ok, some fricken awesome music

DrWho

Ok, all I can say is holy freak cow and wow times a million...I was just listening to the second CD of Ayreon's "Into the Electric Castle". I had a sore back going into this listening session and all the super deep subharmonic bass gave me a nice good back massage and I'm feeling great now. I think I've finally heard (or more like didn't hear) that 16Hz bass organ pedal. Man it's been awhile since I've heard a recording so clean that I could listen to a whole song at 110dB!!! In fact, I think I got a good 3 songs in at those volumes (small breaks inbetween just in case). I think a lot of you crazy old farts might actually like these albums, and especially you CLASSICAL FOLK. There was this one insane violin solo and I was just trying to picture the guy playing it...had to have been dripping sweat by the end of it, yet it was so musical and intense I love it.

Anyways, this would be like a combination of techno, metal, classical, hard rock, you name it it's in there. Heck, I even heard some scottish tunes (bagpipe perhaps?) In fact, there are a ton of classical melodies and harmonies and what not that I recognize from my orchestra playing days, but it's done with crazy style organs and guitars, drums, and even orchestras.

As far as production goes, this is by far the biggest sound I've ever heard...even my measly chorus II's are projecting a huge image. I can't imagine what it'd be like on khorns (so watch out, the next khorn system I demo is gonna have this ripping them apart).

So ya, writing this short sloppy review is going to make me late for class, but I had to get it off me chest. I love those short and sweet sonic experiences that make the whole hobby worthwhile. I started off critiquing the album and before I knew it I totally forgot where I was and my dog barking brought me back to reality. It's rare for me to get sucked into the music and this time was amazing and wanted to share it with y'all.

Skonopa...you MUST check these guys out as it's right down your ally. Today really put Dream Theatre to shame (isn't that blasphemy?). I wonder if it'll be like that the next time I listen.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/21/2005 5:29:59 PM DrWho wrote:

Today really put Dream Theatre to shame (isn't that blasphemy?). I wonder if it'll be like that the next time I listen.

----------------

Uh oh, where I come from, them's fightin' words!

NOBODY puts the DT Machine to shame! NOBODY!!! 1.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2005 5:35:54 PM Allan Songer wrote:

This is the first post I have read on this forum where I have absolutely NO CLUE what the writer is saying. Just goes to show you how great Klipsch speakers are . . .

----------------

You sayin' you get all the crap I post? I don't even do that...

----------------

...So ya, writing this short sloppy review is going to make me late for class, but I had to get it off me chest...

----------------

Undoubtedly English class! 2.gif

I have Khorns - and hearing protection! You have an invitation! Email me.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 5:48:58 PM nicholtl wrote:

NOBODY puts the DT Machine to shame! NOBODY!!!
1.gif

----------------

Well give them a listen and let me know what you think. 3.gif

(Btw, huge DT fan here myself)

Here's a few demos to try out:

http://www.ayreon.com/download/download.php?download_id=111&project_id=1

http://www.ayreon.com/download/download.php?download_id=114&project_id=1

http://www.ayreon.com/download/download.php?project_id=&download_id=113

To be honest the demos don't really capture the whole effect. The website demos are kinda like listening to a random line of music when it's written in a whole symphonic score or however you wanna call it (not to mention they sound really crappy). I've got the full album on my pc in a better mp3 format and wouldn't mind sending them out under the premise of demo'ing the music. Just drop me a PM with an email.

And here's an INTERPRETATION for those that didn't get the first post:

I popped in "Into the Electric Castle" (CD2) by Ayreon and I really enjoyed it.

----------------

On 7/21/2005 10:53:41 PM scriven wrote:

----------------

...So ya, writing this short sloppy review is going to make me late for class, but I had to get it off me chest...

----------------

Undoubtedly English class!
2.gif

I have Khorns - and hearing protection! You have an invitation! Email me.

----------------

It was math class actually and I even made it in time for our introduction to Laplace Transforms...woohoo! 14.gif

You've got a PM.

oh btw, 3.gif3.gif3.gif2.gif

I gotta back up the Doctor

Aureon's fidelity in almost all their albums is better, imho, than any DT album.

I say this while blasting their song The Banishment from The Final Experiment.

I wouldnt ever say Aureon or even Kamelot is better than DT though, no metal artists have been able to touch the skill DT has technically as musicians. One thing i've learned from dipping my toes into metal, that you really really have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy it and get into it. If it's hot, i'm sweating, i got a thousand ideas and problems my minds trying to work out, sometimes it just hits the spot just right.

-Joe

----------------

On 7/22/2005 1:46:37 AM Rdmarsiii wrote:

I honestly dont think you can get any better than Dream Theater... And Im not just saying that because they're my favorite band. Its not humanly possible
2.gif

----------------

AMEN!

But if you recommend it, Mike - the same Mike who likes Nightwish - then I'll have to give it a try.

