type in 'khorns on the long wall'

in that thread you'll find a post by steve that explains the optimal placement and room requirements.

best of luck,

Woo

In your profile, please specify your system: amps, subs, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks. 10.gif

First of all, thank you for welcoming me to this great forum.

In response to your questions I now have my system info and the preferred music in my profile.

Regarding the rest of the room, walls are wood-paneled, ceiling is plaster with exposed wood beams, right now the floor is covered with a nasty carpet on top of the cement slab. Carpet is coming off soon, and it'll probably be replaced with hard-wood with a couple of rugs thrown on top.

It warms my heart to know that I can put the K-Horns along the long wall. It's been a dream of mine to acquire a pair for a while now, but the space we lived in wouldn't allow for it.

If you had a deeper room than 12 feet it would be better, but don't let that stand in the way of your dream. What's on the other side of the wall that limits you to 12 feet? If you can knock out a wall or two without your house collapsing, that'd be great.

I agree with the width/depth issue, though from experience with my own similar shaped room I think you are going to be more that a foot too shallow for good imaging. I wound up needing a cornie in the center and balancing it carefully to get really good imaging.

OTOH, I'd prefer less than perfect 'horn imaging to precise imaging from some other POS speaker.

Dave

My room is 11' x 30' and I do not use all of the long wall. It would suck...

I have a temporary false wall at 18'. So one KHorn in a real corner and the other 18' away with a false wall. That way, both speakers aim directly at me when seated in the sweet spot. Man is it sweet!

3.gif

PSG has the right idea if your WAF is good. After all, a listening room is about the MUSIC.

My WAF is excellent, but I don't really have the false corner option for a variety of reasons.

We may be moving to the Gulf Coast in the next year or so and the wife is fully aware that the first thing I will look at in a house is the 'horn factor. If it ain't right for the 'horns, I don't care about the rest of it.

Dave