What are these Kamelot and Muse references? I'm always looking for more music in this category (whatever that means)...sounds like y'all got similar tastes so what else do you listen to?

Part of my problem with DT is I've never been fully sucked into the music yet, but like someone mentioned you really gotta be in the right mood. I listened to all my Nightwish albums a good few hundred times before I stopped getting sucked into the mix (yes, in a row).

----------------

Skonopa...you MUST check these guys out as it's right down your ally. Today really put Dream Theatre to shame (isn't that blasphemy?). I wonder if it'll be like that the next time I listen.

----------------

I've heard of Ayreon! Quite interesting indeed! I'll admit that I kinda checked them out on (ahem)allofmp3.com(ahem). Into the Electric Castle is one of thier older releases (1998). I'll have to go see if I can find an actual copy of thier album (most likely the Borders around here will have it, since pretty much all the record stores around here suck - at least since Blue Dog (an indy shop that had some really obscure stuff) downtown as well as the F.Y.E. (probably the best damn collection of power/prog metal that I've ever seen in a record store) in the mall closed up.). BTW, I am listening to it now, and I'll admit, I really do like this! Quite good indeed!

But I do have to admit, I do agree with Nicolti here:

----------------

NOBODY puts the DT Machine to shame! NOBODY!!!
1.gif

----------------

And Allen:

----------------

This is the first post I have read on this forum where I have absolutely NO CLUE what the writer is saying. Just goes to show you how great Klipsch speakers are . . .

----------------

I actually did understand everything he said (I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed 6.gif11.gif)! I guess because it seems that me and 'Dr.Who' has a very simliar tastes in music (in this case, power/progressive rock and metal). Much of this music, when properly played and recorded, often shows off some incredible musicianship and talent! In my opinion, way more talent than the typical crap played on today's FM radio! I'll put the likes of Sonata Arctica up against Coldplay anyday of the week! I've listened to Coldplay's newest album - no thanks, I'll stick with Sonata Arctica.

Much of this music has some very complex texturing and voalization, as well as many tempo changes (it is not unusual to have a song be driving fast and hard, then slow down into an epic sounding orchestral interlude, then pick up again). Some of the more ambitions/epic acts incorporates full symphony orchestras (Symphony X, Stratovarious, Nightwish are a few artists/bands that comes to mind). Often times, the lyrics can be quite abstract, thus you really gotta listen to figure out just what the heck they are singing about. Ayreon, which is the band 'Dr.Who' was gushing about above, is very much like this. I am listening to it right now, and I'll admit, it is indeed friggan awesome! I personally love the complexity of this music. It is often engaging and can sound friggan incredible on a good system capable of rendering it in all its glory. Obviously, it is not for everyone. Also, it is just as incredible to get to see this performed live (provided the venue is decent).

Thanks 'Dr.Who' for the clue in. Damn nearly forgot about these guys! (Oh wait - Borders is opened till Eleven! time to make a record run!).

----------------

On 7/22/2005 8:43:24 AM DrWho wrote:

What are these Kamelot and Muse references? I'm always looking for more music in this category (whatever that means)...sounds like y'all got similar tastes so what else do you listen to?

----------------

You gotta check out Kamelot! While your at it, also check out Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Thunderstone, and any number of others that I'll be happy to dig up for you!

----------------

On 7/22/2005 2:31:57 AM nicholtl wrote:

But if you recommend it, Mike - the same Mike who likes Nightwish - then I'll have to give it a try.

----------------

Well, from somebody else that whole-heartedly endorsed Nightwish (just ask 'thebes'), I can honostly recommend this as well! I am now listening to The Final Experiemnt. Thier very first album that came out 10 years ago in 1995 (in fact, this is a "ten-year anniversery re-edition"). To bad Borders did not have Into the Electric Castle, as I really liked what I heard from allofmp3.com. I guess I'll have to order it through Amazon.

But, yes, I'll admit - Ayreon is quite good, but they are no Dream Theater!

Damn, does this sound friggan awesome on these '7s!

Wow This will be my 800th post9.gif

I have listend to Ayreon's music on and off for the last couple of years and the music is very good. The recordings are absolutly recorded well.

As far as Dream Theater goes I think they help put Prog back into the limelight.Seen them a couple of times. Pettrucci is an excellent guitarist, a bit technical though. What I mean by that is he lacks some feeling in his playing. Thats not a bad thing so don't take it wrong. I love Mike Portney, he is by far one of the top drummers today. James La Brey is a classic vocalist as well. But I still would not consider them the be all end all today IMHO.

If you like goog progressive rock or progressive metal then you should check out bands like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Katatonia and others. Heck you may already done this. There is some great prog coming out of Europe these days and I for one am very pleased about that.

scooter

----------------

On 7/22/2005 10:29:11 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

There is some great prog coming out of Europe these days and I for one am very pleased about that.

scooter

----------------

Sonata Arctica! Need I say more? These guys are just friggan incredible! I've actually got to see them live just this past spring. Definitly check these guys out!